I need help

Hello, first time poster, long time reader....ahh cliches.

I've been in Budapest for a few months now and I am completely stuck in regards to jobs.

I've worked for Oxeva (appeared in another post with same problem for another) for a week and then they let me go for no reason, again they gave no contract and refused to pay although I did press it and got it in the end. I had an interview for Genpact but got nowhere. Other than that I've had nothing workwise.

I speak only English and I can not find a job or even get an interview even though I have plenty of experience and decent qualifications.

I regularly check cvonline, expressz, profession, szuperallas, caboodle, workmania and xpatloop (flooded with Oxeva) and I never find anything and when I do I get no reply.

I'm at the point I'll do anything, within reason obviously and nothing dodgy just because I'm a "chick". I need help finding a place where to get jobs, call centre, stacking shelves, unloading deliveries, cleaning, handing out fliers etc.

I've never taught English and wouldn't know where or even how to begin or if I'd be any good at it even.

Any information would be greatly appreciated because I am running out off money, luckily I don't have to pay rent or food costs because I now only have around £30 left, also travel costs don't matter as I get a monthly pass paid for me.

I don't get on often so if I don't reply for a while I apologise and thanks for all the replies.

Cannot help you with the jobs as such. You don't say what your qualifications are so hard to judge much about your prospects in this market.

Teaching English is the obvious way to go. Couple of my relatives are teaching English - one in Korea, one in Vietnam. They did online TEFL (Teaching English as  Foreign Language) courses and from what I hear, they did it rather quickly while working on other things. They say that all they are doing is following a book - two versions - teacher and class. Sounds too easy. On the other hand, some people just pay for conversation in order to improve so nothing much required except an ability to be at ease with people and engage in small talk. Perhaps (if you've not done it before) just contact the language schools and see if you can get some conversational work. If you get stuck here, you could try in Austria. There's quite a demand there for teachers (so I am told).

Take care for your safety (don't meet people for conversations down a dark alley at midnight etc).

Hi!

Don't give up!
The way exchange rates are going those 30 quids could go a looong way :-)

Please share your qualifications, experience and real work interests because a real job is probably easyer to find than mcjobs. (mcjob collagues and managers wouldn't speek English, that's why you are not a good fit.)

I second the "conversational English class" suggestion by Fluffy. I can help you phrase a flyer you could paste onto lightposts.

The hospitality industry could be an option as well: hotels, event catering services could need you. I have not heard of these turning nasty. "exotic dancing" is a compeletely different category.

Hi Alexis123, not sure what to say but we have the same first name. Oh! Don't come to the US it's not the best place to be right now. I'd love to be some place else other than the United States but I'm only a teenager. :(

your friend
                                      - Happy:) 15

alexis123 wrote:

I've never taught English and wouldn't know where or even how to begin or if I'd be any good at it even.

You could try this....no German required....

http://www.e4kids.at/txt/jobs/apply/job … unity.html

Alexis, how is it going?

Help us help you!

fluffy2560 wrote:
alexis123 wrote:

You could try this....no German required....

http://www.e4kids.at/txt/jobs/apply/job … unity.html

Duhh!

Summer camps are starting in Hungary, too.
Tourist season means gazilions of seasonal jobs in dire need of English-speakers.

szocske wrote:

Duhh!

Summer camps are starting in Hungary, too.
Tourist season means gazilions of seasonal jobs in dire need of English-speakers.

Hey, it's something! I am sure it's low paid and aimed at students filling in over summer but then again, might buy time to keep going while finding something else - e.g. another more suitable job.

Hi Alexis,

Just keep trying! Don't give up! Maybe you could send your curriculum vitae to language schools even if you don't have experience. They are always lookin for natives.

By ther way, I am a native Hungarian and an English translator. AND I do love the Irish culture.

Melinda