Is the shopping here as bad for women's attire?

Recently, in the Danube supermarket of Hyatt Mall, I managed to find a French press, after looking around for so long. I also bought, along with the usual goods, some Melitta Premium Highland 100% arabica ground coffee, in a tin for easy storage in the freezer (once opened, as coffee goes off pretty quickly). I'd accidentally left my two French presses back home and had been jonesing for a cuppa Joe at home quite a while.

This morning I excitedly filled the kettle and opened the box. Pulling out the plunger to give my new coffee buddy a wash the top of the glass broke off. Ah well. I'd ran out of Twinnings Everyday tea - two tea bags are perfect for making a pot - but at least I'd found the M&S Extra Strong bags yesterday. It seems, on first taste, that they don't make as good a tea as the Twinnings but at least they're better than that ubiquitous Lipton dirge.

I think when I return to Hyatt I'll get a refund and buy, and pay too much for, a Starbucks appliance. I also looked for shirts in Hyatt but the choice was quite miserable and I do like Debenhams's offerings in the shirt department, so I think I'll venture there in short order. The choice of men's clothing in the ME is usually poor (I think that most outlets here only stock the items that aren't popular elsewhere) but Debenhams's shirts are one of the few exceptions.

I usually save my non-food shopping expeditions for when I have a break from this region but a good shirt and cup of coffee are some of life's little luxuries I prefer not to do without. The press I bought was cheap (for here, reasonably priced elsewhere) and will be mentally added to the cheap sandals I got a few weeks ago, in a box marked 'False Economy'. Those sandals, similar in price to the ones (which broke after many, many miles of use) they were replacing are almost unwearable after a couple of outings.

This is an odd development I don't quite understand; Saudi is a country consisting of two main industries - oil and consumerism. Without the usual western distractions you'd think consumerism, having an almost monopoly on ways to easily release oneself from boredom and disposable income, would be made up of elite business practices and staff who provide the best items the world of manufacturing can offer. But no; we are often faced with sub-par, shoddily-made, over-priced goods and so often approach this pastime with a mixture of trepidation and dismay.

Is this not the 21st Century we live in? Is not the easy transport of goods a fact of life? I don't get quite why a mall such as the Hyatt will only offer me two shirts I found moderately attractive but failed to provide them in a size and shape that was suitable for my build (not far off 'gangly'). Of course, not all outlets will cater to all sizes but you would think the Hyatt, with its generously-sized square footage, would present me with some choice!

As usual Hyatt offers many outlets catering to ladies and children so one has to innocuously pass these by, without lingering too long and attracting the suspicions that may arise when others are distinguishing the ailing from the malingering. Not being, in any fashion (no pun intended), an expert on women's or children's apparel I wonder whether the non-bachelor finds the shopping experience equally fraught with frustration and folly?

tl;dr - shopping here is crap.

I totally and completely understand what you're saying!  And this is the conclusion I've come to:  Saudi shopping is built on the 'impulse' buyer, not the person who KNOWS what they want.

I myself don't consider 'shopping' (meaning going from store to store, viewing what they have) to be a form of amusement.  When I go shopping, it's because I know I want/need something in particular--a brown sweater, for example.  I won't be able to find it in any of the small shops in the malls.  Not in the style, color, size and material I want (often strike out on ALL counts lol).  H&M, Marks & Spencer and Debenhams come the closest to a good selection but they are SO over-priced compared to what you get and what they charge in other countries and still, I am making some concessions based on what I want (while paying through the nose!).

Shopping here, in my experience, is usually time-consuming and frustrating. My Solution? I try to pick up the things I need on my trips home.

Which is why I'm desperately looking for a good female tailor who will do stuff for me at a reasonable price!

When I find something versatile that I really like (and to be fair, I have seen a lot of things that I like), I try to get several made with the same design. This is a lifesaver for work clothes, and helps keep my pocketbook, shopping time and blood pressure in check. Unfortunately, I can't use the same people because I've moved!

If you do know someone, could you please send me a PM? (Original message posted here).

Thanks!

This is absolutely true. Shopping here, be it a result of some disposable income accumulating, or a genuine need is just horrible.

I have learned following rules

If some thing is cheaper, be it by 1 riyal. There must be some thing wrong with it.

There is no such thing as a "sale". The Braun steam iron I purchased 4 years ago is still the same price ON SALE !

A pocket square @ Raymond shop was 210 SAR and on sale it was 245 SAR.

Similarly I can illustrate several other items which I purchased and now resent doing so.

Like allie said, sellers bank on sheep mentality.

I can not purchase stuff off ebay or amazon unless I pay ridiculous amount of P&P. We can not trust Saudi Post. FedEx and DHL are our only hope.

My suggestion is if you want to SHOP in Saudi, find the dealer or go to Bahrain.

Debenhams has good sales, I got a nice suitcase there half price. Actually thinking about it that's the best thing to buy in Saudi and make quick use of it )

Lucky for me, I don't face problem finding things I like/want. Price wise, though, they're way expensive comparing to what I usually pay elsewhere. That's why I always return to Saudi with heavier bags.

I agree with Alliecat on the impulse buyer part, the retail businesses here target buyers who are not really concerned about price.