Social Security and my Vietnam address

Hello, I could use some help. I just had my Social Security income stopped because they said I can not collect it if my address is in Vietnam.

My Social Security is direct deposited into my US bank account. It is not sent to Vietnam. The reason I gave them my Vietnam address is that each year, and you don't know when, they send you a letter to verify who you are and that you are still alive. I want that letter sent to me not an address in Thailand or the USA.

Has anyone else had that problem?

Thank you

By telling them you reside in Vietnam, your check can not be direct deposit.  You will need to make arrangements with the US consulate or embassy to have a paper check sent to them for you to collect monthly.  Vietnam is one of the few countries that the US requires that.  There have been other threads that addressed this issue.

lostvietdreamer wrote:

Hello, I could use some help. I just had my Social Security income stopped because they said I can not collect it if my address is in Vietnam.

This is why I have posted many times on this blog that anyone here from the US should make arrangements with a close relative or friend to use their address for all US domestic correspondence. I use my mother's address, and someday, when she passes on, I'll use my son's or daughter's address. You can't even get a loan or line of credit in the US anymore if you don't have a US address. I made the mistake of telling a loan officer, at a bank which I had done business for over 20 years, that I lived in Vietnam. No loan for me. I won't let that happen again. All of my personal business correspondence (bank statements, credit card statements, etc.) goes to my mother's address, and if she receives anything I need to have in-hand, she sends it over here to me.

Here's a phone number and email address for the SSA Regional Office in the Philippines.

http://vietnam.usembassy.gov/acs_specia … .html#FBVS

For more detailed assistance, please contact the Social Security Administration directly using one of the methods listed below:

General Inquiries:
05-632-301-2000, select option 9, then option 2;
Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. –  2:00 p.m. Hanoi time (8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Manila Time)
Fax:  05-632-522-1514
Email: [email protected]
Mail:
Social Security Division
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office
U.S. Embassy
1131 Roxas Boulevard
Ermita 0930 Manila
Philippines

saigonmonkey wrote:
lostvietdreamer wrote:

This is why I have posted many times on this blog that anyone here from the US should make arrangements with a close relative or friend to use their address for all US domestic correspondence....

lostvietdreamer was lost and didn't get that memo.  Now, what does he need to do?  Time to visit Lê Duẩn Street?  What paperwork does he need to bring along with him?

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

lostvietdreamer was lost and didn't get that memo.  Now, what does he need to do?  Time to visit Lê Duẩn Street?  What paperwork does he need to bring along with him?

Yes, I realize my post was being a Monday morning quarterback for lostvietdreamer, but I know one of our resident SSA experts will come along shortly and give him some good info. Mine is more for others who may read this thread.

My mom is in the same boat.  She goes to the consulate once a month to prove she is not dead.  Others have told me that it's easier to use an address in the US if you can.

If you have specific questions and can leave me your email address, I will pass them to my mom and she will get back to you.

Cheers,

Mike

lostvietdreamer wrote:

My Social Security is direct deposited into my US bank account. It is not sent to Vietnam. The reason I gave them my Vietnam address is that each year, and you don't know when, they send you a letter to verify who you are and that you are still alive. I want that letter sent to me not an address in Thailand or the USA.

Has anyone else had that problem?

Thank you

You can draw SS in VN and you can have it deposited into your US bank account and withdraw it here in VN like you have been doing. Although the payments have stopped going into your account currently SS will just hold it till you get this straighten out. You can contact the folks in the PI by the info that THD provided however they'll just refer you to the ACS unit at the Consulate. That's your starting point at this stage. They'll provide you with the documents to request receiving the payments while your in VN. Then they provided to the folks in the PI who forwards it back to the States for approval. Once you receive that the back payments and monthly payments will start back up again into your Stateside accounts. Then the monthly trips to the Consulate start to show them your alive. The process might take you to 4 months. As a note, ACS is closed every Wednesday.

HI, thanks for the info. I think my best bet is to change my address back to my old Thai address. There was no problem with that address. What bothers me now is that I sent two emails to the US Consulate in HCMC asking for info on this with no reply.

