Self-employed - Tax / NI rates

HI,

Was wondering if any self-employed people can assist I am new in Malta working within IT as a contractor and still trying to work out all the rules and regulations.

I now have my social, Tax and VAT numbers. The VAT seamed easy until I was informed that you can take deductions from your VAT so does anyone have any links that I can study to work out what you deduct from VAT to what to deduct from TAXES.

Does anyone have any links so I can identify what category I fall under with taxes and social as they are due in December and have no clue where to pay or what rate I need to calculate at -0 can anyone help.

Also I can pay directly from my bank to VAT department does anyone know if I can do this for social and Taxes.

I would appreciate any assistance on these topics as December mu first payments are due and I do not want to under or over pay :)

In advance thanks for any support

Wendy

Isn't that the kind of stuff an accountant can sort out for you? I've been self-employed for six years in Belgium and i've never done a tax or VAT declaration myself.

Now i've just moved here and i have an appointment next week with an accounting firm that's been recommended several times here on this forum but i'm not sure if I'm allowed to advertise for them :)

"any links that I can study to work out what you deduct from VAT to what to deduct from TAXES."

I suggest to find an accountant. It's cheaper than penalties :)

Phone the tax office in Floriana, they are most helpful.

Terry

Hello Wendy,

I am on the same situation as you are and I will try to explain to you what was told to me previously by the different departments and what I've done so far. So, I have registered myself as SE at ETC since June 2013 more or less. I have paid for my 1st NI contributions in the end of Aug and I will have to pay again by the end of Dec. Normally, as SE person, you'll have to pay for your contributions every end of April, August and December. On your first year, you'll pay a standard rate of 27.86€ per week. You'll need to count how many Mondays are on each period and multiply by 27.86€. After the 1st year, then the rates will vary depending on how much you earn and your personal status (single, married, parent, etc). You can calculate how much you'd be paying by checking this link: Inland Revenue SSC Calculator

In regards to the TAX, I was told that I should not worry about my 1st year as I would receive a tax form to fill in in the beginning of next year. I also need to clarify if I will need to pay for any taxes this year as at the moment I am on a Provisional Tax System. I am attaching the explanation form that was given to me by the Expatriates Section at Floriana.

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/5853/nq5t.jpg

As advised by other members here, the easiest way to get all this done is by getting an accountant, that's no doubt. But to be honest with you, you can save some money by going to the right departments and ask the right questions. It may not be that straight forward sometimes but you can do it yourself if you're willing to spend sometime trying to get the right information. Also, have a look at the The Inland Revenue Website as I am sure it will answer some of your questions. I would defo follow Terry's advice and contact the Expatriates Section as showing on the top of this form and they will most certainly give you all the information you need.

Anyway, I hope all the above info can be helpful to you and best of luck.

Cheerio,
Antonio