Safety in Dominican Republic

Hi all,

I'm from Britain and currently live in Scotland. I am very close to moving to the Dominican Republic to stay with my Dominican family in Puerto Plata. At the moment, I am in talks with a big company over there about a job so fingers crossed.

I am looking for honest answers. I am a young, 20s, white female and I would love someone to reassure me here. I've heard of so many crimes over there, particularly to young, foreign females and just wanted to ask, Is it a safe country for us foreign women? I have visited many times and I do feel safe there, but I've never walked on my own.

I would appreciate any advice or tips anyone has.

Thanks!

Abbie

First of all...Welcome to the forum.  You will finds lots of folks here with good information for you.  Some of us have been living here for years.  Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

As long as you are aware of the sankies who will be at your feet all the  time till they word gets out that your are off limits you will be fine.

Use the same precautions you would anywhere in the  world.  Don't flash money or Jewels, stay out of dark alleys, don't get involved in drugs or drunken behavior and you will do fine.  You will enjoy the night life, beaches, people, weather and the list goes on.

We have been living here full time for 7.5 years and never have felt threatened. Enjoy your adventure!

Bob K

Brilliant, thanks very much! I certainly felt fine the times I've been out there. You just hear stories and immediately fret.

This is maybe more a question for the ladies. Are there beauty salons over there for hair, brows etc. I am blonde at the moment, which is hard to maintain so I am considering a change if I can't get a good hairdresser out there. A lot to organise haha!!

Welcome to the forum.   I would be one of those ladies. I have lived here 10 years without issue. YOu need to stay away from sankies, stay away from Tigres and do not flaunt. Be careful who you let in your house or apt,  do not let anyone in you do not know very well. And even if you know them, don't allow them to bring their significant other in if you don't also know them!  Word gets out and before you know it you are a victim.

Be smart,  act smart, be aware of where you are at all times. DO NOT trust automatically,  trust is earned here!  Feel free to ask us anything you need to!

Not a woman but am married to one and there are salons all over.  She is currently blonde as well.

Bob K

Great advice, thanks so much!

You are welcome and good luck in your adventure.

Bob K

Hello planner, I would like to ask you a question, for Sankeis I have heard, but what means Tigres? thank you

Tigres are scam artists, thieves, some one who will take advantage of you. Basically non violent (for the most part) crooks.

Bob K

Thanks Bob, I was in november alone in DR but I did not have any experience with that kind of guys.

Great description Bob.  I add that they are amazingly street smart and their mission is to part you from your money!  They will say, I know where the best deal is on for example a stove.  Not knowing you go with them,  the price is 20,000 RD and you go, ok.  Then it turns out you can get the same damn stove for 16,000 and 4,000 went to the tigre!!!!

They can be quite charming when it suits their purpose.  Not trustworthy!

hola como estas tienes buzon  que no entra mensajes

Hi, I just move here 3 months ago, I'm living in Naco. Don't have much of experience yet but  a little issue is I never walk on the street after 6pm, only daytime (5mins walking to go to the gym) but whenever I walk I have Mace (the spicy spray) in my hand :) So if you feel comfortable to use same try to buy it before you move here (I'm running out of It and dunno where to buy)
Hope you will enjoy living here (like me now :) )

Adel - this forum is in English,  and just making sure you want to post in Dominican Republic forums?

Planner, I saw you in Internations group. Me and my bf wanted to go to the event yesterday but then we just back from Costa Rica today. How was that?
Sorry maybe not in this topic

Hola Adel como esta

The following is a excerpt from my posting "A Gringo's Survival Guide to Brazil" on the Brazil Forum.

It contains a list of safety tips that are useful anywhere in the world and should help you greatly in reducing your chances of becoming a victim of crime, which are usually crimes of opportunity. Don't create the opportunity and safe to say the crime may not even occur.

Note: Replace the words "Portuguese"  and "Brazil" with "Spanish" and "Dominican Republic" as needed.

SAFETY TIPS

Learn and use only the Portuguese language in public... you will not stand out that way. Some people see foreigners either as hated invaders while others see them as easy marks. In most places if you speak Portuguese you will generally not get quoted the higher (exploitative) prices everyone here has for foreign tourists,

Dress down / Dress Brazilian - shorts (baggies), sandals or flip-flops, T-shirts, tank tops, etc. are the ORDER OF THE DAY here. Do not wear expensive watches or other jewelry; don't carry expensive cameras out in the open.