Thanks again

lostvietdreamer wrote:

HI, thanks for the info. I think my best bet is to change my address back to my old Thai address. There was no problem with that address. What bothers me now is that I sent two emails to the US Consulate in HCMC asking for info on this with no reply.

Thanks again

In less your truly going to me moving back to Thailand and going to reside their that might not be a wise idea. The red flags are already flying and making a false statement now to the SSA about where your living would surly cause you some serious problems. Just saying.....

Budman1 wrote:
lostvietdreamer wrote:

Thanks again

In less your truly going to me moving back to Thailand and going to reside their that might not be a wise idea. The red flags are already flying and making a false statement now to the SSA about where your living would surly cause you some serious problems. Just saying.....

Budman is right.  Once you wake up the sleeping dog, proceed with caution and be honest.

Yes, I just had my payments stopped without notice and talking to SSA US does not help. I have someone overseeing my things while I have been away. They have his address in Hawaii in care of. The letter somehow did not get to me.

Any ideas???? I am in Cambodia and have registered my stay on STEP (Smart Traveler Enrollment Program)

Okay.... reading and reading other folks. I see that I may have done things right. I have an appointment at the US Consulate. I have form ssa-21.pdf. I am not working here. In addition I have emailed my Cambodia address to Manila and contacted ASC in Phenom Phen as well. Any comments, questions or fresh ideas would dearly be appreciated.

I hear many saying that you have to have an address in the US...wrong!!!  I gave up address in the US due to the garbage mail my relatives used to get.  I haven't had any paper mail in nearly 12 years.  In fact, up til this last year when I started drawing social security I receive information from them via the Embassy in HCMC. 
I told them at social security I did not have a residential address...anywhere!  I go from hotel to hotel, got about 250 cards over 10 years from where I've laid my head.  I told them I spent much of my time in Vietnam due to having a 'steady girlfriend'.  They asked for her address and seems to be fine with them.  No mail goes there either.   I have a US bank, my military retirement and my social security check are direct deposited.  Military pay has been like clock work for the past 23 years.  Social Security the same for a year now.  I just have to 'muster' and appear to sign my name once a month at the Embassy.  They send a member or two to DaNang every 3rd month as an "Outreach" project. 
You do not 'have to have an address in the US'!!  And I have no phone number and still travel throughout SE Asia when and where I like...I've e-mailed the Manilia office and have stated I will not 'reside' anywhere, I have no address in the US, I live and play in SE Asia...I'm retired and I did my 'assigned place at an assigned time'...15 months and the checks have not stopped!   If you are caught in a lie...it will also be a Federal Offense!  Why lie?  I told them straight up the truth and told them that there is no requirement that I have to have a 'residence' in the US to collect what is mine!

Heck no you don't need a address in the USA. As I'm retired here and we own our own home I do have a VN address that's on file with OPM, SSA and DFAS. Haven't missed a deposit (6 a month) to my USA  bank in over 7 years. SSA is the only one that has the "mother may I" requirement to report to the consulate every month though.

Budman1 wrote:

Heck no you don't need a address in the USA.

Budman, even though you're right, I'm very paranoid about giving up my USA address. I'll always have one, somewhere in the US, just in case...

Would using a mail forwarder work?  Such as http://www.usabox.com

Captnw4 wrote:

Yes, I just had my payments stopped without notice and talking to SSA US does not help. I have someone overseeing my things while I have been away. They have his address in Hawaii in care of. The letter somehow did not get to me.

Any ideas???? I am in Cambodia and have registered my stay on STEP (Smart Traveler Enrollment Program)

Okay.... reading and reading other folks. I see that I may have done things right. I have an appointment at the US Consulate. I have form ssa-21.pdf. I am not working here. In addition I have emailed my Cambodia address to Manila and contacted ASC in Phenom Phen as well. Any comments, questions or fresh ideas would dearly be appreciated.

