Moving to Malta

Hi i am new to this site but liking it already. I am looking to relocate from England to Malta this year and wondered as i am a single person would anybody be able to give me advice on I.D card, Employment and Accommodation. I came March last year but i spent 2 whole weeks back and forth to Valletta to try to get my I.D card and in the end i just went back home,(such a fool). I then came back again for another holiday and still find i still want to move there and find work etc. I realized there are so many people wanting to move to Malta that maybe that's why i was back and forth to the office in Valletta because there were so many people in queues. Not sure if Malta is fed up of everyone moving to their country so here i am again wanting to move and get a little apartment and a job. If anyone can give me any advice where the jobs are, i will do anything, cleaning,waitress,bar work. Just need a little pointing in the right direction. Also as i am a single woman do you think i would get any friends? Don't want to be on my own for too long lol.

Have a good look around the site as many of your questions are answered here in other threads.
For starters see this: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=316705

Hi thanks i am already lol

Hi Sheila,

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure that you will find all the answers to your questions. There is a lot of wonderful people on this forum who are willing to help.

One bit of advice I can give is make sure you have enough money to live on before you come for at least 3 months and don't be afraid to knock on doors and ask if there are any jobs.

BTW, me and my wife move in two weeks after 2 years of planning.

Best of luck

Ken

Hi Ken thank you for your advice,much appreciated. Good luck with your move, keep me up to date on your progress. Happy New Year :-)

@ Ken countdown is started 2 weeks.
Hope all the two years in planning makes it a success.
Hope to be living here for two months of the year myself in 2014.

Thanks Sheila, will keep you updated.

Starting to get excited now but still a lot to do :)

Ken

MalteseCross wrote:

@ Ken countdown is started 2 weeks.
Hope all the two years in planning makes it a success.
Hope to be living here for two months of the year myself in 2014.

So do we, think we covered most bases but expect a few hiccups along the way.

You going to be working out here or just an extended holiday?

Ken

sheilaricketts5 wrote:

Hi i am new to this site but liking it already. I am looking to relocate from England to Malta this year and wondered as i am a single person would anybody be able to give me advice on I.D card, Employment and Accommodation. I came March last year but i spent 2 whole weeks back and forth to Valletta to try to get my I.D card and in the end i just went back home,(such a fool). I then came back again for another holiday and still find i still want to move there and find work etc. I realized there are so many people wanting to move to Malta that maybe that's why i was back and forth to the office in Valletta because there were so many people in queues. Not sure if Malta is fed up of everyone moving to their country so here i am again wanting to move and get a little apartment and a job. If anyone can give me any advice where the jobs are, i will do anything, cleaning,waitress,bar work. Just need a little pointing in the right direction. Also as i am a single woman do you think i would get any friends? Don't want to be on my own for too long lol.

You are an EU citizen so you have every right to stay in Malta. When you arrive just submit the EID application by post and wait for them to notify you its ready to collect. You can work rent a place etc while waiting although the rent and utilities may cost you a bit more until you get your EID.
Unemployment is up at the moment but there are jobs out there you just need to chase them, so bring some backup cash to tide you over.
Don't let the paperwork put you off, its pretty straightforward and as an EU  citizen you have the right to remain in Malta without an EID ( so long as you have started the process).

Good luck and a happy new year,
          Terry