Driving license for an Indian

Hi All,

I'm look for good driving schools with English speaking instructor in Antwerp. Any recommendations?

Hello-

I have just passed the risk perception test in evere and now the final round of practical; please share some tips on the maneuvers, and normal request that comes from the instructor while giving the exams;

many many thanks

Hello Aneesh-

I just passed my risk test and now practical; Could you please share some tips while giving the practical;

many thanks

After clearing theory exam, you get a letter to apply for provisional license in your commune. That letter states you can apply for 18 months or 36 months. But if you already have a license from your home country do you still have to provide 20hrs certificate or you can just show this letter and get a provisional license in order to give the practical exam?

The exam centre told me to get a provisional license so that If I learn to drive I have a valid provisional license.

A provisional license that allows you to drive on your own, irrespective of if you have a license from your home country  or not, needs min 20 hours of classes and a certificate from the driving school that you get after the classes if your instructor assess you OK.

Oh ok. If I've driving license from my country then I can either take:

Provisional License: Theory certificate from driving school + 20hrs of classes affidavit

Permanent License: Practical exam cleared certificate from driving school (this with learning for 3-4 hrs of driving school & then clearing practical exam)

So I don't have to do anything with the theory certificate which I got if I'm going with 2nd option above.. correct?

Doing some more search, looks like I don't need 20hrs of classes before but need to do that after getting provisional license depending upon if I chose 18 months option.

————
Having passed the theory test, the new driver receives a certificate, which is given to their local authority. They will then be issued with a provisional driving licence (Permis de Conduire Provisoire, PCP/Voorlopig Rijbewijs, VRB), which is valid for either 18 or 36 months, depending on the type of training chosen.

Provisional licences come in four types, and are issued according to age and how the driver is being taught:

The 18-month PCP/VRB is for those taking lessons with a driving school
The 36-month PCP/VRB is for those who choose to learn accompanied by an adult (who must have held a valid category B licence for at least eight years)
The validity period of the provisional licence also depends on the type of licence, and the learner may have anything from three to eighteen months to take the practical test.
————
Source: https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/belgiu … iving-test

Did anybody do first-aid training from Red Cross for driving license? If yes, where can you register for it?

Hi

Can you please send me the number of the person, you quoted for the Driving classes and test examination?

Hello Everyone,

I have a non-EU permanent driver's license (Indian) valid till 2027. I am aware that I cannot exchange my driver's license in Belgium. I am not required to follow courses and I can do the practical exam immediately WITHOUT TAKING THE PROVISIONAL.

My situation is -

1. I have passed the theory examination in first attempt.
2. I plan to take 10 hrs of driving lessons and then appear for practical exams.

How many attempts do I have for the practical exams if I do not have a provisional license ? I did not find this information any where ?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Kr,
Roh.

Since you are a holder of a LMV license already (Light Motor Vehicle) from India, you can attempt the practical exam numerous times [cost of each exam being the only criterion =) ]

Cheers.

Hello Everyone,

Is there any place / website which helps me to book the practical exams with an english translator.

I tried calling in Aalst and Asse Mollem but it seems that they are not giving ank dates till end of Oct 2021.

Any other place in flanders where I can enroll for the examen ?

Thanks,
Ro.

Can you confirm this, so if you fail twice and have an Indian license, them you do not need to take 6 hours class to appear for the third time.

AkhilSah wrote:

Can you confirm this, so if you fail twice and have an Indian license, them you do not need to take 6 hours class to appear for the third time.

Final official confirmation can only be given to you by the legal authorities.

However, if you do have a valid Indian Driving License for LMV, then you are allowed to try the test multiple times even if you fail and do not have to take the 6 hours.

Cheers,
N

Rohit45 wrote:

Any other place in flanders where I can enroll for the examen ?

From what I am hearing from colleagues and friends who are also waiting to give exams, the driving centres are running in serious delay due to Covid and there is long waiting for tests everywhere in Belgium.

You can try Leuven, ofcourse, it might not be as easy as Asse for simplicity of the road during test.

Cheers,
N

Information collected from multiple places.

Belgian Driving License (Permis de conduire / rijbewijs).

https://mobilit.belgium.be/fr/circulati … ire_belges

Check if you can exchange your home country driving license to a Belgian one: https://mobilit.belgium.be/fr/circulati … _etrangers

Categories of Belgian Driving License
Category A3: Mopeds
</span>
</span>
Category A: motorcycles
Category B: Four-Wheelers (Cars)
Category G: Agricultural vehicles.

As most popular is B category, let us look at the key steps in the process.

Theory Test
Provisional License
Practical Test

</span>
All applicant must pass the theory test. Any resident in Belgium who is at least 17 years old is eligible to appear for the test. The test is conducted in NL or FR (or DE in German speaking part of Belgium). But certain centers in big cities conduct tests in English. They do this in certain days of the week and you must pre-book a slot. In these tests, there will be a sworn translator present in the room who will read out the questions translated to English and also the options in answers. Your time to answer starts only after this translated announcement.

