Why we keep getting moderated.

After doing my "Testing Thread", I wondered why we are often moderated and I came to the conclusion that Expat-Blog (this website) is running out of server space and is looking at having to increase their expenses by buying new computer servers. 

Here are a few thoughts that I toiled in my head to come up with my conclusion.

1.  Why did Julien emphasize that it's "really important" for us to "please stop quoting 10 lines messages for a 1 line reply?

Quoting unnecessarily increases the file size of each reply post.  If a quoted post = 100kb, and you just added 10kb of reply, when you quoted the old post + your reply, then post = 110kb.  It adds up.

2.  Why are we constantly reminded to stay on topic?  As Armand stated "Please note that the off topic posts have been removed from the thread and the same treatment will be given to any post that doesn't respect the original poster's topic." Because going off-topic is like rambling...it increases files stored on the server.

3.  Why are our posts often deleted?  Like junk/stuff that doesn't belong on a computer, it needs to be deleted to make room (By "moved", Christine just means they're archived on back-up tape, which "is accessible only for moderator"). 

4.  Why are our threads often closed due to "Everything has already been said and everybody has already given their point of view on the subject" or "This thread is now closed as it is not sharing any useful information to other members.".  Because long threads create many files.  Venting/Blabbing threads with multiple reply posts create many files.  The sugar thread had 124 replies.  Keeping a subject perpetually going makes the file sizes bigger and bigger. 

So imagine all these small files across the ENTIRE Expat-BLOG website.  The Việt Nam Forum is just one out of many in ASIA, which is only one out of several other continents/regions.  Okay..let me count them...
http://realmoscow.me/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/exp-bl.jpgAsia = 30 forums
Europe = 51
North America = 5
South American = 14
Oceania = 20
Central American = 30
Middle East = 17
Africa = 56

so we're looking at 223 Forums.  BUT, that's only English.  If you multiply that by 5 (English, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese), we're looking at 1,115 Forums in the Expat-Blog world.  Granted some forums are more heavily trafficked than others and a computer server can handle multiple forums on one machine, but it gives you a sense of how 1 rambling post, multiplied by thousands of posters, can cause a server space shortage.

The "Anwser recommended by the community" combined with wjwoodward's response of "unfortunately many of our members don't take the time to recommend postings or don't understand the "RECOMMEND" button." got me into thinking of how we're suppose to use the Expat-Blog.

It's designed as a simple "How do I extend my Visa?" -Expat 1, "Go to xyz street and pay ### dollars" - Expat 2, Q&A Forum.  It's not designed like Fartbook!  It's not designed for us to hang out, socialize, joke and play with each other!  It's designed for us to come on, ask a question, browse the ads in the classifieds or banner ads while we wait for the answer, then we go on our own ways.  That's why when a person starts a thread asking a question "How do I extend my Visa?", several people are suppose to give answers, and people simply pick one that is the best answer and use the recommend button.  We're not suppose to blab about our medical problems or relationship issues, or anything not related to the question (hence the many off-topic reminders).  Once a thread gets the "Anwser recommended by the community", it's done.

So, how's my investigative assessment - Expat-Blog is managing server space?  One server by the way can cost anywhere from $2,000 to $20,000.

Tran Hung Dao > I would appreciate if you could post in the "help us to improve the website forum" as this topic has nothing to see with Vietnam (same thing for your "testing thread")

I will now try to explain everything, little by little, in my next post

Julien wrote:

Tran Hung Dao > I would appreciate if you could post in the "help us to improve the website forum" as this topic has nothing to see with Vietnam (same thing for your "testing thread")

I will now try to explain everything, little by little, in my next post

Oh, you have a forum just for that.  Awesome.

1.  Why did Julien emphasize that it's "really important" for us to "please stop quoting 10 lines messages for a 1 line reply?

Nothing to see with the server space.

I'm sure you know about the Netiquette ? Well, just to let you know, I discovered / started using the Internet in 96 - became a web professional in 98, and I always paid a real attention to the netiquette.

One of the rules of the netiquette is to avoid quoting long posts just for adding a one line comment. That's why I posted the other day.

2.  Why are we constantly reminded to stay on topic?

Same reason : netiquette. We must respect the member who started the thread by sticking to the topic he created

3.  Why are our posts often deleted?

As explained by Christine, we technically don't delete anything. We keep your posts on a private forum, so we keep an history of all your posts and of all the reports we got for every user. This way any mod can understand what happened with a specific member.

