English speaking people in Galicia, Spain

B and B  is not common in spain.  However, if you google ‘hostal'  in the area you should find a place to stay which is economically priced   

NB.  Do not confuse hostel with U.K. hostel
Take look here

http://www.hostal-madrid.info/en/blo-19 … or-a-hotel

Thanks John,

I don't think I fancy shared accommodation so I'd better look for an hotel I suppose.

pete

Que tal,

I as well am not Australian but English and currently live in Manchester with my Galician girlfriend. We would like to live in Galicia possibly A Coruna in the future. I am only at a beginner stage in Spanish and currently work in retail/security. I would like to know what forms of employment English speaking people do in Galicia who may not speak fluent Spanish

Hi Everyone ,
My name's Delia and my partner and
I are thinking of moving from Catalonia to Galicia,
probably the Ribera Sacra región..

Any information would be gratefully received.
We hear the weather isn't too cold or too hot, because
it's a wine growing área. We're not sure how true that is,
so, we thought we'd ask.. I take it that there aren't that
many English speaking people either…

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Hi Delia

The Ribeira Sacra is a beautiful area and property is good value. The climate is hot in summer and pretty cold in winter because it's at altitude (we're at 450m). However if you stay in the hillier bits you will have glorious sunshine on many winter days and see the most below you. In summer we get days of 30 to 39 degrees; in winter the coldest it gets is maybe a couple of degrees below zero at night and up to 12/15 during the day. Spring and autumn can be lovely but also wet. The weather is very like Madrid's weather actually. The cost of living is great here and eating out is good value and good quality. Good luck! PM me if you'd like to know more.

Hello Spangle,

Do you actually live in Chantada city..?

What's the weather like in Winter? Very cold or just wet?

Hope you're having a good day.
Delia

Hi there!

My wife and I have just moved to Ortigueira in Galicia and are looking for an English speaking gestor to help us obtain our empadronamiento. Neither of us speak Spanish and are very eager to learn, so if anyone knows of anyone who could help, it would be greatly appreciated!

Steve

Hi Pete

Did you move to Chantada after all? I'm looking around that area too

Chat soon
Chris and Tracey

hello there

Please send a mobil message if you are o,k

*** How long you being living in spain?

kind regards

Cantante Ingles

Moderated by Priscilla 4 years ago
Reason : do not post your personal contact details on the forum
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hey,

We moved here last year, we are about 40 mins from Santiago de Compostela.

The language is pretty hard to get to grips with, in the smaller towns like where we are it can be a mix of two languages sometimes, but people are really patient and seem to be happy if you're trying to learn the language.

I've found it's easier to learn online and get a bit this way as it can be daunting going out without someone who speaks Spanish or Gallego, people won't necessarily dumb it down I've found.  Youtube has a good channel for real basics called "Spanish With Paul" I went through the mini courses a couple of time & I actually got the paid course. I recommend it if you like the mini courses - but it depends how you best retain the rules and verbs.

Along side that I am using preply, I found a guy from Galicia who is around 15 EUR an hour and it helps to hear him speak as like in England and other places, accents are different. I am going from absolute 0 on this and ground up, so real basics as I want to understand him better. Although, he did say that it doesn't really matter how badly you say things, most people will get it but it's important you understand what is being said.  Poco a poco... :-)

We are fortunate we have family that speak both languages so we are getting help where we need it.

I hope things are working out for you and do give me a shout, I probably can't do too much that you can't already do but sometimes it's nice to have an ear to bend.

oso_rojo

Hello Oso Rojo.

my wife and I are thinking about moving to Galicia at the end of the year. My wife is Spanish but I am not and was just wondering how are you surviving. was it easy to find a job? did you have a job before you arrived? is it easy to meet people even with the language barrier ? I have been learning but I'm far from good.

As you can read I'm a little apprehensive but I am looking forward to the challenge.

just looking for a little help of where to start

many thanks.

Jobs are scarce - most places here are family ran and the ones that do hire are low paying. I am a remote worker and will be paying as an autonomo, although right now I can't complete registration and I am in limbo a bit.

Language is really hard for me, the only way I can face it is to just handle the blank stares as you get it wrong and try your best to convey yourself in other ways, most people I've had to deal with have been patient and pretty cool about it to now. It's also one thing being able to speak to people, understanding the response as they speak at normal tempo is pretty hard!

Drop me a private message if you want to chat more, I can try answer specific questions that way if that's easier.

Hi, there doesn't seem to have been any life on this thread for a while but we are looking at buying a property in Lugo. Would anyone be able to recommend a reliable, honest lawyer. Preferably one that speaks english as though my Castellano is reasonable I am lost with the local dialect.

Hi there, did you manage to find a good gestor?
If you did could you send me a message with the contact details please?

Hola everyone

My Partner and I live near to Ourense and I was wondering if there are any expats around that area?
we do not speak spanish yet! but are picking it up little by little and living in a town where english is not spoken it has been a interesting. Lol

I look forward to hearing from you.

Mel

I do not currently live in Spain but am currently working on making the move. I was wondering where you are from originally, and if you currently are employed and how you came about your employment in Spain. I am in the process of finding employment so I can make the move and would appreciate any insight, if you would be wiling to provide it.

Thank you.

If I come across anyone in your area, I will have them reach out.

Hi, I'm looking to meet some English speaking folks in coastal Galicia. :) Dog lovers in particular.

hope to hear from you

Laura

Hi, I'm looking to meet some English speakers in Galicia, dog lovers in particular. :) hope to connect.

Laura

@l.king09

Hello, your post was a long time ago, but I'm just reading it because I'm moving to Cee in a few months.  I'm on my own, american, and getting on in years.   I speak intermediate Spanish but would like to find some English speakers so my integration into Galacia life can be easier.  If you see this post I would be very happy to hear from you and learn the ropes.   Thanks!  Caitlin

Hello it's nice to meet you. Am from Ghana living in Spain Barcelona. I speak well english but not much more perfect in Spainish

@johnston211

hi i live in Ferrol, have done since 2017, i retired (early) september 2016. i visit cafes on a daily basis, the Galician i see written here looks more portuguese than spanish, the tv program "o tiempo", "the weather"....those X´s instead of J´s, but I don´t really struggle because i understand enough Spanish from the context. You donñt have to talk that much in supermarkets

Phil

Hello johnston211,

I hope you are doing well.  I am also an american expat living in the province of Ourense (close to Leiro) in the countryside.  I follow the self-sufficiency / permaculture style of living and enjoy living and working in midst of nature all the time.  It is a difficult lifestyle if lacking the necessary, ethics, morals, skills, and some resources.  It helps finding others with synergies in a mutually beneficial way in balance with nature's dictates (e.g., weather, soil conditions, flora and fauna, etc.).  I am looking to establish an exchange network of people helping each other and mother nature.  If you or anyone interested feel free to send me a private message.

Living on and off throughout the year near Padron. 20km from Santiago de Compostela on the N550 towards Pontevedra, wife is Spanish (gallega) and I'm an Irish/English mix. She's fluent in Spanish and Gallego - me not so much but I try hard!

If anyone wants a coffee and a chat feel free to DM and we'd be happy to arrange something.

@spangal

hi Spangal - are you still in Galicia? appreciate thos post is a few years old now.

Hi. are there any native english speakers in the Santiago/ Arzua area? i have been here for 7 years and my language is still not fluent and i would love some english speaking contacts. thanks

Hi. are there any native english speakers in santiago/arzua area? i have been here for 7 years and my spanish is only mediocre and i would love some english contacts. thanks.