Get to know the city you will be living in, find out what areas you can frequent in safety any time day or night (these still exist) and which areas to avoid at night unless you are part of a group. Favelas, generally speaking gringos are not too welcome in nor would they venture into favelas unless they are accompanied by a Brazilian who either resides in, or has family in, the favela. If you do go into a favela NEVER TAKE A PHOTOGRAPH IN PUBLIC, this could be extremely dangerous.

Avoid walking alone. Be it day or night you are always much safer if you are accompanied by others. You should avoid going out alone at night at all costs.

Try always to walk on the left side of the street.  Walk on the side of the street closest to oncoming traffic, not with your back to it. This affords you clear vision traffic movement and anything that might be suspicious. Remember that the vast majority of crimes are committed by those on motorcycles, so steer clear of motorcycles as much as possible. If one stops or slows down near you move quickly to a place of safety. It may be that a person is just looking for directions but you cannot afford to take that chance.

Backpacks/Wallets - When in public crowded areas especially, turn your backpack around so that it is on your chest. Street thieves can open your backpack and remove its contents without you ever knowing it if you keep it on your back. Wallets should not be carried in the hip pocket of your pants for the same reason, if at all possible carry it in the front pocket or use a moneybelt. I have seen some interesting money pouches that look like a shoulder holster and are made to be worn under your shirt. If you  have no other option than to carry your wallet in your hip pocket tightly wrap several large elastic bands around it, this will make it almost impossible for a pickpocket to remove it. You also may want to carry a "dummy wallet", one that contains copies of documents and a very small amount of cash, if someone wants to try and rob you turn over the "dummy" immediately and never resist. (Please try not to laugh too hard as the thief runs off with a couple of Brazilan Reais and a bunch of photocopies).

Money - carry only as much money with you as you will need for what you plan doing, never carry large amounts of cash. Never take your wallet out and count your money in public, which is inviting trouble. If you are making a purchase have a bit more that you anticipate the price in your pocket, use that to pay for the purchase. Separate the cash you do carry, some in your wallet, some in your pocket, some inside your sock, etc. For large transactions/purchases use cash transfers, ATM or online deposits to the individual's account or banker'a checks (cheque administrativo). NEVER CARRY LARGE SUMS OF CASH IN PUBLIC. If you need to make large cash withdrawls at a bank do not use the ATM, go to the manager, explain the situation and arrange to have the money counted out and turned over to you either in a private area or at the very least in a plain envelope so not to attract attention.

ATM transactions and credit/debit card transactions - NEVER use an ATM in an isolated area at night, if you need to make an ATM withdrawal at night look for a machine in a busy location such as a major gas station/convenience store. Avoid using ATMs in bank branches after normal banking hours and on weekends when organized groups of criminals tend to practice their frauds. During banking hours on weekdays most ATM transactions are safe, but you must take certain precautions. When you are keying in your PIN code ALWAYS hide the numbers you are entering (using your other hand), many machines have fake fronts installed that skim the magnetic info on your card when you put it in the card slot and a micro-camera positioned to see the keys you press when entering your PIN. If the ATM looks at all unusual or has anything you don't like the look of DON'T USE IT. Make sure there is nobody hanging around either outside or inside the bank watching those making transactions. When paying for anything by credit card, never let the card out of your sight. If a waiter or service station attendant has to swipe your card for the transaction and doesn't have a portable/wireless terminal then go with him or her to process the transaction. There are card readers that record your information and your card gets cloned. If the transaction is on the old paper forms, make sure to ask for the carbon paper and not leave it behind for somebody to read. If you are using an ATM at a bank branch and have the time it is always best to observe for a while first. Make sure there is nobody hanging around outside the bank or in the area around the ATMs. If there is somebody just hanging around in the lobby area and not actually waiting to use one of the machines he/she could be a spotter for somebody on the outside waiting to rob someone who withdraws a large amount of cash. Don't take any chances, in this case I would recommend finding an ATM in some other location. If someone seems really suspicious don't be afraid to call the police in order to have the individual checked out.

