Health Insurance in the DR

Today when I was getting onto this site I noticed an advertisement for Cigna Health Insurance.  While a laudable concept, I have to point out that it is less interesting than one might think.  Health insurance in the Dominican Republic is only as good as the clinic or doctor who takes it.

Even some of the best hospitals and doctors will not take some insurance because the time between provision of service and payment is very long.  That, coupled with the fact that record keeping here suitable for submitting a new claim is...well...dicey at best, should make you think long and hard about the viability of any policy.

At least this has been my experience here.  I insure myself and my wife but in the US, my daughter has insurance here...which is Humana and very difficult to get someone to accept and my 20+ employees have the government stuff. 

What experiences have others had with health insurance acceptance here in the DR?

HI Jason,  thanks for your post. I am going to ask the moderators to append this to our other Health Insurance thread.

Yes, insurance is only as good as the doctors accepting it.  You say your daughter is with Humana.  So, is that a typo or did you mean Humano?  They are 2 different companies.

I run a medical insurance group package thru  Humano and  have no issues with acceptance. As one of the two biggest in the DR we have wide acceptance. The other big one is Universal and they are equally as well accepted.

If I can give you any more info on any of this, just ask.

Greetings Planner. Does Humano and Universal cover you on a long stay vacation, meaning as a non residencia visitor? Planning on staying about a year or so, will they cover me? 47 year old healthy male? Thanks.

Yes we can cover you with just a copy of your passport, you do not need residencia to be covered.

Thanks for the prompt response :-)

You are very welcome.

my wife are planning to retire in a few yrs to sosua area, what would it cost for health insurance with your package, ty
Rick and Ann

We live the Sosua area and pay $1920RD ($44.26 US) a month for the two of us for full coverage and dental (not including prescriptions)

Bob K

that sounds more than reasonable, gonna be a few yrs b4 we need it, maybe a good idea to buy early in case our ages later makes a difference, which company? we will be there in august.

ty

I would wait and buy it when you need it. As long as you are under 65 when you apply you will not have a problem
Bob K

Insurance always needs to be purchased before you need it.....You wait too long you don't qualify.

Look into your options, don't wait till the last minute. There are 2 major suppliers and various options on plans.

However Goldwing does not need it for 4 years.  This would be a bit early for him as insurance is only good here in the DR and he won't be here for quite a bit.  I would wait until your plans for moving are in place and you are ready to make the move.  Then a few months before get your insurance. Just make sure you are not 65 yet when you apply

Bob K

Does that mean that we can apply for our health insurance before we leave Canada? 

We are planning to be there in October, but will be coming down a couple of times before then to settle details on construction.  We are planning to have health coverage under a local plan in the DR.  For the time being we are also planning to also keep our local health care in Canada so that we do not need to buy a lot of international travel insurance when going  back and forth.

Sounds like you have it figured out.
Let us know if you need any other information.

Bob K

Exactly,  buy it a bit before you move here. I am working with one company to try to get a plan that will allow you as an expat to purchase say 6 or 7 months of the year and go on hiatus for a few month of hte year,  solving the requalify hassle.   I will keep everyone update on this.

Hello! We are coming from Florida with a family of four in about six weeks to secure an apartment in Santiago. We will be staying only two weeks, but returning to stay full time within a couple months after that. Is it too soon to start shopping health insurance plans? I like the idea of skipping the travel insurance. I am very interested in knowing the premium in advance, as well. Is this what you do for a living, Planner?

planner wrote:

Insurance always needs to be purchased before you need it.....You wait too long you don't qualify.

Look into your options, don't wait till the last minute. There are 2 major suppliers and various options on plans.

ty for the reply.  what are the 2 suppliers, and how do I get quotes?

Rick

I work with Humano. policies include prescriptions and dental. One is 1550rd the other is 2050 a month.

We are with a group in Universal and premium is going to $1580 RD a month per person with out pharmacy.

Bob K

Planner do you have to have residencia to apply for Humano? If I'm staying for 8 months or so could I still apply? Thanks.

