Volunteer work

Hello, I am an Australian guy that wishes to visit HCMC in January or February 2014 and while there was wondering if its possible to to do some volunteer work or lend a hand to those less fortunate.....

I dont want to join up with any agency for a fixed term and also dont need accomodation as i see hotels are very cheap compared with what i have to pay here in Aust.

So if anyone has any suggestions i look forward to hearing back from you soon !!!

Also looking for any friend to hang out with while im there !!!

Thanks,

Lindsay.

Yesss, i want to introduce a class for orphans, they are about 3-10 ages, very cute, but some lack of education, i came there for a charity event in mid autumn festival. They dont have houses, a family has 2 house spent a house for them to study, some volunteers came there to teach them as they are too poor to go to school, it depends on your free time, you can come every time you want, but.. iam not sure about teaching English works. if you have concern with that class, i will give you address.
Anyway, you can join "nguyen uoc hong" club with us, it's a charity club, we have events to help poor, less fortune people each weekend, we have donations so you can contribute money or not, it depends on you, we cook meals for poor people then go to hospital or some poor place to give them, we sell hand made things to raise fund to help people, we go to hospital to care for young children who get cancer,...many...  really great! you can join when you have free time, nothing fixed that you have to attend every weekend,
here is facebook of Nguyen Uoc Hong:
facebook.com/NguyenUocHong

Hello,

Thank you so much for this valuable information....this sounds exactly what im looking for....i just want to help in some small way the under privilaged people ( it does not matter to me if they are young children or teenagers or older people )....i think i have been reasonably lucky in life and i know i live in a lucky country anyway please stay in touch and any further information would be great.

I am not an English teacher but sure i can also help in this area as i have a lot of experience working with asian people from many different countries.

Again thank you,

Lindsay.

yes, you will see many poor people here, i even saw some kids, they are about 3-4 ages, same ages to my brother, but they sat on the road when it was rainning, dirty with mud, the youngest was crying, i really feel pity for them, at their ages, they should have their family'care. But be careful, so many people cheat you here, who are old people or kids as well, pretend to be a beggar, they look pity in order that you will give them money. NEVER GIVE SOME PEOPLE YOU LOOK POOR MONEY, they cant receive it because there are some bad people behind them ask them beg people for money! DO NOT GIVE! you should ask them go to a charity house or something like that, buy them some food or clothes or some help, but no money! We use money to buy/cook meals for people, we even made hundreds or thousand box of rice in a morning! hehe.we just give money for people we know they r really in bad situation, you can not identify who is real beggar, who is not. but almost fake, just like an artist in a drama!

Thats great. I want to be a helping hand too. Is it only on weekends?

im working during the week but Id like to help in the evening or on weekends. Just being there and caring for them is much more than donating. I want to spend my leisure time changing the world.

Is the fb link also in English? Cause I cant read Vietnamese:(

missmae wrote:

I know I'm going a bit off subject here, but is that very common, for parents to teach their kids the parents own native language, but not how to read or write it?
  On subject, I would have liked to have helped also, but it's a little too far for me to travel every weekend.

bluenz wrote:
missmae wrote:

I know I'm going a bit off subject here, but is that very common, for parents to teach their kids the parents own native language, but not how to read or write it?
  On subject, I would have liked to have helped also, but it's a little too far for me to travel every weekend.

Growing up abroad where people have to work and no vn schools available (in my city) its totally common not to teach how to write and read. As you probably learnt since you live quite a while in Vietnam, Vietnamese is a difficult language. Its not as easy as English, Spanish or German because of the accents and characteristics.

Most parents are tired of teaching to their kids so most I know rarely speaks Vietnamese.

And I wasnt never interested in reading and writing because its so time consuming. Did you try it yet bluenz?

missmae wrote:
bluenz wrote:
missmae wrote:

Growing up abroad where people have to work and no vn schools available (in my city) its totally common not to teach how to write and read. As you probably learnt since you live quite a while in Vietnam, Vietnamese is a difficult language. Its not as easy as English, Spanish or German because of the accents and characteristics.

Most parents are tired of teaching to their kids so most I know rarely speaks Vietnamese.

And I wasnt never interested in reading and writing because its so time consuming. Did you try it yet bluenz?

I suppose your parents probably thought you would never need to read/write VN as well.
Yes Viet is definitely difficult to read, especially hand writing, VN's all seem to write their r's to look like n's, and l's sometimes look like f's, sometimes you almost need a magnifying glass to read the accents, etc. I like to see Viet written so I know/try how to pronounce a word correctly.