This said, when a post is moderated, it's often because it doesn't respect of code of conduct or our terms and conditions, which should be clear for everyone.

4.  Why are our threads often closed due to "Everything has already been said"

Once again, netiquette and common forum use. It's often better closing a thread before it gets off topic. It's been like that on every serious forum for years, we didn't invent anything ;)

I'll add that we manage a little bit more than 1,115 forums. There's more than 3,500+ forums on EB ;)

You'll find plenty of information about the netiquette on the web.

Maybe a good ol' IETC RFC could be a good start http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855

I know, it's long and old style. But you'll find interesting stuff such as :

- Read all of a discussion in progress (we call this a thread) before posting replies.  Avoid posting "Me Too" messages, where content is limited to agreement with previous posts.
Content of a follow-up post should exceed quoted content.

you'll find plenty of info regarding being off topic too ...

THD,

I have gotten to hand it to you, man...  :thanks: 

When I open my debt collection business, I will sure look you up.  Those deadbeats will have very little room to hide now...

Until then, keep up the good work!  And haunt Julien some more!  :lol:

I've been on many other forums and I'd say Expat.com is the best.

Most forums are plague with spams and members getting into heated arguments that it takes away from the overall goal of the forum which is to present helpful information for expats whether they are in the country or thinking of becoming one.

Kudos to the mods for keeping the forum sane and not cluttered with unnecessary information.

Expat.com is the best.

Shut up, Khanh!!!  :dumbom:  Julien is lurking.  Want him to ban you?  :idontagree:

man if I was living in Vung Tau I would be at the beach all day everyday.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

It's not designed for us to hang out, socialize, joke and play with each other!  It's designed for us to come on, ask a question, browse the ads in the classifieds or banner ads while we wait for the answer, then we go on our own ways.  That's why when a person starts a thread asking a question "How do I extend my Visa?", several people are suppose to give answers, and people simply pick one that is the best answer and use the recommend button.  We're not suppose to blab about our medical problems or relationship issues, or anything not related to the question (hence the many off-topic reminders).

Three years ago, the first time I posted here trying to find out about a "Reputable computer repair shop in HCMC", Ex-pat Blog was almost exactly as you describe above, and I thought it was GREAT! Now, unfortunately, you're right that it has turned into a somewhat useless social networking site, and I fault the moderators (for allowing it) and all the locals who start(ed) threads such as "I wanna make some friends", "I'm bored - anybody wanna hang out?", "Hey let's meet for coffee somewhere", and my favorite, "I wanna learn English, do you wanna learn Vietnamese?". And again, this is the fault of the moderators for allowing this to happen over time. Are you reading this moderators? I'll be among the first to admit that I post some useless stuff here as well, but it's usually just in keeping with all the other stuff (entertainment) that this website has become. Maybe part of the reason so much social networking has taken place here is that Facebook IS STILL blocked by many ISPs here (mine at home still has it blocked, but I have a workaround on my computer to access it and THAT INFORMATION WAS OBTAINED RIGHT HERE ON Expat.com!) So Julien needs to decide what will be the direction of this blog going forward, and train his moderators to enforce it as such. I will gladly go along with whatever they decide.

saigonmonkey wrote:
Tran Hung Dao wrote:

It's not designed for us to hang out, socialize, joke and play with each other!  It's designed for us to come on, ask a question, browse the ads in the classifieds or banner ads while we wait for the answer, then we go on our own ways.  That's why when a person starts a thread asking a question "How do I extend my Visa?", several people are suppose to give answers, and people simply pick one that is the best answer and use the recommend button.  We're not suppose to blab about our medical problems or relationship issues, or anything not related to the question (hence the many off-topic reminders).

Three years ago, the first time I posted here trying to find out about a "Reputable computer repair shop in HCMC", Ex-pat Blog was almost exactly as you describe above, and I thought it was GREAT! Now, unfortunately, you're right that it has turned into a somewhat useless social networking site, and I fault the moderators (for allowing it) and all the locals who start(ed) threads such as "I wanna make some friends", "I'm bored - anybody wanna hang out?", "Hey let's meet for coffee somewhere", and my favorite, "I wanna learn English, do you wanna learn Vietnamese?". And again, this is the fault of the moderators for allowing this to happen over time. Are you reading this moderators? I'll be among the first to admit that I post some useless stuff here as well, but it's usually just in keeping with all the other stuff (entertainment) that this website has become. Maybe part of the reason so much social networking has taken place here is that Facebook IS STILL blocked by many ISPs here (mine at home still has it blocked, but I have a workaround on my computer to access it and THAT INFORMATION WAS OBTAINED RIGHT HERE ON Expat.com!) So Julien needs to decide what will be the direction of this blog going forward, and train his moderators to enforce it as such. I will gladly go along with whatever they decide.

