Driver license

hi , is any body know about driver license test in china?

please guide me to find test book about driver license exam in china .

some ppl say the driver license test exam changed in 2013 ,please put new test in this topic .

Hi amir197667,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I suggest you to read the article on driving in China. This might be helpful.

Thank you and good luck.

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

hi hasnaa,
  thanks for your suggestion, i saw that blog and i follow the links in that blog but i couldnot find any test exam about driver license in china.

Hi Amir,

There is an (iphone, ipad) App: Driving in China. I also have an agent that helps 100s of people get their licence in Shenzhen.

Hit me up and I can PM the details to you.

Kris

hi kris
   thanks , my email is [please send in private] , I am in Shenzhen too

if you have international license then its easy to get a local one.

You can visit cncarweb.com. Information on Drivers Licence Conversion is there.

adamwang wrote:

if you have international license then its easy to get a local one.

That's not true… I have an International Drivers License and it wasn't worth squat at the bureau in Shenzhen. Only my State permit counted as valid proof.

Kris

kris hi

I think the problem is that the poster is not a native English speaker.

I think he did not mean to say international but foreign.  i.e. if you have a foreign DL it's not a big problem to get a Chinese DL - just take the test.

at what cost?  I am more curious about the licence it self. for instance, The car test just mean "car" only. Bike test mean "bike" only. Power output/weight restrictions etc...

On my UK licence, I have Cat B (car) that gives me up 7.5 tone, that means I can drive a small truck. Have a full Cat D too, and a Bike licence. If I had to do all this again, would cost a fortune!

If you have Foreign DL, you still need to translate officially to Chinese language 1st before going for Exam.

Manlin wrote:

kris hi

I think the problem is that the poster is not a native English speaker.

I think he did not mean to say international but foreign.  i.e. if you have a foreign DL it's not a big problem to get a Chinese DL - just take the test.

You're probably correct. Having a valid foreign license does make it easy. When I applied for Chinese license I only had to do the "written" exam. 3 days later I received my Chinese license by courier.

Kris

Costs are minimal and condusive to the province and city your in. First you need to get your UK licence translated by an official office. Then the medical/ eye exam . Then the exam itself. Everything for about 500rmb.
You can get all the info you need at your local licence bureau.
Foreigners are only permitted to driver passenger vehicles Class C1 licence. Irregardless of what they are permitted to drive in their foreign licence.

Kris

Kris.

If you want to solve the hassle, just get someone to help u. Pay abit more on the services render.

Basically then it means what ever you do regardless , you are starting from scratch. How the hell do foreign truck drivers deliver goods in china?, stop at the border and dump it my the road side? imagine passenger foreign coaches taking holiday makers to china. Even the international driving licence is worth the paper it is written on. Other countries have stiffer, rigorous driving standards, especially Europe.

But on the upside, nanny state mentality is non existent, and the trip on a broken paving stone, suspect the authority's do not get sued.

My apologies if it sounded like a rant. red tape again..

drew1967 wrote:

Basically then it means what ever you do regardless , you are starting from scratch. How the hell do foreign truck drivers deliver goods in china?, stop at the border and dump it my the road side? imagine passenger foreign coaches taking holiday makers to china. Even the international driving licence is worth the paper it is written on. Other countries have stiffer, rigorous driving standards, especially Europe.

But on the upside, nanny state mentality is non existent, and the trip on a broken paving stone, suspect the authority's do not get sued.

My apologies if it sounded like a rant. red tape again..

Not on the roadside but at China's  customs warehouses. Coaches are the same. Passengers get off the coach clear customs and then continue on Chinese coaches. The only exception to this rule is drivers of trucks and coaches coming to and from Hong Kong.

On the flip side cars plated in China cannot be driven outside of China. As well Chinese licences are not often recognized outside of China.

I must rebut your comment about stricter driving standards in Europe. China has some of  the toughest driving exams I've ever known. I know locals that have been trying to get their permits for years. Usually someone who does smoothly go through the system may take as much as 6 months before attaining their licence.  The driving exams in China are virtual nightmare for novice drivers. Often having to buy their way through the process. Which if course puts a lot of unskilled and extremely dangerous drivers on the road. I've often seen home made warnings posted in cars that read "beware new driver"!

Kris

Jayleo39 wrote:

If you want to solve the hassle, just get someone to help u. Pay abit more on the services render.

Yes. I know a reliable agent in SZ that will not only help foreigners get the paperwork done but "walk" his clients through the hoops.
He can also provide assistance in completing the exam ;-).

Kris

The culture as I understand it in China is exam biased, top marks, which in some way agree with, but that said this would be the beginning of you driving life. Practiced driving here in the UK for instance, has far more weight then sitting in class rooms. Not to say the UK do not. We do in-fact have a very comprehensive theory road examination system. Not only that a real time video based exam known as hazard perception test.

This is for road safety, driving skills, and ability. Life skills save lives. Its is well known that academics cannot replace true cognitive skills. Either you have it or not. One of the newer tests coming into force here in the UK is personality testing to a degree. This will show if you`re an alpha male person, or argumentative  for instance,  relationship argument, and if you drive dangerous goods, or carry passengers. This will dis-allow a driving licence.

https://www.gov.uk/personality-disorder-and-driving

Medicals here are very stringent too, A professional UK Heavy goods and PSV passenger carrying vehicles, every seven years , and when you reach 45 years, every 4 years. These test are strict. You could loose that licence quite easy.

Just look at the prices for tests alone.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-test-cost

That is not including Driving instruction, per hour for just a car its £20 and hour. £50+ for any thing bigger.  (200rmb and hour  just for a car).

