How do you feel Mauritius markets itself locally?

Why is it so difficult to obtain any information from hotels? With the exception of a few I am finding it increasingly frustrating to obtain info regarding resident rates for overnight stay/day use.

Am I being naive in thinking that this is the way to do business and to keep the flagging tourist industry going it may be an idea to encourage residents to come and stay?

If anyone on here in the hotel industry could answer these questions I'd be grateful. Other expats experiences also appreciated!!!

Hey Gurj, I'm not sure how you tried to get these info. But I usually ring the reception, who directs me to the reservation and I get all the details I need off them in a matter of minutes.

I seem to have to answer about 20 questions first - like what nationality I am, where exactly do I live... the list goes on! It's as if they are screening me before they part with any info :D

Hi Gurj and Dompriya

Almost all hotels around here do offer resident rates, except to some of them. If you found and advert of local offer you can definitely enjoy.

However if you calling them for more info, at times you need to have patience as the reservation lines are most of the time busy, depend on hotel and number of reservation staff they have.

Having the details of guest of future guest is part of the business. Some are straight forward and some are not. But about 20 questions… that's a bit too much.

If you planning to spend New Year eve in a hotel, don't be surprise to find it difficult to get rooms.