Moving to Cebu

Hello everyone I will be moving to Cebu on the 14FEB14. I will be attending Visayas University of Cebu Institute of technology to finish my computer Science degree. Im hoping to find people who have experience with Cebu city. A couple of questions I have are:
1. What area of the city should I rent an apartment?
2. How much should I be looking to spend for a 1b/1b (furnished) on average?
3. What does a maid typically charge(out not living with me)?
4. Does any know where I can take Cebuano lessons and how much do they charge?
5. Where can I take cooking classes?
6. Where do the locals shop? not interested in the obvious SMs. Im looking for markets like in Thailand and Cambodia.

Im working on Budget of $1500 a month but can adjust to $2,000 if needed. Any other suggestions/information anyone has would be great to hear. Thank you in advance.

halo rey, are you a mixbreed american? i am from cebu, you can choose alot of places to rent an apartment, you can rent ranging from Php 5000 to 15k a month, normally 1 month deposit n 1 month advance, water and electricity not included, trry to scout apartments in mabolo area or mandaue, so many yellow pages or even local newspaper are available to look and check, if you want you can also go to an agent to guid you for your security, do not worry cebu is an english speaking city, maids will range from 2k to 3500, you can give a meal or let her cook then you can make a deal of 2500 per month, she will do everything the cleaning, cooking, washing and ironing. we have this public market called carbon public market and some other small wet market, but it is better you shop in malls as we have huge malls and numbers of them, you will have all you need in one stop shop, most of the jeepney routes are one ride only goin to the malls, discos, schools, churches and parks. again browse the net for cebuano speaking language lessons if you want to learn, you can learn from your maid usually and the neighbors your going to have, same with the cooking lesson have your maid teach you or look for a girlfriend that had a passion in cooking. you will never be bored in cebu, you can go to the white sand beaches of lapu lapu city, or go to the tops where you can see all of cebu during the night, almost everything is in cebu, by boat, ship, plain, car, horse and bike, enjoy your stay. do you like to met my family in cebu? they are in labangon area also one ride from CIT. keep in touch..anymore questions??? :one

15,000 php is the least you will want to spend if you live in Cebu city.  if you try to pay any less than that, you will live in a squatter area and there will not be many foriegners around. in my experience, Cebu was one of the most expensive places to live. I rented a new condo across from ayala mall for 25k and a very small condo near i.t. park for 15k..  I had looked at many that were less money, but I would never feel safe there and for me, safety is my priority.   you can spend 25k or more if you want to live with western standards..

Thanks for the reply, it do happens I found a very nice place near Robinson mall for 19k. So far I think I can save a lot of the money I had planned for my budget.i haven't received my water and electric bill but I don't anticipate it being over 5k for the month.

rey0123 wrote:

Hello everyone I will be moving to Cebu on the 14FEB14. I will be attending Visayas University of Cebu Institute of technology to finish my computer Science degree. Im hoping to find people who have experience with Cebu city. A couple of questions I have are:
1. What area of the city should I rent an apartment? you should find one in usc area or in labangon area.
2. How much should I be looking to spend for a 1b/1b (furnished) on average? at an average around 6k-15k
3. What does a maid typically charge(out not living with me)?4-6k
4. Does any know where I can take Cebuano lessons and how much do they charge? hmmm.. there are many cebuanos that i know, let me know if you havent found one yet.
5. Where can I take cooking classes? there is a good culinary school in guadalupe
6. Where do the locals shop? not interested in the obvious SMs. Im looking for markets like in Thailand and Cambodia.   YOU SHOULD try Carbon market or Taboan or Pasil. :)

Im working on Budget of $1500 a month but can adjust to $2,000 if needed. Any other suggestions/information anyone has would be great to hear. Thank you in advance.

Please find my answer to your queries above. and the amount is in pesos...

Hi there,
Kumusta ka.

If anyone has any ideea about the roughly expat salaries in hospitality management ie. food & beverage manager, director in hotels/resorts, would luv to hear about it.
I am living for almost 3 years in Caribbean and luv Philippines (been there about 10 times a tourist) and i am looking to come with a job there going forward to retire there.
I know for sure i won't get the same package like in here, but as well know the cost of living is muuuuuuch cheaper than here.
Was approached for  a position to open a 5* hotel in Boracay  but i refused it (even though i luv the island, been there few times), the package seem to low for me: USD $2500 net a month, plus single accommodation on hotel grounds and usual expat package ie. health insurance, flights

Now i was approached again for another position in Cebu City, higher position, much bigger property and responsibility.
In the package is included accommodation on hotel grounds, food and beverages, laundry service. I do travel with my wife and they know and accepted.
Wanted to get a feel about salaries and if is realistic as i will not go for any position less than USD 4000 net/ month plus expat package ie accommodation, tickets, health insurance etc.

Warm regards,
Claudiu

Hello Claudin,

Finding a job here is not easy.  The best way to relocate here is with a sponsored job working for a company.  Wages and salaries here are not as high for the same job in another country.  Most government officials don't make more than $3,000.00USD (134,000php) a month salary.  If you travel here and look for work you may find some difficulties in actually getting the job.  Work permits are required for foreigners here.  A sponsored job will get you the work permit and work visa so you can stay here without any problems.

Hope this helps, RAC

Hi rcampsr,

Thank you for your reply.
I am not considering just turning up, like I said in my post I was offered a job and refused it in Boracay, and now I was approached for another one in Cebu City.
I realize and don't expect either to get a package like here in Caribbean, I was interested if my threshold of $4K-4.5K net / month is realistic and a good salary to negotiate for an expat manager in hospitality considering the expat package (housing, food & beverage, health insurance, tickets etc) is offered as well.
In terms of work permit for me and endorsement for my wife, the company has to deal with.

Claudiu

Your water should be about 500 and electric, well that depends on how long and often you use your AC.....but 5000 would be more than enough to cover those bills

Don