Moving to Saudi

Hi we are looking to moving to Saudi for my husband to work in April I am a40 yr old English woman and would like to know how things will be . We will be living on a compound and was just wondering what it's like for a western woman on site . My daughter is due to have a baby in June so I will be going back to uk for few weeks in May how easy is it to go back and forth thx

ali.live wrote:

Hi,
Going back and forth depends on what visa type will you be arriving on. If your husband has been given a work visa there will be a good two weeks processing (approx) before you can go anywhere.

Actually, once you have an iqama (residence card) here, it doesn't take 2 weeks for any sort of processing.  The exit and re-entry visa can be printed by companies and so needs at most 1-2 days notice.

Also, Foxydale, will you be arriving with your husband at the same time?  Because in most cases, the employee arrives first, and then after 2-4 months, his/her dependents can come.  Only in rare cases have I heard that families havre arrived together.  So if your husband is arriving in April, you might not be able to come here till June or later anyway.

As for how it is for women, do a search on the site using the search box, as this has been discussed many times.  To be blunt, it is a shopping, eating, and socializing culture and society here, and to that end, there is no lack of fancy malls with all the high street stores you would find in the UK, and fancy sit down restaurants, both local and international chains.  Great place if you want to explore or develop a hobby/skill, or for pursuing online studies, exactly due to the lack of the kinds of activities you might be accustomed to in the west.  Compounds are nice, though, and you will enjoy compound life.

I live in Sharbatly compound, Just moved here 2 weeks back. It is the Best. Fenced around and recreational facilities available.