How did you prepare yourself to move overseas?

The whole purpose of this forum (as originally intended) is to help people prepare and transition into a new life in a new country.

I've done this in many countries, and have my own system of preparation...almost none.

I check out legalities for visas and things, make sure the contracts are solid...but about the culture, the food, the people, the customs, I arrive blissfully ignorant and then dig in and learn and learn and learn and learn.

I arrive with an open mind, the ability to think quickly and understand quickly.  I begin my learning process from the moment I get on the airplane and see people from the country I am headed to.

How did you get ready...or are you getting ready?

I focus on mental preparation I try to be positive and hope for the best...

Forget about the above if you're coming here though... I should have prepared mentally to be bored & miserable lol

Just kidding ;) ... or am I not?!

Forget about the above if you're coming here though... I should have prepared mentally to be bored & miserable lol

It's all in the mind. You have to make the best of the situation that you find yourself in. True it's not easy in Riyadh. Get involved with the activities advertised in this site.
You are on this planet for a limited time don't waste it. I love life. Enjoy.

How did I prepare myself?As soon I got to know about his job offer to Riyadh, I started crying and felt my life is going to be over. The notion of Abaya, No friends, No Beaches, No mama, losing my job. I hardly had any female friends in Pakistan and i always moved out with my male friends without any restrictions, so coming here was ...A big time nightmare....My family & friends thought i would either come back or leave my hubby instead of surviving in Riyadh. However my love for my hubby, the current situation in Pakistan and to prove my friends wrong I took the chance and came with positive mind.
The only key is "Positive mind” and life wont be too bad for u.All we need to understand the tempo of the city and we won't be complaining about anything here

The only key is "Positive mind”

Absolutely spot on.  You've got to have a positive attitude to survive and maybe even be happy ;)

You've also got to know yourself.  If you're the type who gets your shorts in a twist about everything you don't like or deem unfair, trust me, this is not the place for you (because your shorts will end up  so twisted in a short period of time that you will only see the bad and none of the good!).

If you're the type who thinks things should be like your home country, you won't do well here since this place is so totally unlike anybody's home country (I mean, it's not even typical of other Arab countries!).

If you're the kind of person who is dependent upon a lot external amusement or stimulation to be happy, you'll be unhappy in the Kingdom. You've got to be the type who finds joy in the small things in life (like mint tea lol).

Now, I worked through this list, and  after reading-reading-reading all I could and knowing what I'd have to face, I decided that I could indeed handle it.  But did I want to?  The worsening recession in the US and fear of losing my job there made the decision for me.

I've adjusted well here and just re-contracted for another year but I don't see myself going beyond that--but we'll see :)

This is how I prepared to move to Riyadh

My husband had been headhunted for positions in KSA for 5 years. We kept turning them down and taking easier options like Dubai. When the global recession hit in 2008, he lost his job there and remained unemployed for many months. When the next invite came for the KSA we decided to take it.
From that moment I started reading everything I could about KSA.
I read blogs
I joined expat sites
I asked questions
I started Arabic lessons
I walked around the Arabic suburbs in my home town, ate in their restaurants and bought an abaya.
I formed my own opinion and had a gut feeling it would be OK to move here

Prior to all this, when I realised we would be spending a large proportion of our life overseas, I took classes in cross cultural studies, anthropology and expanded my worldview.

Right now, we both work for a terrific company who are looking after us, we have made some friends and we are taking Riyadh one day at a time

There will be good days and bad days

loanna, you sure are a wonderful example for all those who wanna come and live/work here. I hopoe they will all read your post or maybe you could put it on the GUIDE section too.

I am keeping an open mind and trying to be positive yet weary as it really hits home when you hear some of the horror stories. Its good that this is shared though as the media are certainly not willing to get involved.

Wow, Loanna, you have put me to shame with all your preparation, so hats off to you! I intend to start learning arabic and have bought a disc to help me begin. Are there such classes for women to learn arabic in KSA?

We lived in Arabic suburb in our home town so the food and the culture wasn't so foreign.  Arabic food in KSA was a serious disappointment though :(

I think it's definitely worth learning some basic Arabic, it really helps to be able to read the street signs and be able to give simple directions to taxi drivers.

uglybetty wrote:

I am keeping an open mind and trying to be positive yet weary as it really hits home when you hear some of the horror stories.

There are horror stories for whichever country you are planning to go to, don't think it's only here.  I could tell you stories about Brasil that would curl your hair, the same for Thailand, Korea...and especially the USA.

It's the difference in the stories that are most important; how to stay safe, what to avoid, how to find help...

And Loanna...good on ya!  That's preparation!

I'm preparing for a move to Saudi Arabia. This isn't my first Muslim country (I lived in Qatar for 2 years a year ago) but as I delve more and more into my research I'm finding out the (somewhat vast) differences between Saudi and Qatar or any other GCC country, which is helping me prepare myself mentally!

So for the past few months I've also been reading and participating in forums (sorry for asking so many questions, guys), and have read blogs as well of people who are based there in Saudi. I even googlemapped (yes, new verb!) the area where we are going to be living in. In short, anything the internet will give me about Saudi, I'll take it! So the next hurdle is actually getting there.

Now though I have a child so my research has doubled - I now have to find a pediatrician, mommy/children playgroups, and am even trying to find out if they sell the same brand of milk I use for my daughter... lots of boring stuff!

But in all the countries I've lived in - France, Qatar and soon Saudi - my goals are : to keep an open mind, to learn how to amuse myself, and to meet the locals if possible.

Belisha,

We laugh at the google(satellite)maps of Jubail, they have to be at least five years old.

Tell me the milk, I'll look.

Pediatricians are not a problem, your embassy should provide a list a doctors who speak your language.  If not, there are lots of parents around to ask.

On a lighter note, I went to Toys R Us last week, while not as wonderful a selection as the US, there were lots and lots of toys.

There are also little "arcades" with games and rides in virtually every shopping mall so that the kids can be entertained while "dad" shops. 

See you soon...

@MisterStretch
How did you prepare yourself to move overseas?

"I knew i was going to Saudi Arabia, so i watched Tom Hank's Movie *Cast away* over and over again ;)

Best wishes !

When I first set out to take up a job with SAMBA (then Citibank) in Saudi in 1979 we had no access to Internet or Google to find out how the bread was buttered in the sands. Only pure general knowledge, common sense, titbits from those who had already visited the region on pilgrimage and employment, and an open and positive mind to face the music as it comes, helped. I believe we can survive anywhere on the planet as long as we make up our minds about it.