Well they asked me whether I wanted but I declined since its so much hassle to learn. Funny thing is I CAN read and write ... without the accents u know. So basically I can chat with my family and friends but please no accents. They seem to distract me.

I think speaking Vietnamese is much more important than writing and reading.

People tend to pay more details to grammar and writing etc... Good example are Vietnameses who read and write perfect English but terribly speak and understand it.

Speaking is more important than anything else:)

missmae wrote:

Well they asked me whether I wanted but I declined since its so much hassle to learn. Funny thing is I CAN read and write ... without the accents u know. So basically I can chat with my family and friends but please no accents. They seem to distract me.

I think speaking Vietnamese is much more important than writing and reading.

People tend to pay more details to grammar and writing etc... Good example are Vietnameses who read and write perfect English but terribly speak and understand it.

Speaking is more important than anything else:)

Except for when you are teaching , applying for a job, doing business, etc, etc, better stop here, just been told off for going off topic on another thread.

Yeah better.
I have my relatives here. They do all the paper stuff. No worries for me. As an expats sure its much work. But it will take years to learn readinf and writing and still you will never be like a local

Anyway back to topic. When and where can I volunteer?:)

missmae wrote:

Thats great. I want to be a helping hand too. Is it only on weekends?

im working during the week but Id like to help in the evening or on weekends. Just being there and caring for them is much more than donating. I want to spend my leisure time changing the world.

Yes, only weekend because we have to work too, join when you have freetime, dont worry about donating as we have donations so people go to contribute their money or time are also precious, your time for charity work is appreciated!

missmae wrote:

Yeah better.
I have my relatives here. They do all the paper stuff. No worries for me. As an expats sure its much work. But it will take years to learn readinf and writing and still you will never be like a local

Anyway back to topic. When and where can I volunteer?:)

whenever you can ;)
i know a charity class, iam not sure about teaching Engling, do you want address? as i told the old man who spend house for orphans that i could teach them math/literature one time a week, and he was really excited and bring me a copy of newspaper that written about this charity class enclosed the address, phone number. But i have been too busy so i could not teach them, i will find that piece of newspaper if you r concern ;)
Thanks

bluenz wrote:
missmae wrote:

Quang Ngai has many flooded, poor places too, you can help the locals, that's nice ;)but make sure when you decide to give someone MONEY  welcome all your helps here to make us better ;) Thanks

thanks nana.

Please send me the address. I will have a look then. Im always free during the week and it would be great to contribute for a better world. I see so many poor people here and it breaks my heart.

I heard of Phu My Orpahange near cau Thi Nghe. However relatives told me they moved? Im not so flexible as I dont drive the moto here (no licence yet and too afraid) so it would be great if its closer to Quan 1 or Quan 3. When Im confident enough to drive I go out of Central:)

that's nice.i will tell u more, if u want to help people here frequently, you should join our club ;)

nana91 wrote:

Hello. here is its address:
1B Lien khu 5-11-12 st, Khu pho 5, Binh Tri Dong ward, Binh Tan dist
it's near dist. 5 ;)
if u need phone of the old man who care for orphans, send me a private message ;)

Yes it's very common in Canada. My generation that came over to Canada in the early 80's as kids under 5 years old can speak a bit of Vietnamese as our parents couldn't speak any English. But since our parents came to the country with nothing they worked hard all day and never had personal time with the kids. Although we could speak Vietnamese most can't read or write.

Than there's the current generation that is born in Canada. They can barely speak any Vietnamese because their parents stoop to their level and speak English. So never mind knowing how to read and write Vietnamese.

I learned how to read and write Vietnamse at age 8 because they had a Vietnamese teacher come into the school to teach Vietnamese. Than later on throughout high school I would take the 1 hour bus on Saturday to learn some more Vietnamese. Easy credit!

