Coffee Confidential

I'm a coffee afficionado...it's the Greek in me.

Meanwhile here's what you can expect from my limited exposure to local sources:
I am describing your basic cappucino

Starbucks: known worldwide as overpriced and weak ($5!!)
Seattles Best: Boil the milk and burn the coffee
Cinnabon:      'see above'
Krispy Kreme:  May as well drink hot milk 8SR
Salwa Compound Cafe: they use the nescafe ground coffee pods
                     large cup, good flavour, 10SR
Four Seasons Hotel: good cappucino with 5 star price 28SR
Dunkin Donuts: basic American coffee is good as long as it hasn't been sitting in the percolator all morning. about 9SR

Apart from my Melitta coffee and Plunger (French Press) that I prepare in my hotel room, the most authentic coffee experience came from Haagen Daz in Kingdom Mall yesterday!
I noticed they use an expensive Italian brand of coffee..Illy?
I ordered a machiatto..shot of espresso with some milky foam..bliss..it hit the spot and cost 10SR
Do yourself a flavor and try it!:D

I plan to drink a lot more coffees here so share your discoveries.

I eagerly await the arrival of my espresso machine from home.

PS If you love coffee NEVER order it in a Chinese restaurant..trust me, they do a great job with tea.

PPS The only place I will drink Nescafe (powdered) is at an Indian railway station..strong yet milky and sweet..sustenance for any journey and a tiny 5 Rupee.

Caribou at Marina mall is my favorite off compound the coffee is better than other chain cafes and it has nicest environment for women to drink coffee.

The coffee shop at FAL uses serve Illy coffee (very good Italian brand)my favorite overall.

dont u know reviews shudnt be done alone!! ;)

shahab.ali wrote:

dont u know reviews shudnt be done alone!! ;)

Now, now Shahab, surely you don't want to be seen drinking coffee with your Ninja Momma:lol:

@ Alethe I know of Marina Mall in Dubai but wasn't aware of a marina in Riyadh..yes Illy is excellent

There isn't a Marina here ;)  But the Mall with that name is an older one near Riyadh gallery.  A lot of the shop space inside is empty and the only reason I ever go there is to visit the coffee shop.

They have outdoor tables in nice garden area behind a high wooden fence which is really nice in the evenings.

Coming from Sri Lanka I still think and believe that good old Ceylon Tea is the winner....

They have outdoor tables in nice garden area behind a high wooden fence which is really nice in the evenings

Maybe this would be a nice place to have a girl's only meetup one of these nights!

Marina is a brand new Mall that opened onloy a few months back. Its located on Olaya Road right opposite Riyadh Gallery. GreatFood Court upstairs too.

Loanna, are you telling me that you haven't tried Dr. Cafe yet? I think its one of the best in Riyadh, give it a try (not the faysalia mall shop though)

still... home made Turkish coffee FTW

On the road, there are drive-up coffee shops and each time we are heading for Bahrain from Jubail, we try to time it so that we can stop and get an exceptionally good coffee.

I have the mocha and my friend likes vanilla.  As I go by tomorrow (Bahrain trip...yeah!) I will suss out the name.

For me the best cafe here is Cafe Rome in Alhamdan st (crossed with Al tahlyah st). U go and smell their Turkish coffee with milk, then and there, u tell me if u can resist it ;)

No idea what it's called but there is a great coffee shop opposite Carefore in Granada Mall.

I think it's just by exit 5.

That might be Dr. Cafe.  Outdoor seating?  Nice inclosed seating areas for families?  I liked it, too.

Inside the mall there is cafe directly opposite the Carefour.  The coffee is pretty good but the family section is horrid.

Tiny boxes with very high partitions and when I've been there they insisted on closing the cubicle curtains.

Turkish coffee :mad: is not even close to the concept of coffee,i never dared to try but the smell is un bearable.our Tea boy used to make it quite often for the Arab staff and i could never stand it.When i asked him and my hubby about the taste,both told me about the yucckyy taste of it.:/ Hey Ioanna,have u ever seen Pan,Kattha in India?Its looks just same. :lol:
Yeah Allie,I like the idea ...eagles can meet over there. :kiss:

now I would love to hear some feadback on Saudi (Arabian) Coffee.

especially from our very own afficionado :D

Salman

jeeze, Salman.. I HAVE to say it.  That profile pic makes your nose look the size of Mars!  Ditch that photo and let everybody see you for the cutie you are!

wow, that was fast.  Didn't know I had such power of suggestion!  :lol::lol::lol:

I like Arabic coffee although I'll be contentious here and say that I think Omani coffee is much better than the Saudi version.

Saudi (Arabian) Coffee.

Sorry.

Can't stand it. 

Only drink it when offered, to keep from offending the person offering it.

MisterStretch wrote:

Saudi (Arabian) Coffee.

Sorry.

Can't stand it. 

Only drink it when offered, to keep from offending the person offering it.

:D

well, at least I know your a good sport.

Saudi coffee when it's bad is dreadful.  But if they get the spice treatment right it can be lovely.  It is very hit and miss though.

First time I was offered Arabic coffee by a Saudi colleague who'd brought it to work, he also gave me a piece of chocolate.  He explained that he couldn't tolerate the taste of the coffee without eating something sweet at the same time (I think that's why dates are so often served with the coffee) lol

Anyway, that said a LOT about the taste!  I've gotten used to it and rather like it now. That said, I'm also very happy it's served in tiny little cups and not in MUGS! :lol::lol:

I'm also very happy it's served in tiny little cups and not in MUGS!

Despite the little cups it usually takes me ages to finish drinking one of these, I take a sip then I look into the cup again and it doesn't seem to be any less than before, these are magical tiny cups for sure, if they'd ever serve it in mugs you'd have to carry yours for the rest of your life... not to mention you'd have to live on a dates tree to maintain the supply :rolleyes:

Sandman - Yes, the coffee shop across form the Carefoure at the Granada Mall is great.  I love the Costa Rican coffee - clearly my fav!!!!  Then comes Dunkin Donuts Coffee and then 8 OClock Coffee from the states!  :top:

Alethe - yes, the family section is dreadful!

MadMaz wrote:

I'm also very happy it's served in tiny little cups and not in MUGS!

Despite the little cups it usually takes me ages to finish drinking one of these, I take a sip then I look into the cup again and it doesn't seem to be any less than before, these are magical tiny cups for sure, if they'd ever serve it in mugs you'd have to carry yours for the rest of your life... not to mention you'd have to live on a dates tree to maintain the supply :rolleyes:

Hehehe[I just noticed, my most of posts starts with "hehehe",cant help it out :lol::lol::lol: This is true, I had to take it once although, I had dates along but the taste drove me crazy :lol::lol::lol: First time, it was some sheesha Parlor owner who offered me One and had to keep my face "smiley" while drinking it and he thought i may like it a lot and tried to offer me another cup :( Yes, but I survived: lol::lol::lol:

joe911 wrote:

For me the best cafe here is Cafe Rome in Alhamdan st (crossed with Al tahlyah st). U go and smell their Turkish coffee with milk, then and there, u tell me if u can resist it ;)

I grew up on this type of coffee with milk..next time I am in the area I will try it..thanks