If you talked to Ms Gomez in Manila at the SSA your in good hands. Besides the SSA-21 they also have another document that has to be filled out "STATEMENT FOR SSA ON REQUEST TO RECEIVE SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS IN VIETNAM" it's about 4 pages in total but quick and easy, most points are just checking the blocks. Might want to ask the folks at the Consulate to e-mail you a copy so you can fill it out and present it to them at the same time as your SSA-21 during your appointment. Now the good news and bad news part. Your SS has already been approved so you won't lose any money/time it'll all come back in one lump sum as soon as you get approval to draw it here in VN. The bad news is that it might take 4 to 6 months  to get that approval. It goes to an Independent office outside the SSA. Here's the process:

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0302650040#a

I've always wondered how travelling and spending significant time abroad effects one's residency status in the U.S. I use my U.S. address for everything (I did have problems with a bank card and with paypal the first time I tried to use either in Vietnam and had to contact them and verify my identity). I'm not a social security recipient but I have wondered what is an SSI recipient's obligation to report overseas travel? I do have a friend who is disabled and receives the disability part of Social Security and he is interested in visiting Vietnam. Are there any issues he should be aware of (like does he need to report his travels if he's only going overseas for a few weeks and if not: at what point does that fact need to be reported?)? For those of you receiving social security...if you maintain a U.S. address and travel between the U.S. and Vietnam at what point would you be considered to be living in Vietnam as opposed to the U.S. (this question is more for people who do spend time in the U.S. every year)?

Hey, Nam. You can learn alot by scanning back through this thread and subscribe to it so you get notifications from here into your email when someone posts. That is how I learned about your post here.

Wil

Thanks, Budman1. Looks like I am doing the right things. So far I have an appointment at the Consulate for the 25th. Your efforts are huge, unexpected and much appreciated. Thanks!

Captnw4 wrote:

Hey, Nam. You can learn alot by scanning back through this thread and subscribe to it so you get notifications from here into your email when someone posts. That is how I learned about your post here.

Wil

I didn't see the answer to my main question(s) which is: does an SSI recipient need to report short term overseas travel and what are the reporting obligations of someone who travels back and forth? For example say someone was in the United States for a month at a time either every 6 months or every 3 months and is travelling in Vietnam/Southeast Asia with no real fixed abode? Also for those receiving direct deposit...how exactly does the U.S. keep track of resident's overseas travel (for example when any of us leave the country are the feds keeping tabs on that?)?

Nam_ wrote:
Captnw4 wrote:

Wil

I didn't see the answer to my main question(s) which is: does an SSI recipient need to report short term overseas travel and what are the reporting obligations of someone who travels back and forth? For example say someone was in the United States for a month at a time either every 6 months or every 3 months and is travelling in Vietnam/Southeast Asia with no real fixed abode? Also for those receiving direct deposit...how exactly does the U.S. keep track of resident's overseas travel (for example when any of us leave the country are the feds keeping tabs on that?)?

@Nam, here's two links that should answer your question:

http://www.ssa.gov/international/paymen … ideUS.htmlhttp://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10137.html

Nam...Budman1 gave you some good info, check the sites out.  If in the US, I would request a meeting to specifically talk to someone face to face with the questions.  As to 'how it is supposed' to work...depending on several factors it depends.  I have not 'renounced my citizenship', only my 'residence', I have not had a US Address since 2003.  I left no mailing address and continue to state I have no 'residence' as I travel with only hotels under my backside.  I have only entered the US 2 times in the past 12 years.  I gave the SSA an address in Vietnam where my girlfriend's family 'house' is.  I also informed SSA that I do not 'reside' there and they should not send any paper mail.  I got no 'flack' from that, and receive as long as I 'sign in' once a month.  As to the government keeping 'tabs' on US citizens coming and going for long periods of time...I would think under the Patriot Act...that answer would be yes.  As to anyone else in the world...not a chance! 
I would imagine, the 'keeping track of travel'  can easily be done by typing the members name/ssn, ect., into the immigration data base and it should show the when, where and how long inside and outside each country. 
I have not been back to the US since the middle of 2008...I started my S/S just last year. 
The 'short term travel' would have to be less than 6 months if I remember correctly. As with all 'government forms' they always tell you to 'keep them informed'.   I found out that when you give them more information than they need...they screw it up.  Check the links given they should tell you.

