Live in Ecuador 6mos/25yr AA member/ place to live??

Hello,
I plan to live abroad for about 6mos starting in the fall of 2014 & looking to develop my plan. I am leaning in the direction of Ecuador because of neutral Spanish, use of US currency and it sounds like a good choice.
FYI  :cheers:
* single, healthy 47yo man(divorced for 10 yrs.)
*active hiker and outdoors enthusiast
*sober member of AA for 25 yrs.
*studying Spanish with Rosetta Stone (Latin America) as hobby for 2 years.
*AS, BA, and MA degrees (business and management communication)
*currently working in insurance industry and will make career change after living abroad.
*very outgoing, friendly and helpful person
*I am a white collar professional, however, I have over 25 years experience working in construction industry as a manager and or trades person ( I am very handy)

My goal is to get a place to live, have some established contacts to hike with, line up  tutor or some people to fully emerge in Spanish use with and to find AA meetings I can regularly attend. HELP!!
--Leo

There plenty of friends of Bill W available, and of course you will be renting on your exploratory adventure.  If you want to get a visa to stay you will need to invest $25,000 in Ecuador to get an investor's visa, or if you can prove more than $900/month in retirement income, not likely even if you sold yourself some annuities.  Sounds like you are open minded enough to give it a shot, realizing it is a new culture, not the USA in Spanish.  Good Luck!!