Driving thru Saudi

Expats!

I am faced with a conundrum; I am currently contemplating going on an epic roadtrip for the long weekend to Qatar from Kuwait. To do so I would have to drive thru saudi.

I already checked with the Qatar embassy and ensured that my "work permit" designation allows me visa on arrival, my main query now however is Saudi. See the road is long and relatively treacherous, I would love to have company with me in the car, be it someone to keep you awake or drive in your place.

Some of the people that expressed interest were women, now what is the legality of driving through Saudi with a non-related woman in your vehicle if you are only transiting thru, as in not staying. I believe the visa to pass thru saudi is for 72 hours or so.

any thoughts? anyone tried this before?

The flight is only 85KD but still, I would love to do an actual cross country roadtrip.

I really would love to see how this turns out. If you'll be able to pull this one off, my hat will always be off for you.

I have a friend who went to Saudi by car to visit friends and on the way back his visa expired while still on the way (he violated by only 2 days). They put on his passport the stamp of no return (scanned his retina and told him he was no longer allowed into KSA).

One tip: Probably going as a group of max. 4 is better than two. Best of luck :)

For a moment I thought I was reading my own post from couple of months ago. :)

I am still planning to do it, I would even offer my company but I still haven't heard back from my friend who I am planning to visit over there. You were planning to go this weekend? Do you think it is possible to get a saudi transit visa on such a short notice?

yes mon ami, the saudi transit visa is a short affair. however, the problem lies with Qatar - as certain work permit designations are offered visa on arrival in Qatar (heres the full list), they do not stamp your passport except at the border - so the saudi people only let u in if ur travelling to your country (for us with routes to our countries thru saudi)

bottom line is it is POSSIBLE but it requires a bit more planning, the people at the qatar embassy are quite lazy over the phone, so u would have to visit them personally. but if u have a stamp from the country you are driving to on your passport, saudi cant stop u.