Residency visa

I have a question. I am retired and am considering moving to Grenada, Nicaragua. My problem is that I have a misdemeanor conviction in the states from 16 years ago.Will that automatically disqualify me from obtaining a residency visa? If so, is there anyway around this?

If you can get a passport in the USA you can move to Nicaragua. You need a local police report from where you live if you are going to apply for residency. In reality, you can pick a town near where you live and get the police report. If it is a misdemeanor there probably wont be a record of it.

Thanks, but not so sure that is true. You can get an American passport with a felony conviction but won't be able to get a residency visa anywhere.
What do you ask for at the local police department? What exactly would Nicaragua want for the visa application?

Then be honest and put it on your police report. I know of a few folks here that had misdemeanor charges and it did not stop them They had them write a statement about it get it translated into Spanish  and that was it.

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it!!

Hi bostonbrad,

Your discussion has been moved to Nicaragua forum for more visibility and interaction :)

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team