My PSV public service vehicle (bus licence) was £1500 (15000rmb approx.) for the training and the test on top of that. And that is IF you pass first time.  Pass on this is 5 marks against you max, you fail as to a car is 15 points max against you.  The PSV practical is 4 hours driving test. You have to pass the two theory tests before hand.

The law is also strict. For instance if you have no insurance, its a criminal offence, and you can go to prison. usually the car is taken and crushed, you fined heavy too. and you licence points added 6 points, If you have 15 points on your licence your banned from driving.  The vehicle is kept in tip top condition too, or else! know as an MOT. This can lead to heavy fines for just say , 1mm tread left on your tyres!.  the legal tread depth is 1.6mm. It is illegal not to have an MOT. Then there is road TAX which is also an offence. For a 1998 4x4 it can be £240 a year. (2400 rmb) some newer are £400 a year.

Driving on a pavement is serious offence, it does not matter if it is a push bike  to a car. Its the same. Undue care or attention. Not in accordance with you licence etc...  your Banned!. its illegal to ride on any pedestrian walkway.

All road users are to obey the HI way code. But! This where it gets interesting, In the UK we drive on the left. In Europe on the right, just like China. The UK licence is legal in Europe. As with Europeans in the UK can dive legally. You do not need to take any tests  or anything, they are all compatible. Throws the HI way code out of the window!  French, German, Slovakians etc.... all can drive in each other`s countries and they are borderless.

Not just the tests/prices are hot, the punishment too..   I have my fair share over the years. Now having a nice clean licence for years.. and you know what, I hate driving. its a huge risk, you`re liberty and your bank balance could be badly affected. Not alone the price of the fuel, and that's another debate...

drew1967 wrote:

The culture as I understand it in China is exam biased, top marks, which in some way agree with, but that said this would be the beginning of you driving life. Practiced driving here in the UK for instance, has far more weight then sitting in class rooms. Not to say the UK do not. We do in-fact have a very comprehensive theory road examination system. Not only that a real time video based exam known as hazard perception test.

This is for road safety, driving skills, and ability. Life skills save lives. Its is well known that academics cannot replace true cognitive skills. Either you have it or not. One of the newer tests coming into force here in the UK is personality testing to a degree. This will show if you`re an alpha male person, or argumentative  for instance,  relationship argument, and if you drive dangerous goods, or carry passengers. This will dis-allow a driving licence.

https://www.gov.uk/personality-disorder-and-driving

Medicals here are very stringent too, A professional UK Heavy goods and PSV passenger carrying vehicles, every seven years , and when you reach 45 years, every 4 years. These test are strict. You could loose that licence quite easy.

Just look at the prices for tests alone.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-test-cost

That is not including Driving instruction, per hour for just a car its £20 and hour. £50+ for any thing bigger.  (200rmb and hour  just for a car).

My PSV public service vehicle (bus licence) was £1500 (15000rmb approx.) for the training and the test on top of that. And that is IF you pass first time.  Pass on this is 5 marks against you max, you fail as to a car is 15 points max against you.  The PSV practical is 4 hours driving test. You have to pass the two theory tests before hand.

The law is also strict. For instance if you have no insurance, its a criminal offence, and you can go to prison. usually the car is taken and crushed, you fined heavy too. and you licence points added 6 points, If you have 15 points on your licence your banned from driving.  The vehicle is kept in tip top condition too, or else! know as an MOT. This can lead to heavy fines for just say , 1mm tread left on your tyres!.  the legal tread depth is 1.6mm. It is illegal not to have an MOT. Then there is road TAX which is also an offence. For a 1998 4x4 it can be £240 a year. (2400 rmb) some newer are £400 a year.

Driving on a pavement is serious offence, it does not matter if it is a push bike  to a car. Its the same. Undue care or attention. Not in accordance with you licence etc...  your Banned!. its illegal to ride on any pedestrian walkway.

All road users are to obey the HI way code. But! This where it gets interesting, In the UK we drive on the left. In Europe on the right, just like China. The UK licence is legal in Europe. As with Europeans in the UK can dive legally. You do not need to take any tests  or anything, they are all compatible. Throws the HI way code out of the window!  French, German, Slovakians etc.... all can drive in each other`s countries and they are borderless.

Not just the tests/prices are hot, the punishment too..   I have my fair share over the years. Now having a nice clean licence for years.. and you know what, I hate driving. its a huge risk, you`re liberty and your bank balance could be badly affected. Not alone the price of the fuel, and that's another debate...

Interesting. What's it got to do with getting a Chinese licence?

Comparing one coutry's driving legalities with another is comparing apples and oranges... they're both fruits but completely diferent.

Regardless of how uptight UK laws are and what you are permitted to drive in the UK... bottom line, this is China.

Kris

Hi Kris, I also know a Chinese friend who can help too. Maybe is the same person. ;p How much is the person charging?

Jayleo39 wrote:

Hi Kris, I also know a Chinese friend who can help too. Maybe is the same person. ;p How much is the person charging?

Depends on the services required, how fast it's needed, etc. But anywhere from 1200 rmb and up.

Kris

When said, I am not the only one who thinks that the UK licence walks all over the Chinese licence by a mile. When the world around it, has a international licence, China should be "international" too. Not all alone on the moon! And referring to fruit, we all drive banana's where ever you are!

Thanks Kris for the info. I felt relieved. My agent only charge me at RMB 999.

What you, I or anyone else think is irrelevant.

The law of the land is the law of the land and if need be re-read Oliver Twist .... “the law is a ass, a idiot..."

True!.

I shall cross that Bridge when I get to it. Least I know what I`d be getting into. That is if I divert to Japan first. Least my Brit licence covers me there!