Seeking Opportunities

Hey fellow mates,

Hope you all doing good.

Well i am a little stressed and nervous now, as i had come to KL in search of opportunities. I belong to the Advertising breed and though would find some dogs like me here ( in a good way )

I am seeking information if any one can refer me here, if you have any friends or ex-colleagues of your working in Marketing communication / Advertising / client servicing roles in Malaysia.

I would love to talk to them and understand if i fit the bill here. Sadly i will be here for more a week and would like to make the most of it.

Any help of yours will be appreciated. Thanks a ton!

Afzal
mhd dot afzal at gmail dot com

I have an extremely comprehensive list of current Oil and Gas Projects in Malaysia some may have reqauiremens for Communications personnel. It consists of addresses, webites, email contacts, telephone numbers etc.
Thing is it is about 10mb so I don't want to be wasting my time and yours uploading it?if it is no good to you.
Regards
Joe

Hi bro
Do not be disappointed
always have good faith
do not cal dogs,

Have good luck

Anything would help Joe. I am in Communication business itself. It would be good if you can share by drop box or so.

I am extremely sorry if its misunderstood. i haven't called any body dog here. Its just in a funny way.

Hi Afzal,

Your thread has been moved to the Kuala Lumpur forum for better views and interaction.

Please feel free to post an advert in the Marketing, PR and advertising jobs in Kuala Lumpur section, this might be helpful. Thank you! :)

Regards,

David.

Expat-blog team.

Hey David - Thank you so much for your guidance. I am gonna copy past the same message there :P

Regards,
Afzal

Hi as I always say never move to Malaysia looking for a job. Best you cut your losses as you are in an area that is normally a local job. Foreigners are employed in communication but always as either an expert brought on by big companies like Carlsberg or are married to a Malaysian. There are fields in which expats are in demand and a job is possible after arrival (but often on a lower salary)but marketing is hardly one of them. You have to be worth more than the 5k min salary and unless you have some outstanding experience chances are minimal.

Try the UAE where jobs are far easier to get. Or even Singapore although they have gone all anti immigrant recently due to local unemployment.

Totally agree with you Nemodot. I have tried Singapore, but there are few visa issues which the consultants has got back  to me. They are suggesting to apply for some kind of visa which will help searching for job ( Not sure of that, need to research a little ).

Do you know any consulting agencies which you can suggest or have experienced?( just asking, incase if you know).

Thanks a ton,

Afzal

I am quite surprised reading @Nemodot's response about job prospect for expats in Malaysia. Is it really that gloomy?

@mhd.afzal, I suggest you take up @Joe Writeson's offer - I am in the Oil and Gas business, and I know for a fact that the PR folks are a cool bunch.

Hey Modjo

Been here from past 2 weeks now, i some what started believing Nemodots comments now. I have been to interview's and the only reason i got, for not getting selected is that i don't have malasyian nationality. I also came across an incident that it was asked to work for very less ( i mean very very less ) for few months, (don't know what that means). I am not saying that's wrong, but surely that's an advantage taken.

Let me know if you can refer me here or UAE also will work out.

Thanks,
Afzal

mhd.afzal wrote:

Anything would help Joe. I am in Communication business itself. It would be good if you can share by drop box or so.

I am extremely sorry if its misunderstood. i haven't called any body dog here. Its just in a funny way.

Me and dropbox have a not very good relationship....I hate it it hates me...email me at [email protected] I'll send it to you..

Good Luck

Hi @mhd.afzal, it dawned on me that I have very little understanding about job prospects for expats in Malaysia - maybe because I've just started to work abroad a few months back myself.

I think it's based on industry demand versus the supply they can get locally (armies of eager fresh grads!), exactly like what @Nemodot said earlier. Having traveled a lot working abroad yourself @Nemodot, which line of work do you see most commonly employ expats in Malaysia?