Playa Lagarto Eco Developement

I'm sharing information of my latest visit to Playa Lagarto Eco Development site

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Sharing of external links not allowed. Please share info here itself.

Ty Peter Sh,
Good fb site to start !!
I encourage everyone to join !!
Ty for the nice pictures !
Pictures tell a million words !!

Good job, I will add some more photos when I visit again later this year!

We just got back from Costa Rica and visited the development twice while we were there. We are the ones that visited ERMAC and our Daughter is 9. we have a fantastic time in Costa Rica and my wife is planning on heading back with her parents and our daughter in March. We are building a villa in phase one that is nearly complete. Here is my 2 cents on some of these topics. As far as the placement of the development, The first day we arrived we drove from Libera airport and met with Gabriel who was waiting for us on the side of the main highway. this was about 17 kms from the development itself. We drove about 7 kms then you turn on the road to Nosara. It is a gravel road that in my opinion is fairly highly travelled. This road had a few pole holes along the way so a decent sport utility is your best friend. On a side note they consider a "full size sport utility" a Hyundia Santa Fe. I was hoping for the Tahoe I booked. Any who, the last 10 kms will take 15 to 20 minutes so don't get frustrated, its a gravel road with pot holes. I was informed that the road gets grated every 4 months and it was not done the last time it was suppose to so maybe a little rougher when we were there. I was also told they were going to pave it in the next 5 years. So travel time from Liberia Airport to my villa was nearly one and a half hours. And we stopped for gas and some cold beer. We drove both ways. Once through Santa Cruze and once through Tamarindo. Santa Cruze is the quick easier way to go in my opinion.
The location of the place feels a little remote, but what we found is we were off doing day trips every day any ways. Everything is a bit of a drive.
I have built a few new homes before so seeing the construction site was exciting for me. Maybe a little scary to some. This project is a lot bigger than I thought. The Villa itself was what I was expecting.  A small 2 bedroom 2 bathroom vacation property. The common pool that was suppose to be built in the summer of 2014 and finished by Christmas had not even started. We were told they do not have the permits for this yet. Once the villas are complete and landscaping is finished they are to fence this area in to kind of separate it from the construction, so that will be cool.The only other thing I was not impressed with was the fact that it was not gated community as the promised. There was no one stopping and questioning anyone coming in or out of the place. So hopefully that changes soon. That was a deciding factor when I bought this place.
Driving time to Tamarindo was 40 minutes, and that place is a happening spot. We enjoyed the visit there. Not sure I would want to stay there for a week. We stayed at the JW Marriot which is about 6 mile south of Tamarindo at Hacienda Pinilla. The place was great. But a little expensive. it was about a 30 minute drive from there to my villa.
You can definitely buy everything you need on Costa Rica. If you don't mind driving around and walking in a few stores. As far as the furniture goes we contacted Ashley furniture in San Jose, Dealt with a sales rep over email and we bought all our furniture, delivered to our villa and set up for 4000 USD less than the builder price. The appliances can be purchased locally as well. I didn't pay much attention to this as we felt that 3000 usd for fridge stove microwave a washer and dryer was a decent deal. The incidentals like pots pans knives forks coffee maker we bought at the do it center which is a store that you will pass on your way from the airport to the development. its a few miles from the airport on the same side of the road.
Bringing stuff from Canada was easy as well. we brought a 32 inch flat screen TV, dvd player all the bedding, towels  blankets with us. We vacuum packed all the stuff and put it in one suit case. the TV we checked it like luggage. On the Costa Rica end we had no issues at all. We did bring receipts with is for the TV and DVD, but we were not asked.
The only thing I did not come across that I was looking for was privacy curtains. all the Curtains I found were see through material. I thought it was cool, my wife was against it.
I have all the measurements for the windows in the Villa if anyone is heading down and want to take there curtains with the..
I spoke to someone from Recap before I left and they told me I needed to have my furniture and appliance there for the beginning of April. So it takes about 8 to 10 weeks for the furniture to arrive. I still have not pulled the trigger on this. If I would have ordered the furniture when they told me to it would have been sitting around for along time with no home. But, on a positive note. I was just there and my place is almost done. So I will be placing my order shortly. Thanks to ERMAC for all the help and support through this journey, you guys are fantastic!!