The test has 50 questions out of you must get 41 right answers, in order to pass. There are certain questions (which you wont know upfront) that are marked as critical ones (serious offenses, etc). If you answer incorrectly, there is a negative mark of 5 for each of such questions. If you fail the theory test twice, you are obliged to attend 12 hours of theory lessons in a recognized driving school before you can attempt again.

How to prepare for the test:
- You can buy the official theory book (English version is not easy to find. You can check book stores like Waterstones or FNAC)
- You can use one of the online preparation websites (details below), pay for a few days to use their mock tests and audi-visual learning tools. Do as many mock exams as you can :)

Use your browser to auto-translate the websites if they are not in English.

Provisional License
When you pass your theory test, you get a pass-certificate from the test-center. After this, you can decide which type of provisional license you wish to get and proceed with further steps accordingly.Provisional License is valid for either 18 or 36 months, depending on the type you chose.

Provisional driving license without supervision (M18)
After you pass your theory exam, you register with a recognized driving school and follow 20 hours of driving lessons. If your instructor is convinced that you can drive/practise alone (without supervision), the driving school will give you a competence certificate. Note: In Wallonie after 20 hours mininum lessons from the driving school, an
evaluation will be done by the Exam Centrum like an actual driving test
(but evaluated liberally). The certificate of driving competence is
delivered by the exam centrum and not by the driving schools. (But, you can do lessons in Brussels region, get certificate of competence from driving school and this certificate is enough to get a M18 provisional DL in Wallonie.)
With this certificate of competence, you can apply for a M18 provisional DL in your local commune/townhall. You can drive without supervision but you cannot carry other passengers. You must also adhere to some other rules applicable while driving with a provisional DL. This DL is valid for 18 months. You may appear for practical exams any time during this period.

Provisional driving license with supervision (M36)
:
After you pass your theory exam, you can apply to your local commune/townhall for a M36 type provisional license. You can add two persons to this DL, as your supervisors or guides. These must be someone who had a Belgian DL for at least 8 years. You can drive/practice with at least one of these persons accompanying you. You can appear for practical test after at least 90 days from your theory exam.

There is a new type of provisional introduced now: https://mobilit.belgium.be/fr/circulati … orie_b_m12

Practical Exam: What is different if you have a valid Indian DL

Holding a valid Indian DL (which was issued before the date of your first entry to Belgium) gives you a bit of relaxation in the mandatory driving lesson requirement and waiting period requirement, in BRU and Wallonie. In Flanders, starting Sep/2021, this relaxation is removed.

Translator:

During
the risk perception and practical exam, you will need a translator. You
need to arrange one. There are many translators associated with test
centers.

Brussels & Wallonie Regions:
After you pass your theory test, you must complete a Red Cross Training which has two part:
1. A theoretical component sent electronically, You can watch/follow this on the internet from home.
2. A practical component lasting three hours, given in twenty-minute tranches.
RedCross training is only for Brussels, not needed for Wallonia

In order to avail the relaxation (for practical exam) of holding an Indian DL, some exam centers ask you to bring an equivalence certificate from the Embassy of India (basically a document which says Indian LMV DL = B category EU). Some centers ask to translate this document too. Embassy knows about this document and you can apply through normal channels to get one. For translation - contact any sworn translator in your area.

• You
    can do the test with
    his own vehicle, accompanied by a guide/mentor minimum 26 years of age
    and holder of a Belgian or European driving license for at-least 8
    years.
  • You can also do the test through your driving school (their car and instructor)
</span>

Practical Exam:
Part1:
Risk perception test, a computer-based test enabling you to measure
your ability to identify risk situations in differing traffic
conditions.
Part2: Driving on public roads. There are a few test routes, you may get assigned one of them. You will also be asked some basic technical questions before driving starts (like how to check tire pressure, how to see if a tire is worn-out, how to use windshield wipers, how to activate fog lamps, etc). It is also important that you know how to adjust the seat to a perfect driving position, adjust mirrors (rearview, side) before you start driving. Examiner sits beside you, and the translator/guide in the back seat. Examiner will tell you where to turn, and if not instructed to turn, you just drive (of course, as the rules allow). Be careful not to
enter prohibited roads like no-entry, restricted entry, only local residents, etc. They will not play any tricks (like saying to take a right where right is not allowed).

Flanders Region:

There is no relaxation of holding an Indian DL. You follow the regular process to obtain a drivers license.

At the day of exam, after registration, you will be asked to pick a number from 1-9, this is the maneuver you will be asked to perform, during your practical road driving test.

Step1: GOCA PERCEPTION OF RISK TEST
The
test is done in a private computer room with the examiner and your
translator. You will be given 2 example questions (Search YouTube for sample questions) to get used to the test, and then 4 videos will be played. After each video, you will be asked to
click what you saw. You have 15 seconds to select your answers and this starts after your translator is done translating the questions and options (there will be 4 options of answers per question). Each question may
have one or more correct answers. You get one point for a correct answer, and one negative
point for a wrong answer. Pass-score is 6 points. You
will not be told your results after this test to avoid any additional
stress before getting on the road for the practical test.

