Taxi cost to Puerto Plata Airport

Anyone know the current rate for taxi from Puerto Plata town to the airport?

and is there a departure tax? i cant remember ever paying one, but read something about there is a $20 departure tax?

Hi and welcome to the forum. I believe the taxi is about 1,000 rd. How long have you over stayed your tourist visa? Your fee depends how long you have over stayed.

Taxi fares vary. I can tell you that the taxis that work at the airport are far more expensive than any others.
As far as the Salida or exit tax, it's on a scale. If you've been here for 30 or kess days, it's included in your ticket price. Last time I flew out I was here for more than 30 days but less than 90 and that was 800rd. It's been almost a year since I made that trip so it may gave gone up. I'm about to fly out and have a friend who works at Santiago airport. I've asked him to find out, for me, the Salida for 5 months. Still waiting for the answer, I'm not leaving till next month.
The one nice thing about having a cedula is you don't have to pay a Salida. I've been here 13 years and have yet to pay an equal amount in salidas as it would cost me to get a cedula. So I don't have one and don't ever plan on getting one.

thanks for all the advice. But by departure tax I did not mean the overstay fee! I think thats 2500 for up to a year and 4000 over a year....I actually meant airport departure tax which I read somewhere was $20?

We're talking about the same thing. 30 days or less you pay nothing. It's included in your ticket price

By the way, if you're here on a yacht, that's a different story and I can't answer that one.

To keep this thread on the right side of Dominican law,  you need to be told that you should get your Dominican Residencia if you intend to routinely stay here longer then the length of time on a tourist visa.  Some day it will be enforced and you will not be able to just stay here whenever you feel like it. It has been a nice ride for a lot of people but someday that will come to an end.

planner wrote:

To keep this thread on the right side of Dominican law,  you need to be told that you should get your Dominican Residencia if you intend to routinely stay here longer then the length of time on a tourist visa.  Some day it will be enforced and you will not be able to just stay here whenever you feel like it. It has been a nice ride for a lot of people but someday that will come to an end.

-----------------------------
yes, I fear you are right, we all been lucky these years but it cant last forever :-(
On all my travels DR definitely the easiest place to stay for long term in the world, other countries make it far more difficult.
Personally I think DR policy is sensible. Tourists who stay a long time spend a lot of money during their stays, Countries who make it hard lose out financially, but seems stupid bureaucrats rule the world.
Well we all had a good ride, but eventually think there will be changes in the next few years there have been various rumors, but nothing has happened yet.

I was told by my lawyer that because I own my farm I don't need to worry unless I make money, real money. But, then again, she told me that years ago. Thank you planner. I always respect your input.

Thanks,  I will keep everyone updated on any changes in the law as I hear em.....  but more important is changes in enforcement of the current laws!

The $20 US departure tax is included on some air fares (All US carriers and most Canadian) many do not include it so be prepared to pay $20 every time you exit and this has nothing to do with over stay fees.
Here is a schedule of the over stay fees:

De 30 días a 3 meses
RD $800.00
De 3 meses a 9 meses
RD $1,000.00
De 9 meses a 1 año
RD $2,500.00
De 1 año a 1 año y 6 meses
RD $4,000.00
De 1 año y 6 meses a 2 años

Planner is right in that the government is getting stricter all the time and soon if you are here for any length of time you will be forced to get your residency.

Bob K