Safe area in Costambar?

My husband and I are spending a week at an all inclusive in the Dominican this July, Punta Cana to be exact.   We've heard wonderful things about the Dominican, how wonderful and friendly the people are, etc.

We are thinking that if we enjoy it, (after a lot of research) we might like to buy a small condo or apt. in a small coastal town, for quiet vacations and eventually for retirement.

I've been surfing the net, and came across some real estate listings for Costambar, which said that it is a laid back place, unlike many of the tourist locations.
Can anyone tell me what it's like there?  Some of the listings had pictures where the entire home, including the verandah, was totally encased in security bars! 
We're looking for a safe area in a quiet coastal town... Does such a thing exist?  Any help would be appreciated! :)

glenda

Wow, thank you, Dominican10!  That was a lot of info, and those are things that you just wouldn't learn unless you talked to a 'local' like yourself. :O)
Of course you're right, it's all about the weather. I can't wait to get there and indulge in it!  Right now it's raining and 13C here on Canada's south west coast... sigh...
Sorry to pick your brain, but, can you tell me, ( if and whenever you get time) are there both houses and condos/apts. available there, and would you happen to know if anything could be bought for around 60,000 ??? 
Your offer to show us around is amazing, thank you so much! If we can manage to get up to that area when we are in Punta Cana, we just may take you up on it.  Again, you are so very kind to offer.
All the best, to you and yours,
glenda

I now understand why Jack was pushing Costambar so hard.  He has a vested interest in the area.  It is an area the we are not particularly fond of and in fact try to steer our clients from the area (yes we sell real estate) I feel there are far better and secure areas then here.
Just my opinion

Bob K

I thank you both for your kind replies, and I appreciate all the information you have offered.  It was not my intent to upset anyone, you have both gone out of your way to help, and that is just wonderful.
Your insider information is invaluable to a newbie like myself looking to find a place, not only to visit, but to eventually re-locate to.
Safety is important to us, (at least to the extent it can be found, of course!) so that we can relax and enjoy our time in the DR. 
It would be wonderful to be in a small coastal town that is away from the hustle and bustle of the tourist trade. 
Having said that, is is unreasonable to expect that? Are there any towns like that?
Is it necessary to situate in the newer resort areas that have 24/7 security in order to feel safe? 
If so, then I suppose we should concentrate on those areas...

I appreciate all your help, please don't be upset with one another.
Any other tips and/or info that might occur to anyone, I will receive gratefully!

Enjoy your undoubtedly beautiful day! :cool:
glenda

I don't think either of us were or are upset. At least I am not. It was just two different opinions.  I would worry if every one agreed with each other and there was never a differing opinion.  Sort of what things may be like here for the next few years with the recent elections and the ruling party winning all but one elections in the country.

Bob K

Hi Bob, I'm glad that you're not upset, and I agree, total agreement would make a pretty dull world!.

Just out of curiosity, why do you think the elections were such an overwhelming sweep? I'm no political authority, but that sounds scary to me. Is this a regular occurance? What do you think will be the end effect on the country?

I hope you don't mind my picking your brain, and of course you don't have to take the time to answer, but I would be very interested to know your opinion.

Regards,
glenda

Hi Dom, that's great, I'm happy to hear there is no animosity.

Your info about the president is very interesting.  I had no idea, for example, that he had spent a portion of his life in the US, working as a lawyer.  The religious angle is not a surprise, and in that way it is easy to understand how the status quo can easily be maintained...
Thank you for your input, it's very helpful.  So far nothing I've heard has deterred my interest, so I'm feeling pretty positive about purchasing in the DR.  :O)

Again, any other info you might think might be useful to know about the country,no matter how trivial, I will be very grateful to hear it.  Thank you!

Sincerely,
glenda

Thanks so much, I will!
Yes, the internet is really an amazing tool.  I feel so lucky to have access to basically, the entire world. (And to all the people such as yourself, willing to share your knowledge with me).
Will be in touch with some ??s soon!
Thank you again!
glenda

As Jack said there are lots of negatives if you want to call them that.  To me it is just some inconviences but the good far outweighs them.  We are here for 4 years now and have never looked back. Llike many expats here we are trying to give back to the community to improve some basic things like education, medical care and such.
The elections just gives the ruling party even more power and I think corruption will increase in the next few years and I would not be suprised at all if the current president does not change the current constitution one more time (he did it last year) to allow him to run for president again. He has now been president for 12 of the last 16 years and he is looking to make it a longer stretch.
Yes he was educated in New York and got is degrees there as well as worked there before coming back here.  Some times i think he want so badly to drag this country into the first world (make it like the US) that he looses site of the basic things that are important (health, education, food, electricity, roads etc).   So we now have a new subway in the capitol and it is being expanded.  Unfortunatly more money was spent on this then education, health, welfare together. Also the system can be used by 1-2% of he population and less then half of them can afford to ride it.

Bob K

Wow!  Thank you both!  I agree totally.  Basic needs must be met before installing services that cost millions and serve few.  That, however, is the same in some form or another, all over the world...  My mother used to say, "The rich get richer, and the poor get babies."  Truer words were never spoken.  It's difficult to make change, as well, when the rules keep changing...

I look forward to being able to help in whatever way I can, as well.  I would love to work with the children, teaching English, and/or whatever else I can.   By the time we actually re-locate, I will be able to work as a speech and language therapist as well, but that would probably be of more use  to expats and their children. It might provide somewhat of a source of income, tho.

I also look forward to the simpler, slower paced lifestyle, tho it may take time to get used to, lol.  We are so trained to live live in the fast lane, and to feel guilty when not using every moment to accomplish something.  I will be happy to give it a try, tho!
It will be some time (years) before we will be able to totally re-locate, but purchasing in the near future will give us a wonderful place to vacation in the meantime, as well as to learn the 'island ways'.