Documents - make certified copies (at any Cartório) of all your important documents, passport, visa, birth certificate, etc. and carry only the certified copies around with you... your CPF or RNE and if you drive here in Brazil your license are about the only original documents you will need to carry with you. I have lived here for ten years now and never had any problems relating to using copies of documents. Remember that a lost or stolen passport can be a real big problem so leave it in a safe place. You may get hassled by an airline using a certified copy of your passport for national flights, like I was once, but you are only required to produce the original if you are flying internationally. Don't let them b___ s_____ you into thinking otherwise. Any form of inter-city or interstate transportation requires that you produce ID, the law does not specify that it must be original, therefore a certified copy is acceptable. When I threatened to call the police in order to register a complaint which I would follow up with a claim against the airline for damages if I missed my plane, the certified copy of my passport suddenly became worth its weight in gold and I was allowed to board my flight without any further hassles.

REMEMBER ONE CARDINAL RULE - NOTHING THAT YOU OWN IS MORE VALUABLE THAN YOUR LIFE AND HEALTH. If you find yourself in the unfortunate situation of being face-to-face with someone intent on robbing you do not react in any way. Comply immediately with whatever demand is made without any resistance or delay. Remain calm, talk in a calm manner and do not make any quick moves. Obviously this supposes you speak at least some Portuguese, but keep your hands in plain view and explain to the robber exactly what you are going to do before you do it... example: Ok, I'm going to reach into my back pocket and slowly take out my wallet. Remember that the robber will probably be even more nerveous than you are, you have to take control of the situation as best you can by remaining calm and making absolutely no noise or acting in any way that will startle or anger the robber. Lots of people are injured or killed because they delayed in doing what a thief wanted or because the made some sudden move which frightened or startled the robber. Don't make that mistake yourself.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team

wjwoodward some good points but wow I would not want to visit Brazil, it sound way too dangerous.  After reading your post I feel much safer living here in the DR.

Bob K

I have been to Brazil Bob, it is no more dangerous or safer than D.R. Not to mention that economically Brazil is much better off than D.R.  The problem areas in Brazil are the Favelas or slums.  If you stay away from them, you will be fine.  The have guided tours of the Favelas and the residents have the best views of the city of Rio.  Was on CopaCabana Beach and Ipanema till the wee hours of the morning, and never felt unsafe. Plenty of lighting and police presence.  Brazil takes tourist crimes very seriously, so you are probably much safer than it's own residents.  Sao Paulo is a different story, but even in that city's case it is more about kidnapping wealthy business owners for ransome.  Caracas Venezuela on the other hand is one place you will have to be very alert! Brazil is cool, plenty of expats there as well :-)

Thanks, that sounds better.

Bob K

With  permission, I will copy this post and correct a few things for the Dominican Republic!!! A few things are not going to work here.

UPDATED FOR DR.

The following is a excerpt from my posting "A Gringo's Survival Guide to Brazil" on the Brazil Forum.
** Corrected for DR by Planner**
It contains a list of safety tips that are useful anywhere in the world and should help you greatly in reducing your chances of becoming a victim of crime, which are usually crimes of opportunity. Don't create the opportunity and safe to say the crime may not even occur.Note:

Replace the words "Portuguese"  and "Brazil" with "Spanish" and "Dominican Republic" as needed.

SAFETY TIPS

Learn and use only the Spanishlanguage in public... you will not stand out that way. Some people see foreigners either as hated invaders while others see them as easy marks. In most places if you speak Spanish you will generally not get quoted the higher (exploitative) prices everyone here has for foreign tourists, HERE IN THE DR IT IS A BIT LESS INTENSE. WE ARE NOT THOUGHT OF HATED INVADERS UNLESS WE ACT LIKE ARROGANT KNOWITALLS.  SPEAKING SPANISH WILL NOT CHANGE THE EXPLOITATIVE PRICING IN ANY TOURISM AREA

Dress down / Dress Brazilian - shorts (baggies), sandals or flip-flops, T-shirts, tank tops, etc. are the ORDER OF THE DAY here. Do not wear expensive watches or other jewelry; don't carry expensive cameras out in the open. NOT FOR THE DR.  SANDALS, FLIPFLOPS ETC ARE ONLY FOR THE BEACH.  WE WEAR LONG PANTS, SKIRTS AND DRESSES.  SHORT SHORTS ARE OK FOR WOMEN AS THEY ARE THE "STYLE"  ON THE JEWELRY - EXACTLY CORRECT - LEAVE THE GOOD STUFF AT HOME.

