Gift for One year old (family member)

I am having trouble figuring out what is the correct gift (if any) to take to a one (1) year old's birthday.
Can anyone offer advise.
Thanks in advance.

You can't go wrong with one of those red Li Xi envelopes, with at least a new 100.000 VND bill inside.

I would buy a photo frame or some books( touch and feel book especially) for this age.

Hope it helps.

I will prefer baby clothes or toys that the child can enjoy playing.

Noah

Citsym wrote:

I am having trouble figuring out what is the correct gift (if any) to take to a one (1) year old's birthday.
Can anyone offer advise.
Thanks in advance.

How about something from home?  A kangaroo stuffed toy (for a girl) or a boomerang (for a boy).  He can't throw it yet so he can just wack it around like a stick.  They're unique down under gifts that the parents will find interesting. 

Else, just do the money thing.  But I'd get the kid a clay piggy bank instead and go to a bank to find a big bag of coins (5,000 VND coins are big enough the kid can't swallow it).  You can show the kid how to insert the coins and hear the cling clang clang inside the bank.  It doubles as a rattle!

Wild_1 wrote:

You can't go wrong with one of those red Li Xi envelopes, with at least a new 100.000 VND bill inside.

I agree with you on that.  New fresh sanitized bills, since the one year old will probably try to eat it (the red envelope).

Zoomerr wrote:

I would buy a photo frame or some books( touch and feel book especially) for this age.

Hope it helps.

Good idea on the photo frame.  Maybe go to baby's house a few days before and take a picture of said baby, process the photo, and put it in the photo frame.

Thanks Wild_1, Zoomerr, noah83 and Tran Hung Dao

The Red Envelope sounds about right... Something from Australia would be nice bit difficult to find in Vung Tau.

That's what I always do, since I am not too familiar with Vietnamese traditions yet and really fearful of the knock-off market here.  The child's parents will do much better than I can with the money...

Cytsym if you happened to be a nice bloke, you could ask this Ausie guy I know if he could bring a few in June 2014

mark stutley wrote:

Cytsym if you happened to be a nice bloke, you could ask this Ausie guy I know if he could bring a few in June 2014

June?  That's such a long time Mark.  The babies will miss their "sugar daddy" bringing them powder formula/milk.

:dumbom:

Thanks Mark..
I'm back in Oz in Dec anyway...:)

now that looks like the dude i saw in the car

First B;days are important part of the Viet Culture. Give a red packet with 5 buks, its the thought that counts ,, OR you could go to a gold shop and buy a gold bangle for the baby.$75 buks will get you an ok one. Mind this applies to girls ,, not really sure about boys.

Having just been to a birthday party last night i can say the most common gift was money

People can say however they want but giving money for a 1 year old birthday is never being a good idea to me. You can never know which is the perfect gift but moneyyyyyy.....no.

I think much if not all the money went towards the cost of the party which included a large dinner