Moving abroad - Lisbon or Porto?!

Hey,

I'm a 24 year old Scot and will be moving away come January/February to live in Portugal for some time.  Not sure how long at the moment but should be at least 6 months. Right now, I've narrowed it down to Lisbon or Porto.

Obviously I'll do my own research and see what I can find, but just wanted to see what you guys had to say? Really just looking for a city with beach close by, good nightlife, good weather, good food.

I realise responses might be quite biased since I'm posting in the Lisbon forum, but my instincts have been leaning towards Lisbon, not sure why, perhaps because it's a much more popular place to visit amongst tourists, but as it is I know very little about both cities and which would be better for me to live in.

Anyway, any advice or pro's/cons of these cities would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Mikey

Quite simply, the further north in Portugal, the wetter it is. That translated is less sun and cooler. Beaches south of the Tagus/Tejo are some of the best in Europe. For surfing, Nazare is the hot spot of the world right now for big waves but to the south at the border between the Alentejo and the Algarve, the surfing is very good as well. What about the beach lifestyle were you most interested in? That can narrow your location quite easily.