Get to know the city you will be living in, find out what areas you can frequent in safety any time day or night (these still exist) and which areas to avoid at night unless you are part of a group. STAY OUT OF THE WORST OF THE BARRIOS.   IT JUST ISN'T SAFE.  DO TAKE PICTURES BUT ASK PERMISSION. DOMINICANS LOVE TO HAVE THEIR PHOTOS TAKEN..

Avoid walking alone. Be it day or night you are always much safer if you are accompanied by others. You should avoid going out alone at night at all costs. THIS IS A GOOD TIP ANYWHERE.  FOR WOMEN - NEVER GO OUT ALONE AT NIGHT!

Try always to walk on the left side of the street.  Walk on the side of the street closest to oncoming traffic, not with your back to it. This affords you clear vision traffic movement and anything that might be suspicious. Remember that the vast majority of crimes are committed by those on motorcycles, so steer clear of motorcycles as much as possible. If one stops or slows down near you move quickly to a place of safety. It may be that a person is just looking for directions but you cannot afford to take that chance. THIS MAY BE THE CASE IN SOME AREAS.  STREET CRIME CAN BE AN ISSUE,  BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS, UNDERSTAND THAT TRAFFIC RULES HERE ARE NOT  ALWAYS FOLLOWED, BE VERY CAREFUL IN THE STREETS. WOMEN HOLD YOUR PURSE CLOSE TO YOUR BODY ON THE SHOULDER AWAY FROM TRAFFIC.

Backpacks/Wallets - When in public crowded areas especially, turn your backpack around so that it is on your chest. Street thieves can open your backpack and remove its contents without you ever knowing it if you keep it on your back. Wallets should not be carried in the hip pocket of your pants for the same reason, if at all possible carry it in the front pocket or use a moneybelt. I have seen some interesting money pouches that look like a shoulder holster and are made to be worn under your shirt. If you  have no other option than to carry your wallet in your hip pocket tightly wrap several large elastic bands around it, this will make it almost impossible for a pickpocket to remove it. You also may want to carry a "dummy wallet", one that contains copies of documents and a very small amount of cash, if someone wants to try and rob you turn over the "dummy" immediately and never resist. (Please try not to laugh too hard as the thief runs off with a couple of Brazilan Reais and a bunch of photocopies). GOOD ADVICE. I ALSO ADD,  KEEP YOUR MONEY IN MORE THEN ONE PLACE. DO NOT CARRY YOUR PASSPORT BUT A COPY OF YOUR PASSPORT.  NEVER EVER FLASH A LOT OF MONEY IN PUBLIC. SOME MALE VISITORS LOVE TO DO THIS. YOU ARE SETTING YOURSELVES UP. SEE BELOW FOR MORE.....

Money - carry only as much money with you as you will need for what you plan doing, never carry large amounts of cash. Never take your wallet out and count your money in public, which is inviting trouble. If you are making a purchase have a bit more that you anticipate the price in your pocket, use that to pay for the purchase. Separate the cash you do carry, some in your wallet, some in your pocket, some inside your sock, etc. For large transactions/purchases use cash transfers, ATM or online deposits to the individual's account or banker'a checks (cheque administrativo). NEVER CARRY LARGE SUMS OF CASH IN PUBLIC. If you need to make large cash withdrawls at a bank do not use the ATM, go to the manager, explain the situation and arrange to have the money counted out and turned over to you either in a private area or at the very least in a plain envelope so not to attract attention. THIS IS IMPORTANT AS WELL,  I'VE HAD TO WITHDRAW HUGE SUMS OF MONEY AT A BANK AND HAD THE MORONIC TELLER COUNT IT OUT IN FRONT OF EVERYONE. I WENT TO THE MANAGER IMMEDIATELY AND THEY SENT ME TO MY NEXT DESTINATION WITH AN ARMED GUARD. 

