Living in Puerto Rico

As a Canadian, how much of a year can I live in Puerto Rico?
This is important as I plan on buying a house.

The same rues as for the USA apply. Unless Canadians can stay longer than other foreigners, three months is the limit without a visa / green card.

Thanks......I thought so, but w/ all the Canadians going South for the winter, they must have visas. Is property ownership for Canadians possible or would it be best to contact the PR/USA governments?

john8253 wrote:

Is property ownership for Canadians possible or would it be best to contact the PR/USA governments?

I would do the latter before you spend a penny on real estate. I think you could own a house here, but I'm not sure.

This may sound likje a ridiculous question, but I had been assuming that as an American citizen, I would not need any visa or green card to live permanently in PR. What is the deal with this? Do I have to leave the country every 6 months or something to renew my visa? Thanks.

Also, can anyone tell me where some of the CHEAPEST apartments would be to begin living in PR? I am looking around the price range of $400 (USD) per month. Any help is much appreciated. Any city seems fine at this stage to me, but prefferably the bigger the city, the better.

Jayme wrote:

This may sound likje a ridiculous question, but I had been assuming that as an American citizen, I would not need any visa or green card to live permanently in PR. What is the deal with this? Do I have to leave the country every 6 months or something to renew my visa? Thanks.

Since PR is a US territory, you don't need a visa - you don't even need a passport. :)

Jayme wrote:

Also, can anyone tell me where some of the CHEAPEST apartments would be to begin living in PR? I am looking around the price range of $400 (USD) per month. Any help is much appreciated. Any city seems fine at this stage to me, but prefferably the bigger the city, the better.

The bigger the city, the higher the rent.
Check out http://clasificadosonline.com. Thousands of places for rent, all over the island.

Jayme wrote:

Hi Jayme,

Welcome to Expat.com!

Did you already check Accommodation in Puerto Rico? You can also place an ad yourself in the Classifieds!

Good luck
Arlette

Thanks Gary and Arlette for your quick replies! This forum will help me tremendously with the short time frame that I am thinking about making a move in.

I will certainly check out the links you gave.

Muchos Gracias!