Is it possible to find a job in thailand when you're a stranger

I would like living in thailand but is it possible and easy to find a job there ? I'm looking for account about people who were in the same situation as me, thanks for your participation.

Hi Juliac and welcome to Expat.com

You can either post an ad in Thai classifieds or check out the classifieds already posted there.

Or you can just "Google" with the job you'd like to find + Thailand and you'll find websites proposing such a job.

Best of luck to you.
Arlette

PS: Juliac il y a aussi le forum francophone ou anglophone pour la Thailande; voici le lien pour le forum Thailande francophone et pour voir le forum anglophone ensuite, il te suffit de cliquer sur le drapeau britannique en haut à droite de l'écran.

Amicalement

If you have a 4 year degree, you can teach English, jobs not hard to find, but not what you call a career, still very excellent jobs for a young person. You really need to get TESOL certification and take the TEFL training if you're serious and want a good job in Thailand as well as other foreign countries - about six weeks I think, about $1,000 US, check here (highly recommend Hang Dong / Chiang Mai):
http://www.specialthaiprojects.com/tefl_careers.shtml

You might be able to get teaching or other jobs w/o TEFL, but this is really the way to go. I retired in Chiang Mai 5 years ago at 57, could not get a decent job, but after 8 years magna cum laude univ work in math/chem/biology with 3 years advanced research, my only typical opportunity in the states was $5-$10 / hour sweatshop labor, usually turning out to be something like a cocaine racket. My career was a series of jumps avoiding large scale fraud, murders, sexual assaults, one child rape, perps usually in the system and beyond touch. I so wish I'd moved out of the country decades ago, and I'm very happy in Thailand. I don't really want to work, just enjoy this beautiful country, but would move anywhere before going back to the states.

Juliac. I was looking for positions within the IT field in several companies. What I did learn is that it's very, very hard for non-nationals, and even more if they don't speak Thai (for local companies) and even in that case you will be really fortunate if you get a real salary (around 50K bahts/month). Most jobs are "only for nationals".

If you are looking for a real position here in this field, you need to get an expat package within a multinational company and, for Thailand, there is a lot of competition (seems to be the desired destination in SE Asia).

So I ended up being a freelance (for the first time in my career) getting my clients in Europe.

HTH,
Juan

Juan, could you please stop posting links to your forum in all your messages ? Are we doing the same thing on your forum ?

@julien: You mean Cusanus, no? Juan didnt post any link, as far as I can see.

@Juliac: As I have adviced before, back in your country there are sometime to sometime conventions of embassies. Going to those will give you contacts. It might not be the ones you desire, but they might know other company's from your country that have an office/s in Thailand.

This way, if you dont want to be a teacher or want to learn thai, you have the option to follow your current career path in a "friendly" or "known" company from your country.

That is only if to the people in the convention see that you are a "catch" or you are friendly enough to either give you a position or reveal to you a contact living in Thailand.

Just make sure you take to those conventions your business card and resume.

Another way around it, contact your country's embassy in Thailand and ask if they need an accountant. :)

Hope it helps.

Juliac wrote:

I would like living in thailand but is it possible and easy to find a job there ? I'm looking for account about people who were in the same situation as me, thanks for your participation.

Thailand is not just the best place on earth to expat in;its HEAVEN - but only if you don't need to work for a living.  Been here 9 years, been in several other countries prior to this, but this is the ultimate.

Other than arranging a "multinational" job in advance, working here is not recommended.