Looking for a teaching English position

Am a Kenyan aged 33 and would like very much to teach English in china. I have 10 years experience in teaching English, am currently working in an international school and hold a certificate of teaching English from Cambridge. My problem is that most of the ads I see are for native speakers from UK, USA, Canada or South Africa. Please help find a way. :-)

Hi CyrusM,

Welcome to expat-blog!

Please feel free to post an advert on the Teaching jobs in China section, with details of your qualifications and skills, this might surely be helpful. Thank you! :)

Regards,

David.

Expat-blog team.

CyrusM wrote:

Am a Kenyan aged 33 and would like very much to teach English in china. I have 10 years experience in teaching English, am currently working in an international school and hold a certificate of teaching English from Cambridge. My problem is that most of the ads I see are for native speakers from UK, USA, Canada or South Africa. Please help find a way. :-)

Yes it is true UK, US, Canada are the preferred choice. Being a native speaker is the key to getting a job in China. If you're not, then I suggest look else-where, but even countries such as Thailand and Vietnam, Laos, etc are demanding more and more native speakers.
However not is all lost. Search the internet for the several employment sites and post your resume on them, also apply for all teaching jobs you can find. The point is, is that there is often more demand for native speakers then there are speakers. In the end you would be a "second" choice or a last resort for anyone school or training center. As English teachers are particularly hard to come by in remote parts of China and even tier two and tier one cities.
So plug away, don't let the employment ads discourage you. What they request is usually a wish list or a way of keeping government watchdogs from getting  suspicious of the actual hiring practices.

Good luck

Kris

When I taught English in China they were very reluctant to hire anybody not from a "native" English speaking country.  I have been told many times that one must be from one of these countries to be legally employed as an English teacher in China.  I cannot say if that is still the case, however.

I do know that some of the smaller schools in the more isolated areas were willing to hire anybody that showed up.  Whether those teachers worked legally or not is anybody's guess.

The work is there if you are willing to live in a tiny village and possibly ignore certain legal technicalities.