ATM transactions and credit/debit card transactions - NEVER use an ATM in an isolated area at night, if you need to make an ATM withdrawal at night look for a machine in a busy location such as a major gas station/convenience store. Avoid using ATMs in bank branches after normal banking hours and on weekends when organized groups of criminals tend to practice their frauds. During banking hours on weekdays most ATM transactions are safe, but you must take certain precautions. When you are keying in your PIN code ALWAYS hide the numbers you are entering (using your other hand), many machines have fake fronts installed that skim the magnetic info on your card when you put it in the card slot and a micro-camera positioned to see the keys you press when entering your PIN. If the ATM looks at all unusual or has anything you don't like the look of DON'T USE IT. Make sure there is nobody hanging around either outside or inside the bank watching those making transactions. When paying for anything by credit card, never let the card out of your sight. If a waiter or service station attendant has to swipe your card for the transaction and doesn't have a portable/wireless terminal then go with him or her to process the transaction. There are card readers that record your information and your card gets cloned. If the transaction is on the old paper forms, make sure to ask for the carbon paper and not leave it behind for somebody to read. If you are using an ATM at a bank branch and have the time it is always best to observe for a while first. Make sure there is nobody hanging around outside the bank or in the area around the ATMs. If there is somebody just hanging around in the lobby area and not actually waiting to use one of the machines he/she could be a spotter for somebody on the outside waiting to rob someone who withdraws a large amount of cash. Don't take any chances, in this case I would recommend finding an ATM in some other location. If someone seems really suspicious don't be afraid to call the police in order to have the individual checked out. WE HAVE HAD SOME ISSUES AROUND ATM MACHINES BUT THEY SEEM TO BE PRETTY ISOLATED. GOOD GENERAL ADVICE HERE. ONCE INSIDE THE BANK YOU ARE PRETTY  SURE THINGS WILL BE FINE. 

Documents - make certified copies (at any Cartório) of all your important documents, passport, visa, birth certificate, etc. and carry only the certified copies around with you... your CPF or RNE and if you drive here in Brazil your license are about the only original documents you will need to carry with you. I have lived here for ten years now and never had any problems relating to using copies of documents. Remember that a lost or stolen passport can be a real big problem so leave it in a safe place. You may get hassled by an airline using a certified copy of your passport for national flights, like I was once, but you are only required to produce the original if you are flying internationally. Don't let them b___ s_____ you into thinking otherwise. Any form of inter-city or interstate transportation requires that you produce ID, the law does not specify that it must be original, therefore a certified copy is acceptable. When I threatened to call the police in order to register a complaint which I would follow up with a claim against the airline for damages if I missed my plane, the certified copy of my passport suddenly became worth its weight in gold and I was allowed to board my flight without any further hassles. I'VE NEVER HEARD OF TRAVELING INTERNATIONALLY ON A CERTIFIED COPY OF MY PASSPORT.  HERE,  I CARRY A COPY OF MY PASSPORT BUT DO NOT USE IT UNLESS I HAVE  TO. NEVER EVER ALLOW ANYONE TO HAVE YOUR PASSPORT,  DO NOT LEAVE IT WITH A RENTAL CAR OFFICE. THAT IS A SCAM I KNOW GOES ON IN SOME PLACES.  DO NOT LEAVE IT EVER!!!!! 

HERE IF YOU HAVE A CEDULA YOU MUST CARRY THE ORIGINAL, A COPY IS NOT ACCEPTED, PERIOD. 

REMEMBER ONE CARDINAL RULE - NOTHING THAT YOU OWN IS MORE VALUABLE THAN YOUR LIFE AND HEALTH. If you find yourself in the unfortunate situation of being face-to-face with someone intent on robbing you do not react in any way. Comply immediately with whatever demand is made without any resistance or delay. Remain calm, talk in a calm manner and do not make any quick moves. Obviously this supposes you speak at least some SPANISH  but keep your hands in plain view and explain to the robber exactly what you are going to do before you do it... example: Ok, I'm going to reach into my back pocket and slowly take out my wallet. Remember that the robber will probably be even more nervous than you are, you have to take control of the situation as best you can by remaining calm and making absolutely no noise or acting in any way that will startle or anger the robber. Lots of people are injured or killed because they delayed in doing what a thief wanted or because the made some sudden move which frightened or startled the robber. Don't make that mistake yourself. I'VE HEARD THIS FROM SECURITY EXPERCTS.  HARD TO DO BUT REMAINING CALM IS YOUR BEST OPTION. 

