Walk, Metro or get ripped off by Taxi drivers?

I can't drive. Funny isn't it? I lived all my life in Hong Kong with advanced public transport system where driving is expensive and slow. 

It wasn't until I started "expating" in KL two weeks ago I found my inability to drive annoyed me more than the packed morning metro in Hong Kong.

Last week off work, with the "protection" of my male Caucasian colleague business tripping in KL, I decided to take my first metro ride in the city!

I arrived at the Ampang Park station soaked in rain, a Malaysian looking girl came to ask me for direction, and I pointed her to the right way.  Yes I am new here, with high cheekbones and single eye lid eyes, I cannot be more Chinese looking but yet I was constantly being asked for direction by both locals and tourists since the first day I arrived, and I knew which way to go every time they asked.

My colleague made it to the station so we moved on to buying train tickets, oops, I mean tokens. Ok, we figured out the way within seconds but only to find the smallest note in our wallets is RM 50, not small enough for the token machine!  We went to the Information Centre, guess what? The girl only got a big pile of one ringgit notes! Fine, I took them.  Threw eight of my one ringgit notes to the machine, and crammed the other 42 bloody one ringgit notes into my little wallet.

We took RapidKL for two stations, and the map said we should change to monorail to Bukit Pintang.  Being a Hong Kong trained metro passenger, I assume changing trains always take place within the station; however, it is far from the case here in KL.  Changing to monorail means you get out of the RapidKL station without any sight of another train station.

Two tourist-looking Chinese strangers who followed us suggested that we should take a taxi.  Luckily there was a taxi, but with my blue-eyed colleague the taxi price accelerated from expat price to generous-American-tourists price, the just-round-the-corner trip costs us RM 20 and a traffic jam of approx. 20 minutes.

When we eventually arrived at Pavilion Mall we were so tired and starved that we gave up the not-too-touristy Malay food search and ended up with some American ribs.  The ribs were great, but then the question is – how are we getting home? Take the connectionless metro or to get ripped off by taxi drivers again?
We walked. With my colleague constantly laughing at my insensible choice of shoes – 3-inch wedge sandals, we walked for an hour to get home.  Guess I burnt more calories walking home than working out in the gym that night.

The other night I found a free option to get driven to Pavilion… to be continued.

Hi There

Well if you get around like you are getting around in Hong Knng where is the fun? It is getting around is part of the fun.
In Hong Kong locals get annoyed if you asking direction and they giving a dirty half look and not even full dirty look.
So when you go back where you come from life will be full of fun and you wont take all the facilities in Hong Kong not for granted.
Least you are entertaining your blue eye American friend in the room and outside the room and thats what for American friends for.

Looking forward to hear more of your embellished histories.

Great beginning.  I look forward to following your adventures in KL.  I arrived in Dec with my 3 sons.  The first three days were a lot of walking, sweating, and complaining, but the Eureka; my oldest figured out the Public Transport and how to manage taxi drivers and we were good to go until I got a car in April.

Best of luck on your adventures.

James

Taxi drivers in KL are often drug addicts, drunks, pimps (I have been offered everything from their sisters, Fillipino/Indo/Thai friends of both sexes) and deadly (nearly killed once by one).

I avoid at all costs.

Public transport lacks the critical mass in KL yet although getting a little better now. HK/Singapore have decent transport. Rest of Asia you need a car. Bangkok is actually far better than KL in that respect as taxis are at least cheap and plentiful and apart from the idiots near tourist spots I can say with confidence KL has the worst taxi drivers in Asia.

Wow Nemodot! You are really unlucky.
I agree some of the taxi drivers are bad.
I have been in one cab, where he actually stopped for another 2 passengers who were standing in the rain, where one of them couldn't walk.

The number of bad apples are increasing. Nevertheless, there are still good Samaritans around.

gorgeouslyflawless wrote:

Wow Nemodot! You are really unlucky.
I agree some of the taxi drivers are bad.
I have been in one cab, where he actually stopped for another 2 passengers who were standing in the rain, where one of them couldn't walk.

The number of bad apples are increasing. Nevertheless, there are still good Samaritans around.

I know of an expat couple attacked with a parang by a taxi driver as they took the next taxi as he looked drugged. He chased them and rammed the cab, got out and  attacked the cab they took smashing it up with the parang.

Local female friends report perverted things like one taxi driver talking about swinger clubs to her and making lewd remarks. She called me and pretended I was her husband and got out the taxi after screaming. I went to rescue her from the road side.

Many are unsafe and to be honest single women should avoid taxis.

Have used taxi in KL almost daily for 5+ years (in fact more than 2 rides a day on average) and never had any problem. Sure some drivers will try to scam you and don't want to use the meter but to say that "Taxi drivers in KL are often drug addicts, drunks, pimps" what a LOAD OF BULLSHIT.

Dunno where you get your taxis buddy, hang out a lot in chow kit and other classy areas i guess.

as a local male you won't get harassed as much and know the rules. Avoid Indian drivers and prefer Malay drivers (as local women always tell me and tell new expat females). and you prob avoid the ones with glazed eyes without thinking.

Expat male in a taxi brings out the dodgy conversations so does a pretty local gal on her own.

Malaysian taxis are a national disgrace. Look at Singapore or even Thailand. So much better and more reliable.

The Blue taxis seem to be a little better.  They use the meter automatically and although they charge more, the cars are clean and comfortable and there is no haggling or nasty surprises. Rather pay a fair fee for a ride than be ripped off by a nasty driver. This month there are some new taxis coming onto the roads where you can also pay by credit card.  They are gold and white and a different make.  A new initiative from the Government to clean up the taxi problem here.  Let's hope it works.  By the way, I think most of the problems are in the KLCC and BB areas.  When I have taken taxis in other areas and on Penang, no problems.

Yes! now i only take the big blue taxi, a lot safer!

Well am anxious to know your adventure and exploits.. Trying to make a comparison between 2 countries is not so good. All countries have the pros and cons. Walking one hour may  not sound factual as the places were not mentioned. Some of the writers wrote that taxi drivers are addicts, drunkards and pimps is ridiculous to believe. Please do not exaggerate. There are some good taxi drivers and bad ones. As far as Malaysia is concerned we have the friendliest and helpful people compared to other countries.

I do hope that you will find Malaysia a wonderful place to stay with its food, culture and people.

Do always try to see the positive side then you will see less of the negative side

Cheers

Yes most people i encountered here are very friendly and helpful.  But to be honest, taxi and other public transport really dictate tourists' and expats' first impression of the city.

Two months after I wrote the story I had switched to the blue taxi and now see more of the positive side of the city.

Just hope that the bad ones could stop ripping off tourists and stop ruining the city image~