Survey: Do expat women get abused more than Indian girls in Bangalore?

Hi, I am a Frank, an instructor of Israeli Krav Maga Self Defense system in Bangalore and I am doing a survey of expat women or men living or working in Bangalore. Any info you will give me would be kept privately and solely used to design a special package of training material for expats.

I was a Creative Director in Delhi and also have worked and lived with expats working in a non-profit organisation (part-time) working against child labour in Delhi for over 6 years, and I know the problems and the mindset of Indian men my expats friends had to go through in Delhi. But I am new in Bangalore, so I want to understand their problems here better.

please email me these results at 'Frank Krav Maga Israeli Self Defense Instructor in Bangalore'

-----------
Women
-----------
1. Do women in general need self defense training?

2. Do women especially expats needs self defense training while in Bangalore?

3. Do Indian men approach you and expect you to be easy catch or they treat you nicely?

4. Are you troubled more in Indian clothes or western clothes?

5. Where you get treated the most nicely and where you get too much attention (bars, market place, workplace etc)?

6. Are you able to get friendship with Indian women and do they face the same problems as you?

7. How do you deal with the culture shock especially huge crowds especially when they stare are you or to to touch you or beg money from you?

8. Are you scared about the terrorist issues India is facing and how foreigners are getting targeted more?

9. Do women with darker skin tone (African or so) get treated with less respect than women with whiter skin (American, British etc)

10. If you have traveled in other places like Delhi, Mumbai etc, do you think Bangalore was worst or better than other cities or villages?

----------
Men
----------
1. Do Indian women treat you differently cause you not from here?

2. Do Indian men treat you differently cause you not from here?

3. Are you more prone to the bar-fight due to your skin color?

4. Do men with darker skin tone (African or so) get treated
with less respect than men with whiter skin (American, British etc)

5. Do you drive in India and how do you cope with road-rage especially in bad traffic in India.

6. Where you get treated the most nicely and where you get too much attention (bars, market place, workplace etc)?

7. How do you deal with the culture shock especially huge crowds especially when they stare are you or to to touch you or beg money from you?

8. Are you scared about the terrorist issues India is facing and how foreigners are getting targeted more?

9. Do you think you or your women-friend is safe in the city night life?

10. If you have traveled in other places like Delhi, Mumbai etc, do you think Bangalore was worst or better than other cities or villages?

Please feel free to write in any other issues you might want to share with me :)

Thanks for your time,

Frank
(url moderated)

I dont think. That depends upon person to person...i mean the expat. It can happen with anyone anywhere...

As a single lone expat female here in India, not Bangalore, yes you do get approached. And doesn't matter whether the men are married or not. I have never before been approached by so many men. Quite often its not a nice experience. Even though I want to continue living in India, I don't particularly like going anywhere on my own and that can be even to the local grocery store. Even though I don't undertand the language, you can understand what is happening, just by tone and body language.
I like the Incredible India government ads that are now on TV, hopefully this will highlight some issues and make some people realise their actions.
I still love this country

i am really sorry to hear that india is the land of god and if what u said happening with you then its just not right i felt so bad when i read your artical here i worke as sales manager with us company let me know if i could be any help to you in india i live in new delhi and my e mail is [email protected] be in touch

Hi no1browniegirl,
   I wouldn't be so much worried about being approached by people especially if it is not a metropolitan city as long as you are not being approached in a negative way. A very average middle class Indian still thinks that there is something about a foreigner coming to India. It may be that they still think that foreigners are rich or it may be due to our past, or it may be that they may be just curious about a foreigner. Whatever may be the reason, It would probably be comparable as a British town where there are very few foreigners or Indians (just a rough analogy). I however do understand your concern as a foreign woman being approached by men. As you said, hopefully the incredible India ads help create awareness among the people here. And since this topic was started by a coach in martial arts, I think a little martial arts would really help for self defence :)

no1browniegirl wrote:

As a single lone expat female here in India, not Bangalore, yes you do get approached. And doesn't matter whether the men are married or not. I have never before been approached by so many men. Quite often its not a nice experience. Even though I want to continue living in India, I don't particularly like going anywhere on my own and that can be even to the local grocery store. Even though I don't undertand the language, you can understand what is happening, just by tone and body language.
I like the Incredible India government ads that are now on TV, hopefully this will highlight some issues and make some people realise their actions.
I still love this country

right