Like to meet others in CT

I've met several people through this blog who live in or visit my city.  Would like to meet others, too, either other expats or Vietnamese.  I'm learning Vietnamese, now intermediate level, also speak German and can get around in Spanish.  Interested in books, dining out, health, science, music (classical and ambient especially), politics (left-leaning).

Animal-lover, have cats, parrots, and a dog.

Have you been to Tiny Corner cafe? When I'm in Can Tho I stay at Ly Tu Trong street and never knew about this cafe that is on the same street. Evidently it's some sort of English club.

khanh44 wrote:

Have you been to Tiny Corner cafe? When I'm in Can Tho I stay at Ly Tu Trong street and never knew about this cafe that is on the same street. Evidently it's some sort of English club.

If that is by the waterfront then I have heard of it and been told that it's mostly VN war vets an not particularly open to others, but I should check it out.  Thanks.

BTW I play guitar too.  Mostly classical but I can do a lot of older rock, we should meet sometime

khanh44 wrote:

Not at all what I thought.  Looks interesting.  Maybe I'll bring my guitar a and play  "Mood for a Day."

Chris,

Ecuador is looking like a hopping place for me.  I am reviving my Spanish now.  Maybe, when I get back, you can help me with it, yeah?

Khanh,

I live on Ly Tu Trong, right across from the park.  But, I have never heard of that Tiny Corner place...  Where exactly is it? 

Anyway, you have gotten to look me up, when you get to Can Tho, man.

Hey guys,

Unfortunately the only time I went to Tiny's Corner it was closed for cleaning. It is hidden down an alley way off Ly Tu Trong Street, not easy to find. My German friend has been a few times and said he had great fun chatting to both ex-pats and local Vietnamese. Hope to join you all for a coffee or beer some day!

My husband is in Can Tho quite often. He makes ambient music as a hobby (when he rarely has free time) I'll pass it along there is a fellow fan lurking there. ;) What kind of dog do you have? We've been trying to get our dog and rabbit over here, been missing them like crazy!

milkybunnyHCM wrote:

My husband is in Can Tho quite often. He makes ambient music as a hobby (when he rarely has free time) I'll pass it along there is a fellow fan lurking there. ;) What kind of dog do you have? We've been trying to get our dog and rabbit over here, been missing them like crazy!

We have a very tiny chihuahua, I think, smaller than a cat.

Yeah I love ambient. from the slowest Steve Roach all the way through Japanese Noise.  I've never tried making my own, I place classical guitar which isn't exactly an ambient sound.  Some day ... who knows. 

Feel free to contact me privately, I'd love to meet.

@Howie: my Spanish is *really* rusty for speaking but I can read it pretty much fluently .. I've been around it most of my life and it would take me a month in Mexico City with a copy of "501 Spanish Verbs" to get it back.  Be happy to try, though.

My problem is that for me there is "english" and "the other language" and if I spend a few minutes speaking German than I am saying "Danke" at the market here.  I get messed up easily.

Sent you a PM! :)

A bunch of us meet at cà phê Pha Lê pretty regularly. used to meet at Big C bu we have kind of switched, however both are good.

Ecuador is looking like a hopping place for me.  I am reviving my Spanish now.

Wild_1 Ecuador's a great place. A country small enough to get around fairly easily, but with great diversity in climate, geography, and culture. Former headhunting Jivaros in the Amazon, Quito was the northernmost corner of the Inca Empire (Manco Capac IIRC), Northern dialect Quechua is about as close to Peruvian Quechua as English is to Russian. Blacks, Cayapa Indians, and Sambos (Black/Indian Mixture) in Esmereldas province, Quayaquil, a bit reminiscent of Saigon in weather and terrain, Quito, where you dodge volcanos, often snow-capped, coming in to land. Traditional Highland Mestizo and Indian communities, Girls every color of the rainbow, great food, decent beer, and if TAME (Transportes Aereos Militares Ecuatoriana) airlines is still flying, a cheap way to travel the country.

Last war fought was a border war with Peru, as Ecuador used to be Northern Peru, but the border war was over 20 years ago. All over a piece of jungle so remote the locals had no idea if they were Peruvians or Ecuadorians. You'll even find some Asian and Arab Ecuadorians down in Guayaquil (Great Italian food, too.) but I have a suspicion you'll prefer the Sierra.

Never been to the Galapagos, but Ecuadorian friends all recommend it.

Lirelou,

A friend of mine had just came and settled in Cuenca.  It sounded great.  Plus, because of my southern California upbringing, I have always had this fondness for South American foods and cultures. 

It would be really cool to shuttle between California, Vietnam and Latin America.

I love the cuisine of northern Mexico and Mexican food is one thing I miss here a lot.

I'm going to be shuttling from Florida, Latin America, and Vietnam. :D

I should have mentioned the Spanish. Educated Ecuadorians speak a really nice sounding Spanish, including the pronoun 'Vos' which I had only heard in Spain. I think you'll find the Otavalo indians interesting. The men all wear their hair in a long braid down their backs, "Panama" hats (which are made in Ecuador anyway), white shirts that look like linen, don't remember of they all wore white pants, and sandals that look like Italian loafers. You'll find them out in the streets selling everything. Usually the men do the selling and the women are in charge of the budget and production. Quick story that might even (somehow) relate to VIetnam.

Friend of mine worked in the Consulate in Guayaquil. One day this older Otavalo shows up for his visa interview. Don was new in the job, so he assumed that this nice old guy was gong to be disappointed given the visa requirements. The guy hands him a brand new Ecuadorian passport. To Don's questions he explains that he goes to the U.S. every year and sells vicuna sweaters on the campus of the Unviersity of North Carolina. That after he sells all his sweaters he comes home and puts the family to knitting the sweaters for the following year. Don runs his name in the computer, and sure enough he'd been going to the U.S. for the past 8 years. But, says Don, do you have any proof of financial ties to Ecuador? Sure, the old man says, I've got bank accounts here and in the U.S.. And with that he pulls out a bank statement (this is the early 90s) from a U.S. bank that shows he has over 80 thousand in their bank.

When the old guy left, the next interviewee was a light Latin Ecuadorean. No savings, no ties in the U.S., no real evidence of significant ties to Ecuador that would guarantee his return. When Don turned him down, the guy protested: "You just gave that damned Serrano (Indian) a visa, why not me?"

Never been to Cuenca either, but its Carnaval is famous.