South Africans in Beijing

We are starting a quarterly meet and greet for South Africans in Beijing.  There are relatively few of us and no one has made a concerted effort to compile an accurate database of for a few years now!

The first event will be next Friday at Pinotage Restaurant in Sanlitun Soho from 6pm - 7pm and 100rmb will get you a few glasses of SA wines and some snacks.

Please let me know if you can make it and look forward to meeting you!

That sounds a little far away from here.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=294208

Hi Capekid,

Your topic has been moved to the Beijing forum for better views and interaction.

Posting an advert in the Events, Activities, Leisure in Beijing section this might greatly help. Thank you! :)

Regards,

David.

Expat-blog team.

Capekid, only open to south africans????? What about other southern African states???????

Thanks for moving to the correct section and helping the newbie out!

This event is for South Africans only, but the plan is that every second quarter we will make it a SADC event including all Southern African countries.

Good day . Hope not to cold in Beijing. Here in Wuhan we got very cold winds.  Thank you for the invitation to Beijing for South African's Sorry  bud  we will not make it. due to the school here in Wuhan  that I teaching ,is only nock off at 17HR00 PM . I also see that you mention about other parts of South Africa . I am from Durban KZN , witch is the other parts? Specified.
I work before in Beijing from 2008 till 2010. My Chinese wife family in Wuhan that is why we stay in Wuhan . W moved to Guangzhou in January 2014 and me will teaching  at a new school in Guangzhou for two years.  Me wish all of you the best for 2014 and a happy Chrismas:cheers:.
Chris and Zhouying.

@Capekid ... When is next Friday?

Can I suggest that you add a date so that people can easily understand whether they are looking an upcoming event or a historic event.

Hi there

I am moving to Beijing in January!

Would like to stay in touch with you guys.

Thanks

Mariana hi

Welcome to Beijing (in January).

We look forward to seeing at events and being active on the forum.

For now fire questions at us, once arrived, share your experiences with us and help to answer questions of those arriving in after you

All righty then!!

Any suggestions where to buy I-PADS once I'm in Beijing?

Please name a few "well-worth" shops to buy groceries and clothing?

Any tennis clubs?

Lekker!!!!

Hi Mariana Vorster and welcome to Expat.com! :)

Please do not hesitate to start new topics with your questions on the Beijing forum as well ;)

Thank you,
Christine
Expat.com team

Mariana Vorster wrote:

All righty then!!

Any suggestions where to buy I-PADS once I'm in Beijing?

Please name a few "well-worth" shops to buy groceries and clothing?

Any tennis clubs?

Lekker!!!!

I-PADs there is a large Apple Store in The Village (Sanlitun)

Groceries - local the nearest Jingkelong supermarket, foreign stuff nearest Jenny Lou to wherever you are living.

Clothing - your dimensions please :) If you are a Western small then any shop in China as a L or maybe XL. If you are L or larger in S.Africa then it will be harder.

Tennis Clubs - where will you be living. Many of the Expat favoured  have their own courts.

Hi there...

Can you please share some tips on where to shop for clothes once I've arrived in Beijing!  'Cause I don't want to overload my suitcase from this side!!!

Hey I'm a guy and despite being married I am not good with the names of shops for lady's clothes.

Wholesale Market (source for many of the smaller shops) is opposite the zoo.Prices are great, quality varies - Wife's rule of them buy there from the export quality markets and the higher the floor the higher the price and better the quality.

Copy of famous brands Silk Market and Pearl Market (they cater for tourists and often have Western large sizes)

Casual clothes - numerous chains (often inside malls) names such as Jeans West, Vera Modo

LBV (La Belle Vie) - for imported lingerie (best of Beijing Discount Card is accepted there)

My wife used to have a degree in shopping at the Zoo Wholesale Market but she has up-graded and now has a PHD in buying clothes on line from Taobao - (off your topic but on the topic of my wife - if you like what the Chinese call American/European style wooden furniture my wife is the person to contact).

Ball gowns, Cocktail dress I think many will have them made and not buy off the shelf though there are of course shops sell but that is well beyond my level of expertise.

Oh if you need help to shop but are wary of potential language problems I know some people who will be happy to go shopping with you as your personal assistant but they will want to be paid for their time.  I am not sure of thier current rates but can ask for you.

Does any of the above help?