I have installed several applications on my ipod, in hopes of learning at least a few simple sentences in Spanish for our trip in July, but so far, I'm afraid it's been a bit like trying to catch water in cheesecloth. I have absolutely no memory, apparently, lol, but I'll keep at it and hope for the best.

As always, thank you both for sharing. :D

glenda

Hi again...  I've just ordered an audio course course that comes highly recommended, and a couple of books, including one that has 770 phrases in Spanish. :) Hopefully that will be sufficient to at least get me through our first visit. Can't wait to get started!

glenda

Lol, well, fortunately(unfortunately?) we don't actually know anyone there, so no one I know will witness my pathetic attempts.  I fully intend to give it my best shot, no matter what!  You can't be afraid to look foolish,  I prefer to look at it as trying to better myself... I'm not sure if my husband is going to attempt to learn any, Spanish, but I'm hoping...

I just asked him again, and he said maybe... Then he said he should learn to yell "fore!" for when he goes golfing, and "bring me another"..... 
Sigh...:/
We decided that "fore!" must be universal... yes/no?
Any special things I should be able to say/ask, that you would recommend?  Good point, being able to order food.  Are there any types of food or? that novice gringos such as us should avoid?

glenda

Hi Jack.
Have emailed you at aol.  My email addy is [email protected], just so you can recognize it.

glenda :cool:

I believe that prevention is the most prevelant method to discourage petty theft in most of the Caribbean nations that I have lived in.

I now live in a quite coastal village not 30 minutes from Costumbar. After almost five years of permanent living in this country, I've come to grips with so many things but have decided that the single most annoying result of abstract poverty is the petty theft. If you make it available it will disappear. Even a police report brings an almost negligible response here.

In the eyes of most average expatriates is the wonders of this country. The weather and its natural beauty that keep us here.

I have looked into Costumbar and found that most of it does not reach the level of tranquility that I sought. Yes, the prices are usually reasonable but resales have been taking a beating lately.

I suggest that you follow your stated plan. Visit for extended vacations for a while, learn some of the language, the customs and the more intriguing "passion" the locals display. Once you have invested in this for a few seasons, I suspect you will find what is your comfort zone.

Thank you for your reply.  We are back from our first visit, and I agree, I think it's best to just come back and visit a few times.  There is no way to make a decision quickly.  We visited a few condos in a few places in Punta Cana, which were very nice, but really want to visit other coastal towns before commiting to anything.
Thanks again for your input, it is much appreciated!
Regards,
glenda

About 3 or 4 yrs ago I lived in Costambar for about a year. The answer to your question is yes & no. There is only one entrance & exit to Costambar & it is covered by armed guards who check the traffic coming in & out. However, the checks are quite cursory & most anything could get through & has including robbers,etc. I've never seen anyone turned away & not able to enter. Most of the much poorer population from Puerta Plata uses the beaches there so on the weekend there are lots of people & children from the city.The road leading into Costambar was filled with huge holes which until recently I understand had to be carefully navigated. Within Costambar there is also something akin to public housing where poor people live in many generic basic apartments. Around the beach there is a greater mixture of very poor to more well to do. There is allot of stealing & robbery but not many crimes other than that. That's why most of the homes which aren't lived in 24/7 have burglar bars, steel fences & gates & protective dogs. Costambar had 1 grocery store which was more expensive than the supermarket in town but had a good variety of basic items.I ran for miles in Costambar & was never bothered either in the AM or in the early evening.Traffic is fast & you need to watch. There was also a gym in the community as well as yoga. I hope this is helpful... Ron

Thank you for the very thorough and descriptive answer, Ron.  It sounds like not really the kind of area at least at this point in time, that I would invest or retire in.  Needing guards at the entrance of town sounds just a little over the top!
Thanks again for the very "insider" view of things!
glenda

I am going to offer my  2 RD worth. I do not and have not lived in Costambar. I  don't sell real estate either...  But I have  over 7 years living on the north coast.

It is so very very different from Punta Cana, you really need to come visit us here.  While we have the tourist areas,  hotels and services there also  exists  real  Dominican  towns  close by.  So you can  be close to the services when wanted yet still live a more local  experience.

On the north coast are many  small  coastal towns and one larger town, Puerto Plata.   Bars on windows and doors is normal  in this country,  taking  extra precautions is also  normal here.   I've lived here this long and not felt unsafe!  You learn to be careful.

Making a decision of where to live is so individual that you need to come down and experience for months before  deciding where to buy.  Once  you buy you might be stuck with it for  years as the turnover is quite low.  So, come down and rent first.  Then  take a good long look  at the entire area before making your decision.

hello ayngelwing:

I have just come back from a 2nd visit to costambar beach last week and altogether have spend a total of 3 weeks cumulative time there with both visits ( 1st was in 2009 ).  I can tell you that I don't think the guards in front are necessary but their mere presence there does help disuade or deter the " riff raff "
from the area.  Anyway, I always felt very safe there in both the a.m., early evening and nights.....no problem

The area is very quiet during the week. Only the beach is busy on weekends when the locals flock to it.  The area is very close to puerto plata and costambar has many english speaking residents (both US & Canadian) as well as some Germans.  Easy to make friends with the english speaking locals as they are very helpful and nice. A couple of local stores ( Yenny's is well known and provides currency exchange ), few bars & grills. safety, proximity to Puerto Plata, resistance from hurricanes unlike the south or east coast.....what more do you need?   

I highly recommend you try it and decide for yourself.  I think you will be pleasantly pleased

Thank you for your input.  Now I really think that we will have to check the area out next time... I find the south very nice, but much too crowded.  I appreciate all the points of view that I've received on this site.
Thanks so much!
glenda :D