I notice this post is around 5 months ago.  Wanted to ask if there is anything new regarding ss information that you know of?  I don't trust reading threads going back years for reliable/up to date info.  I have been traveling between the US and VN for the past 7 years because I still did business in the US. I finally applied for SS in Jan 2014 and have my check deposited to my US bank account each month.  I do not want to screw this up by asking for a paper check being sent to Saigon each month and waiting 4 - 6 months for processing time.  Its almost better for me to return to the US every 5 or 6 months to visit with family and friends.  I maintain a US address also.

The sticky part of this post is that I have a 6 year old son in Saigon.  Since I am officially retired I went to the SS office and asked if he was entitled to receive benefits from my SS for school expense, food, toys etc.  They in effect laughed at me saying there is no way they would approve this since I am not officially his primary care taker.  My sons mother recently married a man from the UK while he was visiting VN.  She also was finally approved to go to England to visit with him and I am sure she is doing her best to relocate there permanently.  I discussed with her that I want her to sign paperwork making me his primary caregiver and then I will apply for benefits for him.  I think she will agree to do this since she understands he will lose monthly income until he is 18. 

I will return to VN very soon and not need to leave for a minimum of 6 months.  If I take him to the embassy and have his birth mother sign that I am his legal care giver do I then apply for benefits via the embassy or through the SS office in Manila? He does have a US passport and Social Security card that I got for him 3 years ago so he is legally American.

By applying for benefits am I putting my SS in any jeopardy?  I believe the rules state that I cannot be out of the US for longer than 6 months without some type of reporting.  I am not a big fan of reporting to anyone since my SS is my money that was taken from my work checks for years and I detest the Big Brother mentality.  I just wish to live and let live, take care of my son, and live a peaceful life without hassle.

Thanks for taking time to read my post.  I address it to you since I have followed your past post and find them to be the voice of reason.

Many Western countries have special regulations if you live overseas from your home country.

Some of the penalties are minor, whereas others can result in substantial cuts in pensions/benefits.

The US is amongst the worst as they demand to know your whereabouts and your income. They also use banking information against you - for tracking, for example.

Other countries don't seem to care and rely more on reporting and official documents. I know of a guy, now deceased, who was 'collecting' his pension for at least seven years post death, or at least his wife was, as he had set up joint accounts and had given his bank, in his home country, to instructions to forward all monies to the Phils bank.

If you are making occasional visits to the USA, I suggest you maintain that 'impression' of living in the US by having all your correspondence delivered to a relatives US address. You might be smart setting up another account, in another bank (Bank 2), so your benefits going to your present bank are automatically forwarded to Bank 2 which you use with an ATM card in VietNam. Perhaps you could make your son a 'partner' on this account.

Governments are great at making 'assumptions' and many benefit you if you don't 'correct' paperwork.

At your death whatever passport you used to enter VN on will be the country VN authorities will notify of your death, and in the case of the US the SS benefits people will know within a month or two.

There has been a standing instruction for about 18 months that all US diplomatic posts should report everything they know about American citizens they come in contact with - so avoiding them is a good idea.

BTW, if you are made Primary Care Giver of your son, you should give your wife a Notarised statement stating she can take him wherever she wants - airlines often need this. After you die, she will become the automatic guardian.

Jaitch,
Thanks for your kind reply.  To be clear, your final paragraph tells me to give my wife a notarized statement.  My sons mother is not and never has been my wife.  She did tell me she recently married a UK citizen in VN and she is try to immigrate there. 

I am very fortunate to have found a one in a thousand vnese woman that I have been with for the past 5 years.  She is very gainfully employed, loves her work even though the hours can be long, and is in the position to impact many other life's for the better through her role as a company director.  We have talked of moving to the US but her father died a year ago and she is very sensitive to her mother's well being.  That said, for now, we will live in VN.