Amen!!!!!!

I agree with cracking down on untrimed threads.  Quote six levels of posts to add one line and a smiley is rude, period.  However.

On any forum where moderators start deleting posts willy-nilly, people leave.  In droves.  Nobody wants to put much effort into a post knowing that a moderator may delete it for capricious, unpredictable reasons.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

After doing my "Testing Thread", I wondered why we are often moderated and I came to the conclusion that Expat-Blog (this website) is running out of server space and is looking at having to increase their expenses by buying new computer servers. 

Here are a few thoughts that I toiled in my head to come up with my conclusion.

Quoting unnecessarily increases the file size of each reply post.  If a quoted post = 100kb, and you just added 10kb of reply, when you quoted the old post + your reply, then post = 110kb.  It adds up.

2.  Why are we constantly reminded to stay on topic?  As Armand stated "Please note that the off topic posts have been removed from the thread and the same treatment will be given to any post that doesn't respect the original poster's topic." Because going off-topic is like rambling...it increases files stored on the server.

3.  Why are our posts often deleted?  Like junk/stuff that doesn't belong on a computer, it needs to be deleted to make room (By "moved", Christine just means they're archived on back-up tape, which "is accessible only for moderator"). 

4.  Why are our threads often closed due to "Everything has already been said and everybody has already given their point of view on the subject" or "This thread is now closed as it is not sharing any useful information to other members.".  Because long threads create many files.  Venting/Blabbing threads with multiple reply posts create many files.  The sugar thread had 124 replies.  Keeping a subject perpetually going makes the file sizes bigger and bigger. 

So imagine all these small files across the ENTIRE Expat-BLOG website.  The Việt Nam Forum is just one out of many in ASIA, which is only one out of several other continents/regions.  Okay..let me count them...
[img align=R]http://realmoscow.me/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/exp-bl.jpg[/url]Asia = 30 forums
Europe = 51
North America = 5
South American = 14
Oceania = 20
Central American = 30
Middle East = 17
Africa = 56

so we're looking at 223 Forums.  BUT, that's only English.  If you multiply that by 5 (English, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese), we're looking at 1,115 Forums in the Expat-Blog world.  Granted some forums are more heavily trafficked than others and a computer server can handle multiple forums on one machine, but it gives you a sense of how 1 rambling post, multiplied by thousands of posters, can cause a server space shortage.

The "Anwser recommended by the community" combined with wjwoodward's response of "unfortunately many of our members don't take the time to recommend postings or don't understand the "RECOMMEND" button." got me into thinking of how we're suppose to use the Expat-Blog.

It's designed as a simple "How do I extend my Visa?" -Expat 1, "Go to xyz street and pay ### dollars" - Expat 2, Q&A Forum.  It's not designed like Fartbook!  It's not designed for us to hang out, socialize, joke and play with each other!  It's designed for us to come on, ask a question, browse the ads in the classifieds or banner ads while we wait for the answer, then we go on our own ways.  That's why when a person starts a thread asking a question "How do I extend my Visa?", several people are suppose to give answers, and people simply pick one that is the best answer and use the recommend button.  We're not suppose to blab about our medical problems or relationship issues, or anything not related to the question (hence the many off-topic reminders).  Once a thread gets the "Anwser recommended by the community", it's done.

So, how's my investigative assessment - Expat-Blog is managing server space?  One server by the way can cost anywhere from $2,000 to $20,000.

Ok

I've been on here a year but inactive most of that time. 

A few observations:

(1) the nominal purpose of this forum, talking about our experiences, leads to hostile responses.  Anyone who mentions difficulty is adaptation e.g. The language, cultural awkwardness, is likely to get savaged with snide stuff from a few people who've taken it on themselves to set the tone.  "Don't like it here?  Go home."  I've seen this a lot.  If only praise and sunshine is allowed, change it to Happily-Adjusted Expat forum

(2) there is a clique of long-timers on here who engage in perky banter with each other and mockery of everyone else.  They freely lob insults and then say it's just good clean fun.  It isn't.

