Music is not something that is embraced in Saudi Arabia?

I'll be moving to Riyadh the first few weeks of January 2014. I play sax and was thinking about taking it with me but read that music is not something that is embraced in Saudi Arabia. Have any musicians has any issues walking around with their instruments?

Hi Rcortez,

Please note that a new discussion was created as from your post on the Riyadh forum for better visibility.

I am sure the members will provide you with some useful information very soon.

Best of luck,

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

Well, it's too complicated.

From an Islamic point of view, there is a debate on which playing instruments is prohibited or not. Since Saudi Arabia is a conservative country, playing instruments is not allowed. Now, how this religious decision is applied varies from situation to another. If you are going to play sax at your home, compound, shop, etc.. it's alright. However, if you are playing sax in public, the "religious police" will stop you. I emphasis on playing because owning an instrument is not prohibited.

Bottom line, to be safe bring whatever instruments you like but don't play in public.

Have any musicians has any issues walking around with their instruments?

Haha, the seas will dry up before you see anybody randomly walking around with musical instruments!

Having said that, if you walk around with one, there is no problem.  After all, they are sold here in musical instrument shops.  Just don't play one in public, as aman said.  That's also hypocritical, because malls and restaurants have music playing in the background, but oh no, no one can be seen in public playing an instrument, because, ummm, that would just be too much.

Western schools and some compounds have musical performances and recitals regularly, so you can always try to get your foot in the door of some group if you want to play with others.

Thank you for the information, I will take my sax but use it only in the compound.

:)

You know what is going to be epic win.......
do this in Saudi Arabia and you'll be a hit... literally :lol:
Sexy Sax Man

Lol good one. I might try it at the compound if I get really bored  :D

Rcortez wrote:

Lol good one. I might try it at the compound if I get really bored  :D

If you are not going to wear skinny leather pants, then don't do it.
If you're going to, then don't forget to record it. We also get bored  ;)