ONE MORE FOR THE DR -  BE VERY VERY CAREFUL WHO YOU LET INTO YOUR HOUSE.  AS EXPATS WE ARE SOMETIMES (READ OFTEN) SEEN AS A WALKING ATM MACHINE, WE ARE EXPECTED TO BE RICH.  THINGS WE TAKE FOR GRANTED ARE LUXURIES FOR MANY HERE. DO  NOT LET PEOPLE YOU DO NOT KNOW EXTREMELY WELL INTO YOUR HOUSE! OFTEN IT IS NOT THE PEOPLE YOU KNOW WHO SET YOU UP IT IS THE PEOPLE WITH THEM.  FOR EXAMPLE ANOTHER EXPAT COMES BY FOR COFFEE AND BRING HER "BOYFRIEND". THIS PERSON THEN CASES THE HOUSE AND NEXT THING YOU KNOW 2 WEEKS LATER YOU ARE ROBBED.  ANOTHER COMMON SCENARIO -  YOU HAVE VISITORS ALL GOES NICELY.  LATER ONE OF THE VISITORS IS CHATTING AWAY WITH THEIR FRIENDS ABOUT HOW NICE YOUR HOUSE AND POOL IS!  IDLE CHATTER CAN LATER MAKE YOU A TARGET!  BE CAREFUL.

Cheers,William James Woodward - Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team
THANKS JAMES!  THIS IS VERY HELPFUL

DARLENE AKA PLANNER

Good additions and clarification for living in the DR

Bob K

Thanks Bob!  Here is some more additions:

1. Never RENT a house or apartment that does not have bars on the windows and doors!  No matter what anyone says about security -  get the bars! (exception to this would be an apartment tower)

2. It is never a bad idea to have a dog!  Dogs are a deterrent no matter how small they are. If they bark at strangers or are the LARGE silent type, they are a deterrent.

3. When you occupy a house or apartment - change the locks!  You do not know who may have a copy.  I have my own padlocks for this reason and I will change the door locks when I move if needed.

Bob can you think of others?

Good additions. I would add be very careful as to who you let into  your house and NEVER leave a repair person alone in the house. After 7+ years most people still do not know where I live.

Bob K

Agreed Bob,  now you understand why Closet Boy is such a pain in my butt  - I have to stay in the house with him the whole time!!!!  Days and days and days of this!

Not only are they not left alone but we walk around with them and have the  Rottie on a leash with us as well. Not for fear on my part but to instill fear on their part. :)

Bob K

Good idea.  My dogs will lick anyone to death!!!!  When I am here they are both big wussies..... when i am not here....... well that is another story!

Safety and security in the DR is important to all expats.  Just this morning, our villa (we have renters) was broken into and ransacked........the thieves were very professional as they waiting for our renters to walk 4 blocks to the local colomado, and then they struck, breaking through the security gates and the front door.  (Sosua, La Mulata 1 - Windsor Heights)  Fortunately, no one was home or hurt......and 'quick' sale items were taken (laptop, cell phone, cash....).    Another reminder for all of us to be aware of ANYONE lurking around your homes, casa's, etc that isn't supposed to be there.   It doesn't hurt to take a picture of vehicles or people in the area just in case. 

Although crimes happen everywhere nowadays, we need to stand together and work together to ensure criminals know we won't put up with their actions. 

Keep safe everyone....................... 

David

Good post freedom. Is that the same compound where those German residents were invaded by the local police? Is this a gated community with a watchman or just out on the main road?

No........... I believe that the compound you are referring to is La Mulata 3 which is further up the hill from Sosua. 

Our 'area' unfortunately does not have a watchman in place.  Apparently there had been some negative issues with the previous security people and the area chose not to replace them.  Sometimes its hard to know 'who' to trust.

David, Sorry to hear this.  It sometimes is tough with out a gated community or on site security. 
A big rottie would also help.

Bob K

Security always must be taken seriously!!! Yes Bob a nice big dog would help!!! He'll even a little dog helps.

That is why we have two a small 14 pound barker and a 140 biter/enforcer :)

Bob K

A good plan!!!