Health care coverage

hi, i'm looking for some info and hope someone who has moved to belize can help. my wife and i (common law) are thinking of retiring in belize for at least 6 to 8 months of the year. we would qualify for the QRP program (i think) but not sure how the health care system works? can we join the health care system there or do we have to get private insurance? i had a heart attack 4 years ago but have had no problems, although i have to take medications now because of it and have had an internal diffibulator installed for precautionary reasons. i'm hoping someone there reading this might have had similar before moving there from canada? are meds easy to get? any info at all would help, thanks

Hi.  I'm American so many of my answers may not fit, but I will be happy to share what I think might be generally relevant.  I had a 3x CABG about a year before I moved to Corozal, Belize.  I was on eleven meds when I arrived.  Now I am on one.  I use Five Rivers medical Clinic here in Corozal.  It is a husband and wife team of MDs.  Office visits are $15 BZ  or you can subscribe for unlimited visits for one year for $120 BZ.  I have found the doctors there to be competent, up to date and willing to refer when they cannot meet needs.

thank-you very much for the info :)