Step2: PRACTICAL DRIVING TEST
Your
examiner will explain the maneuvers you are expected to do depending on
the number you chose during registration. YouTube has some samples of these maneuvers. You will also be asked some basic technical questions like how to identify a worn-out tire, how to activate windshield wipers, heating, foglamps, all-lamps, blinkers, etc, how to adjust seat belt, how to position rearview mirrors and side mirrors.
</span>
Examiner
sits beside you, and the translator/guide in the back seat. Examiner
will tell you where to turn, and if not instructed to turn, you just
drive (of course, as the rules allow). B
e
careful not to
enter prohibited roads like no-entry, restricted entry, only local
residents, etc. They will not play any tricks (like saying to take a
right where right is not allowed).

Most Important Best practices / common errors in practical exam:
● Always turn your neck and look behind your shoulder in the side of your upcoming turn (or leaving a roundabout). (Turn your head around at every turn, to see the blindspots that your side mirrors miss). Do this intentionally. Use blinkers on every turn
● Driving too slow is also a fault. If it is a 50 km road, drive between 45-50.
● Be extra careful with pedestrians (dont think, I have the time to pass before he/she enters the road. The moment you detect and intention of a pedestrian to cross the road, stop. Start only after they fully have crossed the road).

Knowing the result + Getting your DL after Practical Exam:
After the road test, you will be asked to drive back to the exam center. Usually it is 30-45 minutes of driving. Some test routes have motorways in it. If you make a serious mistake anytime during the test, you will be asked to drive back directly to exam center. They will ask you to wait a few minutes to announce your result. If you pass, you will be given a pass-certificate. If you fail, you will be given results document explainig what mistakes made you fail. You can take the pass-certificate to your local townhall/commune and apply for a driving license (you may need a photo and certain fees). In Flanders, after you have obtain your  driving license B, you are obliged to follow an additional training called: Terugkommoment
The Terugkommoment is
a mandatory 4-hour training course that you must follow in the period after 6 months and within 9 months
from the issue date of your DL B. There is no test after this.

Here is the approximate cost of various stages in the whole process:
Theory Class: 100 - 180 Euro for 12 hrs class spread over 2 days
Test:
The test costs €15. and an additional €50 if you require translation (English exams).
Practical Lessons: Driving schools schedule lessons as a set of 2 hrs always (Each hour cost anywhere between 50 and 60 EUR. Some have packages - if you buy 20 hours at once, you get some discount).
Practical Exam: 43,00 €
Translator: 50 -100 Euro per session
Exam with driving school (2hrs) - 120 Euros, plus instructor fees.
</span>
Hello Aneesh,

Thank you for the above-detailed explanation about the driving license.

I have the below query about the Practical exam,
  • Is it true that if you have a valid Indian driving you can still give an exam in Brussels or Wallone region?
  • Do we need to still take a provisional license?
Thanks for the reply.

Regards

@aneesh in my case I have failed the practical exam twice and I hold the Indian driving license so to take the practical exam third time are the 6 hours practical  classes mandatory or I can skip it?

Can you please clarify because the driving school is saying that I have to undergo 6 hours class.

@aneesh in my case I have failed practical exam twice in Brussels ACT scharbaek and I am holding the Indian driving license to take the 3rd attempt are the 6 hours class mandatory or I can skip them?

The driving school people saying that I have to take 6 hours classes but you mentioned those will be waived off..can you please clarify?

@aneesh in my case I have failed practical exam twice in Brussels ACT scharbaek and I am holding the Indian driving license to take the 3rd attempt are the 6 hours class mandatory or I can skip them?
The driving school people saying that I have to take 6 hours classes but you mentioned those will be waived off..can you please clarify?
-@yashwanthk8

Not sure why you had to write your post twice, but if you have FAILED your test twice, then don't you think it would be wise to have the 6 hour class, you obviously need it.

Hello Guys,

Greeting of the day!

This is really a nice discussion here but I am looking at it in 2023 so I fear the info given here may be outdated.

I am going to Belgium with work permit and need to register at Town Hall within 8 days. I also have the IDP. I have some questions, anyone please help to answer:

What is the current process to get the provisional driving license and the local driving license?

For Provisional License, is it still Therory Exam > 20 hours of Classes (Desipte having Indian Driver License for 8 years) > Provisional License?

I have IDP, can I drive until I get my residence permit with it? (For the period between landing in Belgium to  the day when I will receive my residence permit)

Can someone living in Flanders go to Brussels for a driving test? I have a valid driving licence from my home country and in Brussels i can directly go for practical exam vs in Flanders i have to take 20hours for classes and wait 3 months to appear in practical exam.

@hssn601

If you have already obtained a provisional driving License- for example M18 or M36, then it is possible to "criss-cross regions" (Either Brussels or Wallonia) to take the practical exam (with your valid home country's drivers license) thereby slicing off the wait period applicable in Flanders (which is now 5 months from March), However, if you have not obtained any provisional driving License yet... then that "regional criss-cross" for a driving test, may be just an impossible "Mission-Impossible".

So after taking provisional license need to book practical exam in Brussels or Wallonia region?