Just joined Expat - About to move to Malta so I thought I would say hi

Hello everyone!

My name is Chris and I am currently working and living in Latvia. My company will be opening an office in Malta and in two weeks I make the move!

I wondered if you could shed some light on a few things I am not sure about. Like these ID cards, I have heard that you can wait months to get one, and cannot get anything, like internet/tv services, until you have one. Is this correct?

Also, any people who are already in Malta, who would you recommend for things like TV, internet, mobile phone providers, also energy suppliers...?

Its all happening at such short notice for me!

Thanks guys, and I look forward to talking to you all!

Chris

No, strictly speaking you do not need an e-Residence card for services but you may be 'forced' to pay a deposit that someone with one does not have to do. I understand that in your circumstances your employer will be responsible for applying for yours but others may be able to offer more factual advice. (I am retired so not knowing about this.)
Please look around this blog, under the relevant topic headings for answers to many of your questions.
There is only one energy (electricity) supplier.
I use Go for mobile, Melita for landline and internet.
For TV you may want to look at this this topic group........https://www.expat.com/forum/341-12-telecommunications-in-malta.html

Hi Chris,
I relocated to Malta just over 2 months ago myself. I have been able to set up TV, internet etc without a Maltese ID. I was able to open a bank account but was advised to inform the bank about my Maltese ID number as soon as I had one. Other than that the lack of ID has not been a problem for me so far.
I did find the forum here very helpful during my first days/weeks. Most of the questions you have are answered here. It might just take some time finding the right thread and reading through it all but there is plenty of information and advice here in the forum.
Best of luck with your move and a successful start for the company! :-)

Melita for internet and landline for sure
Go for mobile
for tv - dont bother with local cable - waste of money, time and effort - they will tie you to a 24/36 month contract and you will be sick of it within a few weeks / months  - there are other options much cheaper and better quality with bang up to date content

and as already stated we only have one suppler for water and electricity although there are two suppliers of bottled gas as there is no mains gas supply.

buses are in a state of flux right now with changes happening - cars are expensive to buy here

Guys,

Thank you for your replies!  i feel much better about this ID card thing now! I have been looking through the forum and this site is very informative!

Thanks again!

Chris