Three items I can't find

(1)  a REASONABLY priced saucepan with handle (the ones at Mammut are expensive and I don't want to buy expensive.  I'd love one for under $50 that is in the middle quality range...)  Any large grocery stores sell them?  I am desperate but unwilling to shell out for something I may leave behind. 

(2)  SPINACH!  At this point, CANNED or LEAFY -- where does one find dark leafy greens in BP?

(3)  A place to buy t-shirts with the old names for streets, places, etc.  It's a sentimental thing.  :)

Oh,and

best bet this weekend for a not too noisy cultural or arts event --  or a nice public library where I can sit down and read in peace.

missustoad wrote:

(1)  a REASONABLY priced saucepan with handle (the ones at Mammut are expensive and I don't want to buy expensive.  I'd love one for under $50 that is in the middle quality range...)  Any large grocery stores sell them?  I am desperate but unwilling to shell out for something I may leave behind. 

(2)  SPINACH!  At this point, CANNED or LEAFY -- where does one find dark leafy greens in BP?

(3)  A place to buy t-shirts with the old names for streets, places, etc.  It's a sentimental thing.  :)

Oh,and

best bet this weekend for a not too noisy cultural or arts event --  or a nice public library where I can sit down and read in peace.

1) Tesco (as usual)

2) No idea, this is quite difficult. Try finding decent celery stalks too.  Tesco maybe?

3) Souvenir shops down Vaci utca (near the market, Szabadszag Bridge) but you are asking quite a lot to find something so specific.

Best bet for cultural event, no idea. 

You could do a loop walking as it's going to be quite nice weather. Get a bus to the chairlift (next to US Amabassadors residence), go up there one way (take a detour up to Erszebet Tower - it's free, next to chairlift), then walk to the children's railway across Normafa, then go down on the children's railway and take the 61 tram back. Alternatively, at Normafa, go down on the cog wheel railway back to Janos Korhaz (hospital) and thence to wherever you started. It's all around about district 12.

1. Tesco or Auchan usually have decent selections for a decent price. Also maybe IKEA, Kika...
2. You can find frozen spenót at almost any grocery store, but at Auchan or Tesco for sure. When in season check (open air) markets.
3. Have your own t-shirts printed, google 'póló nyomtatás'.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips!  And the walk this weekend sounds perfect for me!

missustoad wrote:

Thanks for the tips!  And the walk this weekend sounds perfect for me!

You should take a map or directions, because the terminus for the children's railway and the cogwheel railway is perhaps, 2km further on from Normafa. You can get the children's railway from numerous stations on the route, including stations in the forest between the chairlift and Normafa. If you check the web site for timetables for the children's railway, you can take the steam train.

You can also do variations, leaving out the chairlift if it's not operating. Get the 22 bus from Moscow Square, get off at Szepjuhaszne, then walk up the hill opposite on the opposite side of the road to Erszebet tower, across to Normafa etc. The entire route will take you an afternoon.  There are cafes at Szepjuhaszne, at Erszebet tower and at Normafa. Great views of the city from Erszebet tower and Normafa.

I'm mountain biking all over that area so I know it quite well. At the weekends, when it's sunny (like today), it can be quite busy, but during the week, there's no-one about.

You can always find frozen spinach in Budapest. It is called spenot and comes creamed with or without garlic or just plain chopped .This is available in Tesco or interspar or CBA, almost anywhere.

Yes, Tesco had it in the frozen section.  I just HAD to have my fix of dark greens!

Thank you all.

For the saucepan, I buy all my kitchenware on amazon.co.uk and get it delivered to me at work. Delivery fees are surprisingly low (often only a couple of pounds) and delivery times are surprisingly quick (often only a couple of days). This is especially so if you choose an item that is dispatched by Amazon EU. Super quick! 

This goes for small appliances too. I've found it to be significantly cheaper to buy a blender or juicer from amazon, even counting the delivery fee, than to buy one at Media Mart or something here.

missustoad wrote:

Spring must be coming!

Fresh spinach was at a nearby hole in the corner produce store today! :)

Yeah! :)