Mark O

Ty so much Mark,
That was very helpful, I am trying to figure out the furniture thing myself.
So For $6000us you got appliances and furniture ?
Did the airline charge your tv like an extra suitcase ?
Was buying pots, cutlery , coffee maker more expensive then Canada ?
My daughter is 11
Ty

I paid 4500 usd for the furniture, 2 queen beds 4 night stand, 2 sets of mattresses kitchen table 4 chairs pullout couch, 2 end tables and a coffee table as well as the table to set a TV on, which is as extra in their packages and a chair. 500 for set up and delivery. so 5000 in total compared to RECAPs which is 9000. then the appliances I think I will just do with them for the 3 grand. I spent less than 400 bucks for the tv and dvd at costco and then paid 29 dollars extra with the airline we flew with for extra weight for me and my with so it was 60 bucks more but took a bunch of stuff with us.
as far as the cost of stuff. maybe a little more but nothing to get fired up about. even the TV there was a 42 inch sony tv at a store called MONGE in Tamarindo for 299 900 colones which is like $560 usd. So ya that's a little more but you don't have to put it on an airplane and that's worth something for sure. long and short of it is what they wanted 15000 usd for the furniture appliances and accessories we will do for 9000 ish. so I took my family on a great vacation, got to see the place meet some people and I am still ahead. if the Villa would have been done as it was suppose to be. We were going to co ordinate to have the furniture and appliances arrive at the same time we did and we could have stayed there and it would have been even less money. but all is good. if you want to go to a private message I we can swap email addresses. My wife is travel agent and we made lots of notes. We as well had all the same questions and concerns as you do. You can choose to write a cheque to recap or have a little adventure and same some money.

Mark O

That's great !
Ya I like the idea of adventure and saving a bit of money !
So your villa is not livable yet ?
Ty

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Please do not share external links on the forum.

Peter, you will get shit from the site moderators again,,,lol,
I did it in private msgs !

No. But ours what 95 percent finished. I think that all of the villas needed to be construction complete by the 18 of January as per the builders contract with Recap.

Hello Marko,
Thank you for your very useful post!  My wife and I have visited PLED twice so far but our home building project is still two years away because our lot is in phase 3!  That said, it is really exciting to see all the progress being made in phase 1 and 2 and being able to communicate and learn from others that are starting a new life in Costa Rica.

Bob.

Thank you Marko, it was a pleasure to have you and your wonderful little familly around. I bet your little mermaid is missing the ocean now !!!  Looking forward to see you and your famlly again !

Hi I read somewhere on this forum I think, of someone making home made furniture
In the tamarindo area, I can't find it ?
Does anyone know ?
Ty

Hello Julie et bri,

There are couple shops near Tamarindo where you can order furniture. Both work with local carpenters that can make any furniture you want. However, the furniture that they offer is a bit more expensive than the other offering.
There is one shop near Santa Cruz on a way to Lagarto. We have ordered furniture from that shop. It is not made yet but they have reasonable prices. Also you may provide your sketches with dimensions, they will give you a quote. You may transfer prepayment to the guy and they will fab that furniture for you. If you interested I may send you contact information.
If you want to get table and chairs made for you, there is a small place a little bit further. Over there you have to pay cash and have a sketch. They use all kind of wood and promising to make table and chairs  in 7-10 day.

I have seen some nice 'local' furniture...and some not-so-nice...but if you are ordering something 'different' from what is on actually on display, you may not get exactly what you expect... and they may not return your funds or replace the items.

Forgot to mention that there is a carpenter that make furniture in Marbella. Its about 10 km from Lagarto. We bought a custom made bedroom from that guy. He makes nice solid wood furniture but  he does not speak English and he uses not so nice handles for drawers and doors.  His prices are negotiable but you only paying cash.

Hi Roy,
Yes I will take ant contact info you have, Ty, I will give you my
email !!
I have put this post in another area but no response so I'll put it here as people are very helpful !!

