The most important advice you'll get as a would be expat!

Thanks Gordon, you've made my whole evening. Once I pick myself up off the floor from laughing so hard I fell out of my chair, I'm going to read it again just for another laugh.

James. I'm guessing that you were laughing at the Bislama words! Classics, aren't they?

The "Air Delight" name I stole from the book "Let Stalk Strine", which was a compendium of made-up words and names. The same author also wrote "Fraffly Wells Poken" (or something like that), which took the p*ss out of the RP English accent. Of the Strine words, the only one we regularly use in our house is "bimbye". "Watch out! There's a bimbye!" we warn, when there's a centipede loose in the house.*** The explanation given in the Strine book was "Maarm, I've bin bimbye a spider!" As in "bitten by", of course. It could pass for Bislama, at a pinch, couldn't it?
*** Oh, we also say "New Zild", for "New Zealand", from the book.

But what about the Texans, y'all?

The Aussies couldn't possibly be worse than anybody from the Lone Star State!

Cheers,
JJ

HaileyinHongKong wrote:
wjwoodward wrote:

Last I heard in Oz they speak a form of the English language, I think. Just like the USA does, only much different than the King's (or Queen's) English.

I work with some Australians and they're harder to understand than Californians.

Strewth sheila whdda yah on about. Anyway havvagudday

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

I still don't know what "he pinched me daks in the dunnie" means.

And it will please God if you never find out from personal experience, girl.

A recent topic posting that not only proves what I've been saying all along, but also shows exactly the kind of UNEXPECTED RESULTS that learning and using the local language can have.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=348836

Thankyou, justachicaincostarica for your excellent lesson for everybody here!

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

This is excellent. Well said!

I feel like this is obvious, but I'm sure alot of people do not do this!

Hi tomboj21,

You'd be amazed just how many people actually RESIST learning the local language of non-English speaking nations they expatriate to. Many have fallen for the propaganda of English language schools that tells people they'll be able to communicate all over the globe if they speak English. Well, maybe for the most basic of conversations for tourists this may be true, but it certainly is not true for people who move to those countries to spend and great length of time.

Then there are still others who have the EXPECTATION that the locals should speak English to them! A ridiculous attitude to say the very least, especially when it comes from citizens of some nations who demand that foreigners learn and speak English when they immigrate to their nation. This is especially true of the nation with the largest English speaking population on Earth, but that's the way they are, isn't it?

I could not agree more with wjwoodward's post.
In my 40+ years of travelling and working in different countries I have come across many people who think that locals of whatever country they are in should understand English and so do not bother to even purchase a phrasebook to help them along.
Many countries now demand that you take a language test as part of citizenship applications.
My language skills are zip, but I make an effort to learn a little and locals appreciate that you at least make the effort.

I found much easy to learn some of respected words and mingle with the locals to learn the rest of the conversation....Yes i agree with you stumpy, knowing local language is more advantage and once you know the language you can solve the things in a easier way..............

Well put... it also helps you to feel at home away from home...

Welcome to Expat-Blogs.............
Yes sometimes if you are with locals and every thing goes well.....you can feel the home away from home...........

paranoid00 wrote:

Culture n language is VERY important, at the vry least learn to say hello and thanks.
another important thing imo, dont be shy to talk to ppl first, even tho u dont speak the language vry well, they will apreciate your effort (and you might be some kind of entertainment too lol)

Exactly!!! I couldn't agree with you more. Actually, the local people you speak to will probably teach you more about the language than you'll ever learn by taking classes and it's free! Free is always goooooooooood.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

This is the best way i experienced to learn a language when moving with locals and true its free of cost...............

i like your article

Good point...no excuses when you stay for a long period to not attempt to learn the necessary
language to get by.

some one has an advice on how to become an expat .?

ciciks wrote:

Move abroad - then you are an expat.

ciciks wrote:

Find a job in another country and then move there...

True

The most useful advice i can give to a expat to be a quote from Chales Darwin :

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that ... ones who most accurately perceive their environment and successfully adapt to it.

adopting is the key to be successful and happy in a new country, it can be learning the language  and customs , to finding local friends .

Cheers
Narineh

I have noticed over the years in my home state of Texas .Many people complain about all the Mexicans moving here but not knowing any English.Some of these same people travel to other countries. The first thing they complain about is that nobody speaks English! LMAO   You can't have it both ways. This is why I learned Spanish when I was younger and I am learning Portuguese now ! I think it's an insult to the native people to move to a new country and not learn the language !!!

I agree with U

THAT S RIGHT

rc206 wrote:

I have noticed over the years in my home state of Texas .Many people complain about all the Mexicans moving here but not knowing any English.

Given Texas was part of Mexico until invaded by Americans, they have little to complain about.

