Gym's/Personal Trainers

Hello everyone -
I am travelling to PP to teach english from four months in November. Just wondering if there are any gym/fitness facilities and the cost?
In addition if anyone is still going to be in PP at the end of the year, if you could send me a message and establish contact that would be fantastic!

Rachel

Hi Rachel,

I arrived here a couple of days ago and should still be here at the end of the year.

Yes, there are gyms in Phnom Penh. It is very cheap, there is a gym near the riverside, can't remember the name of it. One of the tuk tuk drivers was telling me today foreigners pay 2000 reil or 50cents US. You can hire a personal trainer but not sure of the cost.

Regards

Daza

thats fantastic

i am arriving in november and am staying until the end of feb so if you are still over here at the end of the year let me know.

Hi Rachel,

I am pretty sure I will be, not sure if I will be in PP or Seam Reap though.

Keep in touch, you must be getting excited and counting down the months.

Daza

I am so excited - i just want to leave the cold confines of melbourne now!

Haha.............I bet you are.

I love Melbourne, prefer the cold weather. I am dying in the heat here but I am slowly adjusting. :)

Have you been to PP before?

Daz

Oh, I forgot to tell you, I asked my friend how much a personal trainer costs, he said US45 per month, I think that entitles you to 3 sessions a week.

Daz

P.S - I must get back to the gym ; ) Am being extremely careful with my diet to compensate

thats awesome - less then what i pay in aus!

yeahh the gym is good for your mind as well as your body, its one of the things i was uneasy about if there was no half alrite facilities in phnom penh as i absolutely love the gym!

what are you doing in PP?

I love the gym too although I must admit I am enjoying the break. Yes much cheaper here than Australia, it's all relative though, pay is less as are the living expenses. In Sydney, I loved my aerobics, body combat and step classes. They don't appear to have those here but still searching around.

However, I learnt tonight from my new friend Sam tonight (Camdoian), for 20c you can do aerobics in the park with a large group of people. They have around 3 classes in the morning commencing at 5am and then commencing again at 5pm. I am going to give it a go, it will be in Khmer but I'll just follow everyone else. haha I am sure it will be quite a sight. :) A western gay guy doing aerobic moves with a bunch of women in a public park near the national monument. hehe

Otherwise, I will have to go it alone or hire a personal trainer to motivate me.

Daz

hahaha that would be very very funny to see!!

well when i come over ill join you and we can be the two clueless westeners!

hehe

LOL - sounds like a lot of fun..............I look forward to it, I will probably wet myself from laughter. :)

dont think you would be the only one

This Tai Chi on the Riverside is brillant stuff. I watched it sometimes before going back home to sleep

Hi Rachel, I just moved to PP two weeks ago and have discovered the Muscle and Fitness gym which I intend joining as it is much cheaper than some of the fancy gyms. The cost is $3 per session (or you can buy a package of 12 sessions for $25) and it is perfectly adequate with machines, treadmills, stairmasters, stretch area and free weights.
It does have airconditioning but still pretty warm so be prepared!
Good luck.

that sounds fantastic!
do you have an address by any chance?

musclefitnesscentre.com

Hi Rachel,

Hope you are well, I am still here, I start teaching next week. Above is the website for the gym, it looks very reasonably priced.

Daz

you legend! thanks heaps - it looks like decent facilities and SO cheap

hows the teaching going?
will you still be in PP at the end of the year?

You are very welcome yes it well priced for this type of gym. My friend Marina and I visited 7 gyms yesterday ranging in price from $1 per visit to $120 a month. We have not yet looked at this gym but it looks good.

From what we saw yesterday, the gym at the Cambodiana Hotel was the best. If we join together it is only $50 a month each. It is beautiful and overlooks the river, has sufficient equipment, a personal trainer on hand to write a fitness program for you, a spa, steam room, lovely hot showers, body combat classes and best of all a huge pool that you can just swim and relax by after a workout or just hang out there in the deck chairs on the weekend.

I did my first full week of teaching last week in an ophanage, I start teaching in a paid position next week. It's hard work, get's easier with time.

Yes, I will still be here at the end of the year as the lease on my apartment does not expire until 3 January.

oh thats awesome - let me know how you go! i am so nervous! i nearly backed out the other day!

Doing something new is always going to be nerve wracking, don't pull out as you will spend the rest of your life questioning yourself and saying "only if I went to Cambodia".

yeah nah ive decided that i will regret it if i dont - going to only view it as a positive

Hi, I might move to PP on sept. The ompany that I will work for has changed the job offer from PP to Sri Lanka to PP again, so nothing is confirmed yet.

I would like to ask your opinion. I would love to go to PP but it worries me a lot in terms of safety and health. According you experience...would you recomend a woman (alone) to live there? what is your advice? and also could you recomend a travel insurance..I have found many but in most of them you have to pay upfront, so Im not sure I could do that, for instance if I needed to be transfered to bangkok..... I would love to hear your opinion.

I sound a bit paranoid and well, Im a bit paranoid, but at the same time Im excited to live a different experience.

Thanks in advance

Hi cretakano! :) This thread is about "Gym's/Personal Trainers in Cambodia". I suggest you to start a new topic on the Phnom penh forum.
Thank you.