Crossroads

Hi everyone!!
   so i will be completing my high school this year hoping to graduate to the university by the end of the year. As a result, i have been doing a lot of research on the kind of university i will like to attend, due to financial reason i concluded  that Ukraine is the best place to study engineering for now. but i will like to find out a few details from those who are already in Ukraine to complete my search and help me make up my mind.
1) Is it really true that there is a high level of racism against blacks in Ukraine, i once read an article of an ambassador of Nigeria to Ukraine warning Africans not to school in Ukraine.
2) If i want to study in Ukraine must i spend 6months learning the language? i also learnt (from the net) that most courses are taught in the local language.
3) Can i get a menial job to do as a student to support myself in school? i also learnt that its close to impossible to get a work for most blacks in Ukraine.
4) Are Ukrainians hospitable to both whites and blacks? have you ever heard of a native Ukrainian offering a black man a huge favour or accommodation or even employment?
5) in your own view how is life in Ukraine for a foreigner?
                       Please this is a life decision and i will really appreciate it if you offer a little help. your little contribution might help save me from a lot of future danger.

My wife is from south-eastern Ukraine, and it seems people are a bit racist, at least there. My wife is not, but she seems to be in the minority if you know what I mean. Do not base your decision completely on my reply. I have only been traveling there since 2008, and only for a couple of weeks at a time. I do not know how the natives would respond in places like Kiev or Odessa, or in university cities. I am sure you will get other advice from other blog members. Truthfully I have seen very very few blacks anywhere in Ukraine.

In any event Good Luck in whatever you decide:)

wow thanks a lot. thats a very important info.

In Kharkiv there are a lot of students from all over the world that study there.  I do not know about the racism aspects or the employment.  I know that jobs are hard to come by in the Ukraine.  I have my own business in California and I am not dependent upon earning an income in the Ukraine.  I wish you the best of luck.  Be sure to study your Russian if you go to Kharkiv to study.

Hi, Ukraine is still a developing country and there is not much abundance like America to show huge favors for foreigners, because there are many people here with low pay. As far a racism is concerned, it depends on your skill, some africans find freinds while others are not so socially confident and they stick to their groups. Try to find some Africans on your social networking sites and chat with them before you move. It will be tough but you if you're determined to get what you want, nothing can stop you. Good luck and do research by talikng to people who look like you, because that seems to be your main concern.

Thanks! Actually im not concerned about talking to people who look like me alone. I'm more concerned about chatting with people from other countries and localities, that is the essence of travels. My social skills are close to perfect, so that really won't be a problem. the problem will be if they will be comfortable chatting with me despite the fact that im black.  Thanks once again.

You have a nice personality, you should be able to make friends quickly.

Hi what I meant was, ask other Africans if they find it easy to make friends with Ukrainians, I've seen that most Africans are making friends with girls, but not so much with guys. The Ukrainian guys usually have their own circles and its because of the language, black or white is a secondary issue. Please understand this, if you need to make Ukrainian friends, your English skills will be redundant. You need to be very good in Russian for South & East of Ukraine (Russian crowds) and good in Ukrainian for west part (European crowds) of Ukraine. Very few people speak English.

Hope it helps.

wow. thanks alot.