Back on subject. I'm always eager to help those less fortunate especially the kids. That facebook site looks very informative. So we just show up to the place they indicate or is there someone we can contact?

bluenz wrote:
missmae wrote:

nana91 wrote:

Yesss, i want to introduce a class for orphans, they are about 3-10 ages, very cute, but some lack of education, i came there for a charity event in mid autumn festival. They dont have houses, a family has 2 house spent a house for them to study, some volunteers came there to teach them as they are too poor to go to school, it depends on your free time, you can come every time you want, but.. iam not sure about teaching English works. if you have concern with that class, i will give you address.
Anyway, you can join "nguyen uoc hong" club with us, it's a charity club, we have events to help poor, less fortune people each weekend, we have donations so you can contribute money or not, it depends on you, we cook meals for poor people then go to hospital or some poor place to give them, we sell hand made things to raise fund to help people, we go to hospital to care for young children who get cancer,...many...  really great! you can join when you have free time, nothing fixed that you have to attend every weekend,

Thanks alot nana91!

nana91 wrote:

whenever you can ;)
i know a charity class, iam not sure about teaching Engling, do you want address? as i told the old man who spend house for orphans that i could teach them math/literature one time a week, and he was really excited and bring me a copy of newspaper that written about this charity class enclosed the address, phone number. But i have been too busy so i could not teach them, i will find that piece of newspaper if you r concern ;)
Thanks

Hey do you remember the what newspaper that article was written for?  I remember reading a newspaper article along time ago about a guy who opened his house up for street children.  He has something like over 20 kids.

This guy maybe?

http://tuoitrenews.vn/features/13290/te … r-students

http://r.tuoitre.vn/i/s500/2013/09/Amg3g3WK.jpg

Surprisingly, the family is poor, has no valuable assets, and has to live in a rented house which also accommodates the school's classrooms. It is located at 1B, 5-11-12 Street in Binh Tri Dong Ward.
Six years ago, Mr. Doan Minh Hung and his wife and son started their charitable wish by adopting eight orphans and giving them daily lessons, as they had never attended school before.

WOW!  It's the same school!

nana91 wrote:

it's near dist. 5 ;)
if u need phone of the old man who care for orphans, send me a private message ;)

Tiberius Halcyon Dorianus wrote:

Surprisingly, the family is poor, has no valuable assets, and has to live in a rented house which also accommodates the school's classrooms. It is located at 1B, 5-11-12 Street in Binh Tri Dong Ward.
Six years ago, Mr. Doan Minh Hung and his wife and son started their charitable wish by adopting eight orphans and giving them daily lessons, as they had never attended school before.

WOW!  It's the same school!

nana91 wrote:

it's near dist. 5 ;)

Exactly! :D

Really wanna go there. What about joining an evening or weekend to go there together. Unfortunately I dont know the way as it seems to be a bit outside. If someone can give me a ride it would be great=)

missmae wrote:

Really wanna go there. What about joining an evening or weekend to go there together. Unfortunately I dont know the way as it seems to be a bit outside. If someone can give me a ride it would be great=)

I can give you a ride and I know my way around.  Ever since I read that article, I always wanted to visit but was too hesitant to go alone.  I think this is someone's home so probably Sunday during the day is a better option.  PM me if this sounds interesting to you and we'll discuss this off-thread.

the way to come is hard to locate, i asked so many people, they even live next to that places, but they dont know ~~ i think u should ask for the st first

missmae wrote:

I can give you a ride and I know my way around.  Ever since I read that article, I always wanted to visit but was too hesitant to go alone.  I think this is someone's home so probably Sunday during the day is a better option.  PM me if this sounds interesting to you and we'll discuss this off-thread.

thanks sounds good. Im busy this weekend what about next?

missmae wrote:
missmae wrote:

thanks sounds good. Im busy this weekend what about next?

he got a ban, he told he will give u a ride, is 15th ok for u? ( he asked)

Anyone going to do any volunteering this weekend? I might be able to have some free time on Sunday while I'm still in HCM to do something meaningful....

PM me if anyone has something going on.

I have transportation and can also give anyone a ride there if needed.

Enrique

should work when im not out of town. i have to ask my relatives cause we want to go to countryside next weekend instead of this one>.< so actually i was free today but already have appointments.

Hi Lindsay,

Welcome to Vietnam. I wonder where about in Vietnam you are visiting?

Just send me a message if you arrive in Ho Chi Minh City. I'll introduce you some organisations to help  those less fortune.

Thanks

Kathy

Hello, I am an Australian guy that wishes to visit HCMC in January or February 2014 and while there was wondering if its possible to to do some volunteer work or lend a hand to those less fortunate.....

I dont want to join up with any agency for a fixed term and also dont need accomodation as i see hotels are very cheap compared with what i have to pay here in Aust.

So if anyone has any suggestions i look forward to hearing back from you soon !!!

Also looking for any friend to hang out with while im there !!!

Thanks,

Lindsay.

Hi,

Sorry I made a mistake. Have you arrived in HCMC yet? Just let me know.

Thanks

Kathy