Re entering brazil after overstaying my visa

Hello all  and Feliz ano novo !

I have a question to whom ever might be able to help me. I was in brazil from dec (2012) to august of last year and i did not extend my us tourist visa. I was in the state of amazonas about a two day boat ride away from the closest city and did not go to get my visa extension when i would have needed to. Long story short, i overstayed my visa by 4 months when i finally left the country which was at the end of august 2013. I am in a bit of e desperate situation now because i need to go to rio de janeiro to tell a female how i feel about her  ( don't laugh ). Do i have to wait untill august to re enter brazil ? I believe the maximum an american on a tourist visa can stay is six months out of the year correct ? well i exceeded that limit on my last stay in brazil, so does that mean i have to wait a whole year to re-enter ?  How can i tell the girl from impanema that i want to marry her ?!?!?!!

Not quite, if you have a VITUR Tourist Visa (physical visa attached to passport) you must wait a whole year from your date of departure from Brazil in order to be entitled to a full 180 days.

180 days from departure you get back to ZERO entitlement
270 days from departure you are entitled to 90 days (without ability to extend)
1 year from departure you are entitled to 90 days, which can be extended for up to 90 more days

Between 180 and 270 days you are entitled to one day for each day that has passed from the 180 day.  So after 220 days for example you would be entitled to 220 - 180 = 40 days.

Between 270 days and one year you are allowed an initial 90 day visit and can extend that for only as many days over the 270 you have been out of Brazil. So after 295 days you could visit for your 90 days and request an extension of 25 days.

If you do not require a visa under the Visa Waiver Program or Schengen Area Agreement, then the rules are different, you are allowed to be in Brazll for 90 days in a three month period. Essentially 90 in the country, 90 out, 90 back in, 90 out again.

To answer your question about how to tell the Girl from Ipanema you want to marry her, that's simple..................... "Amor, tenho uma coisa bem sério pra te falar. Quero me casar com você! Aceita?"   LOL

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team

Just a thought that I didn't mention. If you can get some other kind of visa, for example if you were to enroll in a qualifying course and apply for a VITEM-IV Student Visa you could come back at any time. A different visa is not affected by the previous overstay.

Just remember that in any case you're going to have to pay the overstay fine upon return to Brazil regardless of what visa you use.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team

Obrigado meu amigo !!!

Just to help you out in your quest for getting back to Brazil, here is a nifty list of schools in Brazil.
List of official universities in Brazil.
Good luck to you.