More to expats.
I was often accused of racism in England because I suggested ALL immigrants to the UK should learn English.
It isn't racist, just common sense.
You simply can't live in a country if you can't communicate with the locals.
You don't have to be able to translate a technical manual, just have enough to get around, shop and so on.

As for Texas !!!!The earliest people who lived in Texas were there during the late stages of the Ice Age. Scientists can identify them by the kind of weapons they made for hunting. By around 6000 BC, there is evidence that people were shifting away from a life focused on hunting and gathering, to a more settled agricultural society. We know this from the discovery of tools used for grinding grain to be used for food. From around 1,000 BC, we find evidence of large numbers of people being buried in ritualized ways, by using burial mounds, which indicates a substantial growth in the population in the area. Sometime around 1,000 AD, there begins to be evidence of long-distance trade in the use of materials that are not native to the area, and must have been acquired through contact with groups of people living some distance away.

The "historical" period in Texas begins with the first visits to the area by Europeans, specifically the Spanish and the French. There is also evidence that tribal groups from other parts of North America, such as the Comanche and the Apache, also came to Texas. By the early 18th century, the influence of these groups had substantially changed life for the original inhabitants of the area.                                                                                                                                               The original people living in what we know as Mexico are considered "native", and they migrated from the Eastern Asia area across land, and also from islands in the Pacific Ocean. Anthropologists are still theorizing, and discovering, more evidence on the many people who visited and lived in Mexico before the Spanish came to Ancient Native American civilizations--including those of the MAYA, OLMEC, ZAPOTEC, MIXTEC, TOLTEC, and AZTEC--flourished there for centuries before the Spanish conquest in the 16th century. The Pyramid of the Sun, built in the 2nd century AD, dominates the landscape of the ancient city of Teotihuacan in Mexico. Teotihuacan was the first true city in Mesoamerica, at its peak (AD c.600) it housed more than 100,000 people. history of Mexico, a country located in the southern portion of North America, covers a period of more than three millennia. First populated more than 13,000 years ago,[1] the territory had complex indigenous civilizations before being conquered by the Spanish in the 16th century. So, just like America.Mexico's native people were indians.The Spanish stole the land from the Indians.Just like the Americans did.Mexicans always say that Americans stole there land ! BS!!!!! You can't steal what was never yours!!!!!!!

So Texans should hold signs that read, "learn Mayan or get out".

LMAO  Exactly !!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, Austin. Your photo shows you to be very young. Have you really LIVED in all the places you've flagged? (If so, I congratulate you!)

GORDO !!!!!!!   I am 52 YEARS YOUNG !!!!!!!!! Thanks !!!!!! I get that all the time !!!!  I am an Army brat.I was born in Vicenza Italy and traveled with my father a US army officer.During high school in Texas.I traveled to Mexico and Central America. I then served in US Navy as a fleet corpsman for a few years.I left out some places in the military for security reasons!  After that I traveled a lot in college and over the years.I still have a few places in Brazil that I haven't updated to the present.Several of the countries on my list. I only lived a month to a few months but I still mentioned them.Since they have added to my expat experiences and my life .I also add the places that I lived in the US .When I returned from my stays in other countries.I hope this is acceptable with this expat community rules.  :)

I don't think there are rules about it, but I inly indicated the places where I lived (rather than just visited). In my case, that means at least 12 months. I also didn't list moves within a country.

I can always go back and correct this ! When I have the time. Since it asked for dates with months and years. I thought it wanted to know where I had traveled and lived over the years. I didn't know their was a specific time like a year. To me living somewhere ! Is when you start hanging and living like the locals and not like a tourist !!!

rc206 wrote:

To me living somewhere ! Is when you start hanging and living like the locals and not like a tourist !!!

If that were the condition, then most typical expats could not list any of the countries they lived in!

rc206 wrote:

I am 52 YEARS YOUNG !!!!!!!!! Thanks !!!!!! I get that all the time !!!! 
... I only lived a month to a few months but I still mentioned them.Since they have added to my expat experiences and my life .I also add the places that I lived in the US .When I returned from my stays in other countries.I hope this is acceptable with this expat community rules.  :)

Well, congratulations on looking so young, then! You're a credit to clean living. 

I don't think there are any community rules about flags; I just like to distinguish between where people have lived as expats - this being an expats' site and all - and where people have just passed through. I used to be a budget-traveller in my long-distant youth (and have written about some of that on my blog), and visited most of "my" 70-odd countries in that capacity, but have been an expat in only a few of them.

that is really cool

yeah, i agree

If I added all the flags of all the countries I have visited then the list would be rather long. The flags on my list are the countries I have lived and worked in for 12 months or more. They cover 50 years of work.

You're all doing it wrong.  Whoever has the least flags is the winner.

And the winner is ... ???

Succeed in your expat family project with advice from other expats

OR