Opening bank account in Guatemala

We are also flying in in Dec (7) to check out Guate we will have a bit more time. Do you need to have an address to open a bank account or is there a PO Box type situation there? Do banks pay interest on deposits? If so does anyone know how much? Any recommendation on lawyer for pensinado/rentista process any idea of approx cost? Is it tough to find a hotel Dec 20 to 30? Seems many are booked then we usually wing it book one for the night we fly in then check around, but I am too old and spoiled to want to a bunk in a hostel. I am looking for=ward to arriving!

a42.com/site/pg/s/63/73/335 offers banking info but the bottom line is that you need your DPI before you can open an "independent" bank account. What that means is that if you don't have it, you need a Guatemalan to "sponsor" you.

The residency information is also on the same pages on A42. You will need to be in Guatemala City to deal with getting pensionado residency. It is a pretty easy process and a lawyer is optional but will probably be worth it. I am sure prices vary all over the place. My guess would be Q2000 or less for a local Atitlan lawyer up to maybe Q10,000 for a 'city slicker".

My recommendation is to just chill out and spend you time looking at where you may want to live and making some local connections. December is a bad time to try to do "business" in Latin America anyway.

Lots of places do fill up in late December but, at least in Panajachel, it seems like there is always something available. I had friends visiting last December and even with the 13 Bakrun events, they found places to stay around the lake that met their requirements. Bottom line is minimize the amount of stuff you need to drag around and be flexible.

To open a bank account normally you need somebody local to help you as some banks might not open account for you. Normally they request the electrical bill of the place you are staying for example the rental you are..
Yes Banks pay interest on saving and checking account.. on saving might be around 2.5%  checking not much.
To get a pensionado residency.. you can contact Miss Ada Redondo
Hotel in Guatemala City?  I would say try hotel Stofella, hotel Billtmore Express...
See you at the lake...

Hi DeliaL,

A new topic has been created with your post on the Guatemala forum for more visibility and interaction. :)

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Get several names whenever using lawyers here. I interviewed about ten before I settled on someone that knew another type of visa besides pensionista. Her name is Elizabeth Lopez and her phone is [Moderated: Please send personal details in private]. She speaks excellent English, and her fees are very reasonable. I only had to travel to Guatemala City one to get my DPI.