Relocating to Mauritius from India

Hi all,

I am relocating to Mauritius in next month for 2-3 years of tennure.I am from India.My office will be at the Capital city, i.e. Port Louis..On the basis of this expecting yours suggestions and advices on some matters...

1.Is the fully furnished rented accomodation available in Port Louis..What would be the price range for a decent fully furnished 2BHK rented accomodation??Please suggest.

2.I will need Mobile SIM card there for my mobile handset.

Will I need to buy a fresh mobile handset to get a SIM card or only SIM card is available to put into my present (Nokia )mobile set.

3.I will be given accomodation by the company..except that my salary would be 45000 MUR per month..How is the savings potential there in this much of salary..Can I live a comfortable life with my wife there with this salary?

Please suggest...so that I can have some light on this....

Best Regards,
Mukut..Kolkata(Calcutta)
India

Dear Mukut

Let me wish you a warm welcome in Mauritius.

Though a nice place, I would not advise you to stay in Port-Louis. Instead, surrounding areas at 15-20 minutes drive from Port-Louis would be more pleasant.

The price of decent fully furnished accommodation may vary from less than MRU 10,000/- to over MRU 30,000/-. Still, with some nice contacts, such as through this forum, you could secure a decent one at a “decent” price.

Your freshly bought mobile handset would suffice, and you would just need to get a SIM card.

Savings depends mostly on your way of life. Many Mauritian couples live a comfortable life on a lesser amount than MUR 45000/-, and manage to make some savings too.

By the way, in which line of expertise are you?

Cheers

Vayid – [email protected]

Hi Mukut,

Just keep in mind that out of MUR 45000 , 15% will be deducted as taxes. If your company gives you accomodation still you will be able to live a comfortable life.Please again check with your company as BOI will not give occupational permit for salary lower than MUR 75,000.For MUR 45000 less 15% I doubt if you will be able to save anything as the cost of living is more expensive then india. However you will have a better life compared to Calcutta.

Thanks Vayid –

Really feeling good to see your reply..

I am in finance stream...

I will keep in mind your suggestions especially on accomodation part..Basically I am a bit worried on this part as I need a fully furnished 2BHK rented accomodation..

Meanwhile I have been reading thoroughly on Mauritius as I strongly beleive to know and understand the country and its wide culture and people..

Will be in touch..

have a good time...Thank you..

hi terence ...thank you for your views...i am not a spendthrift..will live in a decent social life there...need to check that how far i can save on what basis...but i need some inputs on fully furnished rented accomodation in or around port louis...

thanks..mukut

Hi Mukut,

To get an idea on accomodation prices, have a look on :
Mauritius Classifieds

and also

expressproperty

Cheers
Arlette

Hi, seeing the discussions in this forum there is a confusion between "occupational permit" and "work permit".Howz it different ..for occupational permit the minimum basic pay package is 75 k MUR but foir work permit any such thing there?

2.Is the company responsible for obtaining the work permit visa for me once I get down there or i should get that before hand before reaching in Mauritius?

3.should the residential permit visa be applied seperately?

4.My wife will go there in Dependent visa...is there any chance for her to get a job there locally?

Seeking your views please...

Cheers
Mukut

[moderated: no free ads]

cheers Faz

mukut wrote:

Hi, seeing the discussions in this forum there is a confusion between "occupational permit" and "work permit".Howz it different ..for occupational permit the minimum basic pay package is 75 k MUR but foir work permit any such thing there?

Cheers
Mukut

You will have all the pertinent answers in this document - except for the following:
Work Permit

and

Occupational Permit

Note: They haven't changed the salary conditions for a Professional and the other regulations but you have an idea

plus the FAQ on the OP

BTW; This was discussed in a previous thread :
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16994 specially posts #7,9 and 10

Hi All,

I have a simple question...

What is work permit and what is occupational permit and what is the difference between the two????

I have an offer of 45 k per month offer..in which permit i will be eligible for?

Please suggest...

mukut wrote:

Hi All,

I have a simple question...

What is work permit and what is occupational permit and what is the difference between the two????
Occupational Permit : Salary Rs 75000 or higher
It is a permit that allows an eligible non-citizen to
reside and work in Mauritius.

I have an offer of 45 k per month offer..in which permit i will be eligible for? Work Permit
I am cc'ing what has already been posted in the link :

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16994

To get a work permit, you need to do the medical tests, and then submit it to the Ministry of Health for clearance. You put this clearance in your application for work permit.

Your employer needs to justify the need of your competencies. If this doesn't fall within the official scarcity area, the employer will need to prove that he advertised in the press and got no suitable solution on the local labour market. This is the kind of permit skilled labours (textiles operators, labourers, etc) get. They normally earn less than Rs30,000 Rs 75000 per month and therefore do not qualify for occupation permits.

Please suggest...

Hey hi,

I will be moving to Mauritius in August and my job falls under the WORK permit. My employer first asked me to produce various health certificates FROM MY HOME COUNTRY. Big difference with the occupational permit: for the work permit you start the medical exams at home, a board of doctors examines it and gives you medical clearance - but some exams have to be done AGAIN in Mauritius within a week of your arrival.

Then they sent me my contract, an application form for a residence permit (and this requires you to give the names and addresses of two people in Mauritius who can give information about you, as well as an address for you there, which is a bit baffling as usually nobody has an accomodation yet at this point of the procedure, but my boss just told me to leave it blank and he'll take care of it) and another for the work permit.

You have to produce quite a number of documents for both, photos, copies of your passport, and, for the work permit, certified copies of your diplomas along with full justification of your professional experience. Your boss also has to write a letter explaining why they need to hire you and not a Mauritian.

It takes the examination board at least six weeks to deliver the residence permit and the work permit, so don't waste any time!!!

Hope that helps!