Visa & banking

Hi all,

Looking for some advice, sure its straight forward..., hmmm....

Say i want to set up a small business in Cambodia, i think i will need a 30 day business visa, & extend when i am there, is this correct?  Or could i go in on a tourist visa & change when there?

Also, what do people do for banking?  When traveling i use a UK nationwide account, which works out good for transactions, but if i stay for any length of time i guess i will need access to a bank.

Cheers
D

Hi D,

You are probably already here and sorted out your VISA but just in case you are not. I just went through this saga myself, you need to obtain a 30 day business visa and then extend it when you arrive. You can only obtain a business visa at the border or airport, it is US$25. If you get a tourist visa, you will have to fly out and back in again.

If you are in Phnom Penh, happy to have a beer.

Daza

Hey daza

Thanks.  Wish i was there but stuff to sort here first so looking at aug/sep.  Was looking at staying in siem reap, but will be in pp frequently, i'll look you up for that beer!

Cheers
D,
for dazza!

Sounds good, look forward to that beer. You can buy one as cheap as US50c for a glass. :)

In regards to the bank account, you can set one up one here fairly easier, is a variety of banks to choose from.

I love Seam Reap, am going to give Seam Reap a go for 6 months and then decide whether I want to move on or not.

Daz

Daza,

What is your occupation in Siem Reap? Did you end up moving there yet?

Reedrunner,

In Siem Reap yet? What kind of business and how easy is it to setup one there?

I just arrived back in the states from Cambodia. I loved Siem Reap and I too am planning on returning. But information is very sparse and quite difficult to obtain. Interested in some business as well.

Hi kkim
looks like the move is going ahead in about a months time :)... will be doing a bit of photography - not expecting to get rich though, bit it'll be fun...

this sorta stuff..-

behance.net/darrenWilch/frame

but as i say, i'm in a position to not worry about having to earn a living, think it's a bit competitive..  info is about you just need to dig, what info you looking for..

D

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, Siem Reap is awesome, I love it there.

I am still living in Phnom Penh, I managed to complete my TESOL qualifiction here and have since obtained a well paid teaching position with an American School as an primary school/ESL teacher.

Reedrunner is correct, is very competitive here in terms of business transactions, way too many tuk tuks, way too many restaurants and guestnhouses, to succeed you need an edge, plenty of capital or probably even better a local to help you. I have a Khmer partner, he is a chef and wants to open a restaurant, despite him being a chef and a local, I am still skeptical about it.

I would find a paid position first, give it 6 months to suss eveything out and take it from there. I hav e been here nearly 3 months and am still no where near ready to open a business.

Daz

Sorry, in relation to the bank account, I am about to open a local bank account, I think it is fairly easy but I have heard you need at least 12 months validity on your Business Visa.

In the meantime, I still use an Australian account and withdraw from the local ATM's, most charge $3-$4 though per transaction, there is still a few that don't but only a handful e.g. Canadiana bank.