My intent is after my sons mother give me legal rights to my son, I will marry.  I plan on staying in VN and having my son attend International Western/VNese school.  We will jointly raise him in a stable environment.  My biggest issue I believe is how I will have his benefit paid to him in VN.  If and when I do file it will be clear we are both living in VN and this would signal SS that I no longer reside in the US.  It gets complicated as most things seem to be.

Set up a bank account for your son in the US and make whatever access arrangements you think appropriate (for his age and intended use of money). You could have the funds from this account forwarded/transferred automatically as I said above.

My experience is, in the US, the government generally checked on my account but not the types of transactions. In my business I have accounts in all the major countries I do business in, then I forward the funds to VN as required.

I have three passports (naturalisation) and carefully keep them, and the money information, partitioned. What/where I do things overseas is nobody's business other than mine and the country I reside in.

As for legal guardian (for airlines) WHAT does the BIRTH CERTIFICATE say for parents? If YOUR name is on Certificate you need to give the Mother a Notarised statement (in English and Vietnamese) that she has your permission to accompany him wherever.

Because of the Mexico divorce schemes in the USA (taking kids to Mexico) airlines are very cautious these days and often block children if their documents aren't straight.

If your name is NOT on the Birth Certificate, only hers, the child is OK for flying.

I hope you got your son a VN passport, as well as a US one. My daughter has four, including the Vietnamese one, and it means she can travel visa free to over 175+ countries.  I guess your son might end up with three passports (VN, UK, US) - always very useful.

Again thanks for your advice.  I only have his US passport at this time and his US social security card but your point is well taken to get him a VNese passport as well.  My name is on his birth cert and I also have from the US Embassy official documentation of a live birth abroad which lists me as his father.  This is what was needed to apply for both his passport and social security card.

I am still surprised that when at age 3 I took him to the US Embassy to get his passport which is the highest documentation of proof of citizenship they didn't bat an eye giving him a passport.  The lady looked at him and his passport photo and said he looked just like me and processed his passport immediately.  Its strange how what I expect to be a huge hassle ends up being a non issue and what I think is nothing becomes a nightmare.  I took him to the embassy last May to request a duplicate social security card because they told me via email they did send the original to his mothers address in VN.  Of course it never arrived or she was never notified.  I requested the duplicate be sent to my US address and it was here when I arrived back at home.  Since his passport is now 3 years old I asked about a new one and they said "do you want to do it today?"  They required his birth mother to also be there to make a new passport, so I put it off until I return and she can be there also.  Without her there this requires paperwork documenting why she can not be present. 

Any one reading this with a child needs to know their passport is only valid for 5 years and not the customary 10 years.  I never thought of this but it only makes sense.

Thanks for your help.  Its appreciated.

They required his birth mother to also be there to make a new passport, so I put it off until I return and she can be there also.  Without her there this requires paperwork documenting why she can not be present.

That's the anti-Mexico divorce protection kicking in. And the airlines carry it on.

One problem to think about is how you will renew passport in 5 years. Maybe you will have to complete the absent parent paperwork if your child is in the UK. Then you need the story why he is there and not you! You should declare as from the USA.

These things need planning!

Canada doesn't link databases, by law, so often information does cross. BUT Canada is sneaky enough to copy ENVELOPES they receive, so anything you mail to the US Gov might be better going through your relatives for re-mailing. When I get asked where I am living, by the Can Gov, I just say I am doing a nature study in a remote part of Canada.

A friend, who is retired, says he works for a drug gang and he is a watchman in a remote location for their 'lab'.  The Can Post Office is shrinking so mail drop boxes are more acceptable than before.The Social Insurance people never even passed the watchman info on! Not allowed to by law.

One way to make Social Services think you are in the US is to send them a dumb question about your pension. This will make think you are alive and well. Your survivors, at that time, could continue the practice for years!

It happend to me also, they are not supposed to do it right away but they do it anyway.
It is best not to tell them anything, it is best to stay away.
I heard this from other Americans also.