Does anyone know what is the bullying policy in both schools ?

Hello there,

I am also considering between eton house and chiltern house.

Anyone has any comment?

Does anyone know what is the bullying policy in both schools?

Thanks!

Hi Mick Teng,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I have created a new thread as from your post on the Jakarta Forum for better visibility and interaction :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Have you contacted the schools directly and asked them?

Every school has a different approach depending on what they deem bullying is and because teachers do not like parent confrontation I think it goes often ignored. The policies I am pretty sure are no where near as tough or effective as they are in some countries in the west.

Thats just my viewpoint based on experience here.

Luke, I'm curious. 

Were your comments to the OP in direct response to the specific schools he asked about, or to schools in Indonesia in general?

The reason I ask is because we have three boys in schools here in Bali…two are still in private schools and the oldest is in public SMP…an excellent public school, btw.

Bullying on any level is simply not tolerated at either the private or the public school.  In fact, any sort of “bad behavior” is not tolerated.  Personally I am very impressed with the level of discipline my boys are subjected to at both schools, but oddly enough, this discipline seems to come far more from peer pressure than from the authoritative position of teachers, administration, or staff.  Part of that discipline that I wholeheartedly embrace is the requirement at the SMP school for all students to participate in school clean up once a week.  Would that western schools learn that little technique!   

I've also noted a very sincere and proactive willingness from all the teachers my boys have had to discuss with us any particular concerns…academic or otherwise, that they might have.

My own experiences are obviously quite different than what you discuss, so hopefully you can understand my curiosity.

Cheers, Roy

Hi Roy,

My comments come from my own step sons experiences where the teachers have to be told it is happening and then almost do nothing to stop it and then also from my teaching in different national, national plus schools and privately.
I have seen teachers refusing to deal the issue immediately rather  let it go and see what happens which in my opinion is not the way to be. I have also seen teachers walk away from behaviour in class which could have been changed and the problem solved there and then.
I remember walking into class which was overly noisy, chaotic and uninterested to do anything with the departing teacher wishing me luck with them and then just walking away.
On the flip side in the current school I work (which is the leading catholic school in the city) any report of bullying, bad language, refusal to obey a teacher or fighting is dealt with there and then and very severely. Cheating means expulsion.
I guess it depends on the school and the way it is run. My comments were aimed at the general schools rather than the private or international schools.
In my center, our policy on bullying is very simple. You leave. Parents in and child out. I have not had a case of bullying for years.
I have on many occasions travelling through Bali often seen school children carrying brushes to clean their schools and thought that is an excellent way to help install disciplines, manners and behaviours which they will have the rest of their lives. Sadly it is not done here.

"I guess it depends on the school and the way it is run."

And possibly, where that school is located...Jakarta...other parts of Java, Bali...etc.? 

Thanks for the clarification Luke! 

Cheers, Roy

A good preschool /kindergarten in South Jakarta is Lollikids Montessori Preschool at Senayan City, 7278-2125.