All you need is ID  to apply, so yes a passport works fine.  8 months,  yup you will want insurance.

Remember that the health insurance here ONLY covers you in the DR.  So if you go back to the US for treatment or to see a doctor you will not be covered at all.

We maintain our international insurance as well as the insurance here in the DR just for that reason.  We had been taking a short vacation back in the US a few years back and I got hit by a SUV while riding a bicycle.  The cost of my injury, surgery and rehab was over $125,000.  If I had only my DR insurance I would have been covered for NOTHING.  My international insurance paid everything.

Bob K

Good  points Bob!!!!  I only have DR insurance as I really do not travel much.  That could change.....!

New job with travel....sounds good to me

Bob K

Could be honey.....lol

Thanks planner and Bob for the info, but a question to you Bob. If you did not have the international insurance, but had purchased travel insurance on that visit, would it have been the same? Could I just pay my NYC Insure while I'm in DR or is the international insurance the best way to go? Thanks.

I have never had travel insurance.

If you have a non government US insurance they should cover your travel.  However with some you will have to pay your bill and then submit them for reimbursement.  We have done this before but have had to lay out $$$ and got most of it back.

For long term stays here and planning on going back to the US or elsewhere I would get the international insurance. If you are going to be here full time then the DR insurance is fine (This is what Planner does I believe).  It kind of depends on your personal situation.  Again we have both the local DR insurance and an international policy.

In fact the international insurance just renewed me for 3 more years (till age 68) so I will not have to hassle with Medicare other than to sign up for the free portion.  NO part B<C<D and so on for me just yet.

Bob K

That is correct Bob, I only have local insurance. I've not left island in years, no reason to.... :)

That is what I thought.  Just so you know I am freezing my ass off here in New Jersey and can't wait to get back home next Saturday

Bob K

Damn that is not fun Bob.  I am in Puerto Plata dealing with customs and Aduanas. it was "cold" on the Malecon last night....

Gypsy - you should have no issues getting your bike into the country. make sure to have your original receipt available. You will pay ITBIS but no duty.

even if it comes in in a local's container?  (my nephew's wife's)

is it his container he is allowed when returning to the country? if so should be tax free

it is , thanks.     what  about insurance for some one in their 70's, fit & healthy, no existing problems??   also are there some ex-pats who are living on less tham 1,000 per month?  I did for 8 years. I know prices & taxes are higher now.   I'll be down in the spring for a couple of months . will need a base to scout for a large house or a building site in Cabrera.   any one know of any possibe places?

There is nothing available at that age, sorry.

No insurance at that age. Are you covered by medicare in the US?

Bob K

yes, I have medicare & medicaid.

Then you will have to pay out of pocket here for medical care and if you need anything major done get to Puerto Rico or The mainland.

Medicare/Medicaid is not accepted here .... yet.

Bob K

Hello, Bob. I am interested in the international health insurance. Would you mind telling me the name of your provider? We are moving over soon, but will go back and forth 2-3 times a year with the whole family. Health insurance in the US is about $1000 per month for our family. We are really hoping to leave that expense behind when we relocate! I have been told the "best" health insurance for a family of four will likely cost us about $2000 per YEAR. Does that sound about right?

First off international insurance will restrict how much time you can spend back in your home country (US) per year so this may be a problem.

It is also expensive but not as bad as the US.  We pay about $7000 a year (less than $600 a month) which is about 1/2 of what we would spend in the US for the two of us.  So for the four of you probably in excess of $14000 a year or about $1200 a month.

For $2000 a year you could pick up Dominican insurance that will cover you fully here but not provide any coverage anywhere but the Dominican Republic.

So you need to decide what is best for you and your family.

Bob K

Thanks for your speedy reply. That is very helpful. I am remembering the travel policy I carried last trip over had an option that was the reverse of the one I purchased...for citizens living abroad, I believe,  needing temporary coverage...More expensive, but short term policies available. I will share any helpful info I find. Thanks again!