Moving my company of apply for a job?

Hello, community!
I am Alex, Russian, almost 40 yo, and I am a newby. Hope you'll accept neophyte :)
Here comes my story and a question.

From one hand I am happily married guy lucky enough to spend honeymoon in Mauritius. We happened to be smart enough to not just waste time in the luxury hotel but rather explore the Island. As of the result we loved the place and keep dreaming of moving there. Just feel like we both need better emotional climate (not even talking about weather  :) )

From the other hand I am occupied in telecom and software industry for almost 20 years (various positions and companies) ended up being in executive positions during last 8 years or so. Currently managing a software company based in Finland being a partial owner. The company is small having an annual turnover around 300K Eur and used to make loses or zero profit (last couple of years). Now it looks like it is about to make profit. My wife is highly skilled economist, expert in investment banking. Thinking of having a maternity leave though ;)

Now comes the question part. Assuming the goal is to stay on the Island for at least couple of years:

- Does it make sense to re-locate my company to Mauritius in order to optimise taxation? I believe people should be doing that once in a while, but I failed to find clues in those topics I browsed so far. Cause existing customers are in Russia and Nordic Europe this will imply some excessive flights costs for me...

- Or is it better to give the company up and apply myself for some "decent Cyber-City job"? The issue is they seems to publish Senior/Executive positions quite seldom: for that type of carriers they are obviously using some consultants.

I believe I am aware of the life costs, primarily thanks to this blog secondary by personal experience, but I am sort of missing the "income" part. So I will highly appreciate any suggestions on which company/consultant to contact!

And yeah, this isn't urgent - some half a year to year is a moving time frame. :)

Thanks a lot to those patient enough to read this far! :)

I think applying for a job or how about you n your wife start a business

katya15 wrote:

I think applying for a job...

Thanks for a prompt reply! Based on it I think I did put the second part of my question a bit unclear, my bad. I mean where do I find professional communities, consultants etc - I believe they should exist  :) Going though several basic on-line job-search-facilities (like jobsearchmauritius.com myjob.mu etc) gave me quite a few senior positions. So I became concerned am I looking wrong direction?

katya15 wrote:

... or how about you n your wife start a business

I established couple of businesses. What I learned from that is I shall either be very lucky or understand what I am planning to do. So I'd better check the culture and bus enviroment first :)

As of starting new family business... Hm... We might do it some day, but yet we need to go a little further towards the Enlightment ;)

Hi Alex,

From what I have understood, you are in the telecommunication sector and your wife in banking and finance. Actually, these are the 2 fastest growing sectors on the island and also the 2 main pillars of the Mauritian economy.
Getting a job in those fields is easy, however being a foreigner you will be subjected to some immigration conditions like your monthly salary should exceed a certain amount in the case of a job. For investment, there is a minimum initial investment which must be undertaken by the applicant and the annual turnover should exceed certain amount to be eligible for an Occupation permit.

Therefore, you can either look for a job in the telecom or IT sector or start your own business. Moving your company to Mauritius will certainly ease your establishment as the government is seeking foreign investments. However, you must also weight the pros and cons of such an endeavour and if this will affect your business in some way or another.
With your level of experience and professional course, you will be considered certainly.
I suggest you contact OTAM which is the main association for matters regarding the telecommunication and ICT industry in Mauritius.

http://www.otam.mu/files/index.php

As for your wife being well versed in investment banking and finance, she will have no trouble getting a job in the financial, offshore or banking sector in Mauritius.
The Global Business industry especially is expanding fast in Mauritius and the island becoming an important player in the financial offshore sector both in the region and worldwide. A skilled financier will definitely be a major asset to the industry especially if she happens to know the Russian market very well and has the capability to bring businesses from Russia, Russian expats or others from the region. Mauritius is actually looking to diversify its GB markets and expanding its portfolio.

However, to be able to work, she will have to apply for a separate permit.

For any other information, you must contact the Board of Investment. It is the sole government body appointed to promote investment and to facilitate the entry of highly skilled foreigners into the country.

http://www.investmauritius.com/

Feel free to ask if you have any query.

Good luck!