Anyone with experience bringing computer through custom?

I'm planning to move back to Vietnam for a short while and I'm thinking about bringing my computer with me (by taking it apart and bringing over the pieces and then buy a case and put it together in Vietnam). Does anyone know how easy it is to do this? Would the items be considered electronics and I would need to pay import taxes or anything? Are they going to detain my hard drives and things like that ?

Better you shouldn't bring your computer here. Computers and laptops are very cheap to buy here. If you need to carry some important files from your system then just copy it to some pen drive and take with you!
You can carry a laptop with you whether it is new or old but computer is difficult.

I wanted to carry my computer because I built it myself and I can play a lot of games on there. But yeah, if customs is a hassle, I guess I'll have to bring just the laptop. Thanks

Sora,

Slip the luggage scanners some "coffee money," you and your computer will be good to go.

If you're talking about packing the motherboard, hardware cards, and hard drives in your luggage and then get a desktop case here to reassemble all of it after you get here - yes, you could do that, and may not have a problem with customs. Just be sure to keep the really valuable stuff with you in carry-ons and you should be OK.  If all else fails, the money trick recommended by Wild_1 will get you through.  And Charma, everyone knows that buying a computer in VN is less than ideal, because you typically get last year's model, at next year's prices (higher, mainly due to VN import taxes).

saigonmonkey wrote:

If you're talking about packing the motherboard, hardware cards, and hard drives in your luggage and then get a desktop case here to reassemble all of it after you get here - yes, you could do that, and may not have a problem with customs. Just be sure to keep the really valuable stuff with you in carry-ons and you should be OK.  If all else fails, the money trick recommended by Wild_1 will get you through.  And Charma, everyone knows that buying a computer in VN is less than ideal, because you typically get last year's model, at next year's prices (higher, mainly due to VN import taxes).

Yep this is exactly what I was talking about. The only thing I'm afraid of is that they will detain me or my hard drives for inspections. Of course there's always the money trick that Wild_1 mentioned, but I've heard sometimes even with the money trick, they will still give you a hassle because it might be considered something akin to national security (they might still think my hdds would contain sensitive documents against the communist government). I'm not at all outspoken against the VN gov't but you never know, Vietnam's custom has been known to be terrible, especially against Viet Kieu

If I were to pack it like that, do you think they would give me hassle for bringing in electronics items? I guess I'll prepare $20 bucks or so (per custom dude???) just to make it easy

sora1607 wrote:

Yep this is exactly what I was talking about. The only thing I'm afraid of is that they will detain me or my hard drives for inspections. Of course there's always the money trick that Wild_1 mentioned, but I've heard sometimes even with the money trick, they will still give you a hassle because it might be considered something akin to national security (they might still think my hdds would contain sensitive documents against the communist government). I'm not at all outspoken against the VN gov't but you never know, Vietnam's custom has been known to be terrible, especially against Viet Kieu

If I were to pack it like that, do you think they would give me hassle for bringing in electronics items? I guess I'll prepare $20 bucks or so (per custom dude???) just to make it easy

Well, you just said the magic words in your post above - Viet Kieu. All bets are off for you. You're likely to get picked on, but maybe our friend Wild_1 will come along and shed some light on this. Meanwhile, take a look at this post from a (I assume former, since he hasn't posted anything in about 10 months) Expat.com member, Jaitch:

Jaitch wrote:

Since when has VietNam ever taxed a Foreigner flying in to TSN? (Other than Nigerians) I came in after a days trip to SIN loaded down with boxed electronics components and the X-ray sweetie couldn't have been less interested. However, VNese - and Howie (Wild_1) in CA - would get dinged.The airlines require all sharp machine corners be padded - check your carrier for full details. Best to wrap them in strips of cotton sheeting.
Last edited by Jaitch (24 January 2013 15:06:26)

Mr. Jaitch has/had an electronics operation here in VN for some time, and made many claims about bringing electronic components through TSN customs without any problems. But he's apparently NOT VN or Viet Kieu. So you might be OK, or you might not.

None of my Viet Kieu relatives have had any issues with customs ever. Could be luck or could be because they slip $15 in each passport upon arrival/departure? They bring a lot of electronic crap, too. You can't come to Vietnam without 10 relatives begging you to bring over cell phones, laptops and god knows what else to their family back home.

I am a VQ and had no problem getting my laptop (plus 4 mini hard drives, 4 CCTV mini cameras with power supplies) and a smartphone in early November 2013. In fact it took less than 5 minutes clearing both custom and luggage scanner (waiting for the luggage from the plane took 1/2 hr). No, I didn't slip any money in my passport. My suggestion is only show your green paper when they give you problem. Just tell them you are bringing your electronics for your own use. Also, you only have to deal with one dude at custom and one dude at luggage scanner. They may ask you outright for coffee money. Just relax, you are coming in a great city! And yeah, if you don't mind paying $30 for a decent HDMI cable. Electronics here are way overpriced (import tax). Good luck!

That be nice comment Sora

Sweet. Thanks for all the replies guys. Now I gotta somehow figure out about the sharp corners and padding things. I'm planning to just simply have the parts in their original boxes but that doesn't have any paddings for corners. Well I'll figure it out. Thanks for all your helps

brought a used computer 2 years ago and was checked and paid 20$ "tax"

I've brought in a laptop and desktop through the airport before.

I didn't have any problems - though I think it was because there was a huge line and they wanted us to go through quickly.

Two years ago I went to Florida for 3 months and upon departure and return, all that was requested was that I remove it from the satchel/carrier that I usually tote it around in. No problems and upon returning, the airport was not that busy.

Brought many electronics back on a personal basis, no issues, hope this helps.

Been to VN through HCMC many times (about 12) since 1996 and brought computer and all other electronics with no problem.  Never had to slip any "coffee money" either.  It has become much easier through the years.