Basse Terre without a car

Hi,
I am not an expat but I am considering coming on holiday and finding it very difficult to find a good forum in English.
I would really like to stay near Deshaies village but do not want to hire a car.

Is it possible to stay somewhere within walking distance of the village so we can eat out at night?
Ideally, I would like somewhere with a pool.

Is it safe to walk back to lodgings at night in the dark?

Many, many thanks

I live in Deshaies, and it's pretty safe (crime wise), but the roads are quite poorly lit and windy, so wear bright colours/bring reflective armbands/torches. I don't know that much about accomodation, but it's quite a touristy place so I think there are lots of options. I didn't have a car for my first two weeks and I always walked to and from town (I live quite close to the botanical gardens, 2km away from the town).

Hope this helps a bit!

Thanks Jeanette,
is there an option to use taxi's? I was thinking that if we stayed somewhere near Grande Anse beach we could go there for eating options during the day and get a taxi to and from the village
at night?
Is it easy to call a taxi?
I was hoping to use the bus to get around for sightseeing.

Many thanks

Hi!

Taxis are quite rare and very expensive - they charge a 40% surcharge after dark and then another 40% on top of that if it's Sunday. I'm sure there are companies in the area though, I just don't know of them. But it might be alright if it's only that short journey. As for the buses - on Grande Terre they're fairly regular and they cover most of the area, but Basse-Terre's buses aren't as good. I also thought maybe I could just sightsee with the bus as well, but all of the ones which go through Deshaies just seem to go to Point-a-Pitre via St.Rose - there's only one that goes to Pointe Noire for example, and the tourist office wasn't very sure if there was even a bus back. Sorry I can't bring you better news, but you may well be able to track down some other buses that I haven't been told about.

Thanks Jeanette,
I will keep looking for accommodation that is within walking distance of the village!
For sightseeing, we can always get the bus to Point a Pitre and then another bus from there!
I really like the look of Basse Terre so i won't give up just yet!

Best wishes

I think that you have gotten enough information regarding the area which is quite safe. I live in southern basse terre too but more precisely in gourbeyre. I just wanted to ask if you have been able to find any accomodation. If not try homelidays.com & le bon coin guadeloupe, there are affordable places to stay and the assistance & help of its owners should make your stay a lot better i guess.

good luck