Moving to malta from south african with S A passport

Hi everyone
Your  advice please regarding immigrating to malta from south africa we have read about the resident permit /self employement option we are wanting to fly over in February to check out areas to rent or buy

thanking you

Hilton and Michelle Kendall

Hi Hilton and MIchelle,

welcome to the forum.

To be able to give advice you have not given much information about your situation.

There is no self-employment option for TCN's !

Buying or renting  property does not entitle you to residency .

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky
thank you for your reply please can you clarify what you mean by no self employment option for TCN (not sure what that stands for)

We as South African passport holders would like to move to Malta as we have a son in the Uk and are looking at options as to where we can become permanent residents close to the UK

On the Malta government website it has options for non  EU citzens to become residents by buying or renting property

Thank you
Michelle

Hi Michelle,

the current possible option of buying Maltese citizenship for aprox. 1,2 Mill. € is under severe criticism from the Maltese side and also from the European Union and the final word has not been spoken.

The other option is  using the HNWI programm that allows you to buy  or rent property for certain amounts and to pay taxes ( quite a high minimum amount) to gain residency for one year at a time.

Permanent residency is Malta can be applied for after 5 years of residency in Malta..

All other laws regarding income and working in Malta apply so you will have to do your homework !

Cheers
Ricky

TCN = Third Country Nationals i.e not Malta or EU.

Hello Kendalls, fellow Afrikaner here. We will be watching your case with interest, please keep us posted on your findings.

About us, I carry British passport from naturalisation so Ibelieve for me to live and work in Malta is relatively easy but I am sikkeling with how to get my wife and son in. It would appear that the normal Schengen visa will get them there, but how to get my wife in so she can work as well, beats me. Please let us know if you find anything? Cheers, Neil Smuts

hi Neil

thanks for the message yes been searching the web forever trying to find information relating to residency there are so many different opinions though its hard to find the correct information,  But hopefully the Expat.com  will be able to advise us,

Have a look at the "Global Residence Program".
It replaced the HNWI program for TCN.
That will be your best bet, I think.

Thank you will do  :)

Hiya Smuttyman,

As a fellow SA with SA passport, I am well aware of the hassles of travelling around the world! Luckily my husband is an EU passport holder, so no probs.  As you have a British, thereby EU passport, your family are allowed to reside and work in any EU country were you live. I tried putting a link to the relevant EU page, but it would not let me...but search for EU member family rights.
Let me know if it helps. Weare currently in Switzerland, but relocating to Malta soon for work.
Good luck

Hello all, firstly Kendalls, sorry for bombing your post!

Macstaffiebabe, I understood the case was they could come with and reside but not work unless accepted in their own capacity. Is this wrong?

Any EU citizen has the right to live and work anywhere within the EU.

Yes granted, but my wife is South African and does not have claim to anything EU except through me.

Hi again,

Firstly to the Kendalls, yes this is not really helping your case - unless you also have immediate EU member family?

And Smuttyman - your statement is exactly the point.
Look at the European Commission website below
http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=463&langId=en

I have lived and worked very successfully in a few EU countries with no probs because my hubby is the EU passport holder :top:
Does this help?

macstaffie

Wow thanks!