(3) requests for contact, meeting friends, help with the language, are a lot more germane than anything else here except visa questions.

A 2 terabyte hard drive is under $100.  Any PC can act as a server.  This isn't Facebook, this blog could run from one box.  It would take ages to fill up since there are only a few pictures and mostly text, no video. 

I'd turn off images, they rarely add much.  Then 2 TB will last until the sun leaves the main sequence.

Ahhhhh, a few observations:

1) Some people are very sensitive about comments....

2) Most comments are just an opinion.

3) Some opinions can be humerous by some and taken as being mean by others..

4) Regardless of agreement or not, we can learn a lot from each other about our experiences in Vietnam.

ChrisFox wrote:

I've been on here a year but inactive most of that time. 

A few observations:

(1) the nominal purpose of this forum, talking about our experiences, leads to hostile responses.  Anyone who mentions difficulty is adaptation e.g. The language, cultural awkwardness, is likely to get savaged with snide stuff from a few people who've taken it on themselves to set the tone.  "Don't like it here?  Go home."  I've seen this a lot.  If only praise and sunshine is allowed, change it to Happily-Adjusted Expat forum

(2) there is a clique of long-timers on here who engage in perky banter with each other and mockery of everyone else.  They freely lob insults and then say it's just good clean fun.  It isn't.

(3) requests for contact, meeting friends, help with the language, are a lot more germane than anything else here except visa questions.

Well at least this site is better than 'Saigon ESL'.That was a whole slab of unmoderated slander.
And 'Daves esl Vietnam forum' is principally entitled Americans going on about how teachers without a Master's degree,
work permit,residency card or full time contract at an upper level school or Uni's are just backpacking,ex taxi drivers who don't deserve the ice from their lunchtime 'Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf' decaf skim milk Laotian blend mocha frappuchino wit a twist of lemon.

ancientpathos wrote:

Ahhhhh, a few observations:

1) Some people are very sensitive about comments....

2) Most comments are just an opinion.

3) Some opinions can be humerous by some and taken as being mean by others..

4) Regardless of agreement or not, we can learn a lot from each other about our experiences in Vietnam.

(1) some people don't see the humor in being insulted

(2) hard to get "opinion" out of "go back to America if you don't like absolutely every last thing about living in Vietnam"

(3) Some are directly and unambiguously hostile.  I've had two friends join this thing and leave because of the responses they got.  I was attacked when I first showed up too.  Like I said, there are a few people behind most of this, people who mostly engage with each other and treat this blog as their personal social network

(4) that's what I come here for.  I've made friends here, some I hope to meet in person soon, one I met for the first time last night.  I'd like to make more friends here, I'm kind of isolated.  Letting a few people with attitudes drive newcomers away doesn't help that.

Probably the best thread and most well thought out that we have had in quite sometime, and sorry to say, most of it is true. Hope it gets better soon. Hope the moderators get trained soon and do some constructive policing. But we could help do some ourselves to nudge people back on topic, or direct them to the answer to the visa ? that has been answered since Christ was a corporal.

ChrisFox wrote:

(1) some people don't see the humor in being insulted

(2) hard to get "opinion" out of "go back to America if you don't like absolutely every last thing about living in Vietnam"

(3) Some are directly and unambiguously hostile.  I've had two friends join this thing and leave because of the responses they got.  I was attacked when I first showed up too.  Like I said, there are a few people behind most of this, people who mostly engage with each other and treat this blog as their personal social network

(4) that's what I come here for.  I've made friends here, some I hope to meet in person soon, one I met for the first time last night.  I'd like to make more friends here, I'm kind of isolated.  Letting a few people with attitudes drive newcomers away doesn't help that.

Sorry you feel that way. It appears that you are angry about something. Speaking for myself, my intention is never to harm anyone. The comment and photo of the hairy legs in a skirt was made towards me and  I laugh about it. From my own past experience I know that this type of communication can be taken the wrong way, then things tend to escalate. Once more information is shared we usually find out we were both wrong because we relied on only what was said in different posts. Just my 10000 dong worth....

I didn't take the hairy legs as an insult  nor would I.

I'm not talking about stuff like that, I'm talking about open, unmitigated hostility, calling others ugly names, newcomers worst of all.  I'm tired of talking about it. 

And it has nothing to do with how I feel.

Hi all,

Tran Hung Dao, what a research that was! It cracked me up a bit i have to admit :lol:
We close the thread now.
See you on "Help us to improve the website forum".

Armand

Closed