Moving to Malaysia. How much money should I bring with me.

Hi All,

I am moving to Malaysia from India next week. Going to join an MNC in Cyberjaya. How much money would be sufficient for alone.? Do I have to get the money converted to Ringgit before coming there. ? Plz help me.

Thank you.

Convert in Malaysia as the rates are better.

You should budget to have 3 months survival and establishment costs. That would be RM3-5k.

Plus between RM2-9k for housing deposits and utilities (2 + 1/2 months of the rental rate paid as a lump sum deposit plus first month rental charged = Total: 3 + 1/2 months).  These figures will depend on where you will live and what kind of accommodation. Less if you will be taking a room and sharing service costs.

Crystal clear. Thank you Gravitas.

Hi well you need 2 months rental deposit plus half months rent for utilities. Plus 1 month minimum living expenses as you are paid in arrears. Also other startup costs. Phone deposit for foreigners is upto 1,000 rm for a package for example.

I would say 10,000 rm minimum. Just over 3,000 usd. For a western expat we reccomend at least 15,000 rm.

Please bear in mind that it may take you over a month to get a bank account opened to receive your salary in RM.  You will need an address, your work permit and time off to go to your selected bank with passport etc.  If you have money over from your monthly needs, ensure you place it on fixed term deposit to earn interest.

You are better off getting US$

Legally as a foreign national you are allowed to bring US$ 10,000.00 cash.
You rather cash the dollars towards the end of the week,rates better.