Looking to buy furniture in the guanacaste area, appliances, ect to furnish a villa in June 2016, hoping to find someone that is having a moving out sale. I wouldn't mind second hand furniture in good condition.
Pls if you know someone that's moving, around that time, pls let them know !!
Also can you suggest well priced furniture stores in the guanacaste area.
I've also saw someone on this forum talking about someone that's makes home made furniture
close to tamarindo I think ?
Where can I buy the lease expensive mattresses  ?
As anybody ever used  Pacifica home furnishing ?
Ty in advance !!
I hope I get lots of suggestions on this !
Ty !

Jan, I know you posted something on expat a long time ago in regards to the land you purchased in Costa Rica from Sean.  I also purchased from him and looking to get an attorney to search into this matter.  Did you ever find anything out, whether our contracts are legal and whether we actually still have ownership?  I am going a few routes to see what I can find out.  I pretty much figured this as a loss, but want to make sure.  If it is truly a loss I will use it as a tax writeoff.

Thanks!
Amy

Hi Amy,

Who did you purchase your property through? Was it Recap Investments for the Playa Lagarto Eco Development?

thanks,

It was not, it was purchased directly through the owner, Sean Brady.  I did finally get in touch with him so hopefully I can get more info.  Apparently Recap is involved in a different project.

Does anyone have pleads address please ?
Ty

PLED adress ?  If you are looking for your adress here, in Costa Rica, contact David or Carlos and they might be able to give it to you.  Adress system in Costa Rica work a little differently than in Canada.

Hi marko,
I know you said you didn't get questioned at the airport, however did you expect to pay import tax on what you brought ?
Do you know if there's an exemption amount ?
Ty

$500 exemption and be prepared to show receipts if necessary

Ya 500 usd. But if your bringing things that you can justify that you are using for your vacation. I dont believe it counts towards your 500. So we brought a tv and DVD player with receipts. But all the bedding and towells and stuff like that. We were going to say we need for our vacation. If asked. Which we weren't. I think they are looking for stuff coming into the country for resale purposes. If you were carrying 25 laptops. You might have a problem.

Problem is they can do anything they want but I regularly travel with more than $500 worth but I try not to make it obvious and just be prepared if they feel like hasseling you

Ty for your good info !!
Is it $500 per person ?

Yes, $500 per person

Joanne,
Do you think it also applies to kids, 12yo ?
Ty

Does any one know how many owners in phase one are paying HoA fees. Rumor has it not all are paying. If they are I don't think it adds up.

Hi Marko,

Do you have by chance email address of the Sales Guy at Ashley Home Furniture in San Jose? I've seen the Ashley website but not sure if we can order online, or online order is available only within the US. Did you use their website to order on-line? Also, many items don't have a price on their website. Did you get somehow a catalogue from Ashley or how did you see their available items?

Thanks in advance!

I did not order online. I viewed the stuff on the website. Then emailed the sales rep for prices. Once I narrowed it down he drew up a contract listing all the furniture. You wire the money and pay in full upfront. About 8 weeks wait for the furniture. You'll will also pay about 500 usd for delivery and set up. I spent. Just over 4000 usd to furnish my whole place. They do not do appliances. Or tvs. I took a tv down with me last time I went. And appliances I will do through recap. Email ***

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

Thanks a lot Marko! Very helpful!

Hello

Is there anyone who is going to be around between March 18-20.  I am flying down from Toronto and am in the process of buying land but I had to look at the project first before jumping in. 

If there will be anyone down there who is already living in the community and would not mind answering some questions, I would be greatful.

I will most likely be staying a couple nights in Tamarindo and getting their driving to show me around the area.

Thanks

Curtis

Hello Curtis,

We live on site !

M-C

Hello ERMAC

Will you be around on those dates to chat by any chance.

Thanks

Curtis

Hello Curtis,

Yes we will !  Once you get here, I would assume you will have Gabriel picking you up for a visit of the site ?Just let him know you want to meet with us and he will contact us. There are only 2 full time living-in owners on site and we are the only Canadian one !  And the only one so far that did not use Carlos to build our house !! M-C

Hello MC. I think I'll be at the development on the 19th but maybe the 20th. I'd love to stop by and talk to you for a bit about the development, if you'll be around. What's your lot #

Thanks

Curtis

Oh and I guess it will be Gabriel driving me but I'm not totally sure yet. Whoever it might be is picking me up in Tamarindo.

Curtis

Hello

Do you still have a lot available?

Thanks

Curtis